“Nice Hotel, but a bit confusing”
Review of AC Hotel Atocha

AC Hotel Atocha
Ranked #192 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Pennsylvania
“Nice Hotel, but a bit confusing”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We stayed at the AC Atocha on our recent trip in September to Spain. It was not an easy place to find and once we did it take a while to get used to. There were two buildings, and we stayed in the second building, which was quite a distance from the lobby via an elevator and a trip through a courtyard. The room was okay, but not great. It was small and sort of plain. Well maintained though.
The hotel was conveniently located however for us to catch a high speed train at the station that took us to Barcelona. The convenience was wonderful.

Room Tip: Ask for main building.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

Have been here for business trip, the hotel is very close to the Atocha train station, very central in Madrid. Very modern hall, nice and comfortable room, I like the style with glass shower in the middle of the room, bang & Olifson phone, and plenty of spaces.
Breakfast was great as well lots of choices, fresh baked bread, and good quality food.
People at the reception very professional, nothing to complain, I might say they are not very well preparred at customers issue, for instance I forgot my toothpaste it was late night and we're not able to provide me with a teeth brush set...
Overall good experience, I would consider staying at this hotel when in Madrid for pleasure trip as well.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Seattle
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Great looking rooms, excellent design, but front step attitude horrible. Wife waited 30 minutes in lobby with 4 suitcases and baby in carrier before staff even offered to help her to her room, while I dropped of the rental car. Bathroom lights are on a sensor that cuts out and staff response was we know but there is nothing we can do about it. Marriot needs to teach staff "Can Do" culture if they don't want this joint venture to bring down their reputation. I've stayed in other AC Hotels before the joint venture without any issues, so this is my first AC Hotels by Marriot experience and I was highly disappointed.

Room Tip: Wall are a little thin, so ask or and end or the corridor room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
USA
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Beautiful hotel and room but the showers are a glass see through box! We are far from prudes but we like our privacy when we shower. This place is fine if you are traveling solo but if you are a parent and child - unless you are nudists you will not like. As husband and wife, I still value my privacy and don't want my husband and vica versa watching me while I shower. It's all a bit too weird. I wouldn't even like this on my honeymoon. We left immediately and asked for a refund. They hotel understood as it was not mentioned on Hotels.com that the showers are see through. They could not refund us but Hotels.com did refund us when we returned home. The AC was very helpful in helping us find alternative nearby accommodation. They had a great staff.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Oslo
Reviewed October 27, 2013

The hotel is some 7 minutes on foot from the airport bus stop (you have to walk through the Atocha station to get it the other side), 15 min on foot from Prado museum, and 30 min on foot from Plaza Mayor-area. In other words, it is not very convenient for those staying in Madrid, but extremely convenient for those with early morning trains out of the city.

The decor is modern, black and white with a lot of steel, which makes the room very elegant, but maybe not a place to go for a romantic get-away. I loved it, and especially the shower, but to some it might feel cold and unpersonal. The room was very quiet, well-sized and clean.

Although close to the main train station, the area felt safe, even late at night.

The cons:
No free wi-fi in the room!!!
The breakfast starts at 07.30 a.m., which is relatively late for a place whose guests stay there in order to take early morning trains.
There was no bread or other bakery good at breakfast, although, judging by the presence of jams and sliced hams, they bread was supposed to be served as well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jo-dr
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 24, 2013

This is a good location, close to Atocha train station and very walkable to many museums and parks. It is a modern facility, but not a very friendly staff. The restaurant and bar service is pricey. They provide a bar refrigerator and glasses, but do not have ice available!

Room Tip: Request a room at the end of the corridor and away from the elevator.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Back again and happy to be in the same hotel and the same room. Hotel staff basically unchanged and very welcoming. For those that have said the staff is not so friendly, try to smile and say a few words in Spanish before jumping hard into English...you will be happy you did. I find the front desk team to be very welcoming if you take a little bit of time on your own. They are not concierges so don't expect that kind of city wide knowledge. But they will help you and share their recommendations. The rooms are as most people have described, clean, modern, and very functional. Wifi mostly very good and is free in the lobby. The area does have a lot of good restaurants and you are only about 3 blocks from 3 supermarkets. And did I mention they stock the minibar with free drinks, including beer if you are so inclined. The TV has 3 English language channels (French English news, BBC, and CNBC). Spanish channels are great to watch futbol...which they take very seriously here! I suspect that most people that come to this hotel are only here for a few days so their experiences can sometimes be hit or miss. business travelers mostly want "reliable" experiences..wake up calls on time, breakfast functional and wifi reliable. i'm here for work and this hotel delivers. for tourists, this is also a good spot because of relatively cheap and quick access to metro / bus services. the neighborhood is a mixture, some good and some not so good, but isn't this the same for a lot of cities? Just watch for the doggie landmines and you will do fine. And take the warnings about pickpockets to heart. Sad but true and most of the people here will lookout for each other. I've had several times on the metro where I did not notice my bag was only partially zip and a stranger alerted me to the problem...and no, not after something was stolen.

Room Tip: I prefer rooms in the main building, as high as possible.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business