NH Madrid Nacional(Madrid)
$134
$110
NH Hotels
Savings alert! 21% below average rates

The price you found is 21% lower than this hotel's average rate of $139/night.

$201
$189
Only YOU Hotels
$187
$172
NH Hotels
$92
Savings alert! 46% below average rates

The price you found is 46% lower than this hotel's average rate of $169/night.

$134
$115
  • Pool
Hotel Catalonia Plaza Mayor(Madrid)
$214
Catalonia Las Cortes(Madrid)
$171
$155
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of $179/night.

$301
$282
  • Pool
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $316/night.

All reviewstrain stationglass showerclear glassmain buildingshower cabinwalking distanceminute walkmodern designhotel is locatedstayed here for one nightreina sofiatapasconvenient locationbusiness tripprado museumbreakfast buffet isplaza mayor
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is not an awful hotel, but it is simply not up to the Marriott standard. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and quiet, which of course is the most important thing, so had it just been any Madrid hotel, I would have only been mildly annoyed. However, having stayed in Marriotts all over the world as a rewards member, I was expecting far better than what I got here, and it was infuriating.

The front desk staff is simply not helpful, as I see other reviewers have mentioned. The first night we were there, we needed extra towels. We asked in person at the front desk and they said they would call for more. When they didn't arrive, we called the front desk a couple hours later. They said they'd send some, but they still didn't arrive, and we eventually gave up. When we asked for directions, the Madrid map they provided didn't include the hotel. "It's right here," the woman explained, pointing a couple of inches off the map. So you're lost as soon as you step out the front door, because you first have to find your way onto the map.

All the Marriott rewards program literature makes it very clear that gold members are entitled to a free breakfast. We are gold members, but the hotel insisted that they didn't participate in this promotion. (The breakfast is quite limited here and is by no means a huge meal, so they were basically annoying frequent customers to avoid giving us a couple of free pieces of toast.)

I'm used to going into Marriotts with our gold card and receiving great service in exchange, but the rewards program didn't seem to ring a bell at all here. It's not unusual for us to receive room upgrades. While I never go in expecting one, I do expect to at least not receive the worst-located room, which is what we got here. The hotel has two separate buildings connected by a courtyard/walkway, and it's literally a block and a half away. To reach our room, we had to go in the front door, take the elevator to a lower floor, walk down a long hallway, walk through the outdoor walkway, and take the next elevator to the sixth floor. This is particularly annoying when you consider that the keys they gave us rarely worked on the first try. Sometimes we would insert the key upwards of ten times before we'd get the little green light. After you've hiked to your room after a long day of sightseeing, the last thing you want to do is go all the way back to the front desk to get your key fixed, but we did this twice. And this wasn't a one-time issue - all the keys we were given in our six night there were bad. I complained to the front desk about how annoying the key thing was and didn't even get an apology.

If you're looking for a clean hotel near the train station, this is an okay choice. But if you're expecting Marriott service, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for one in the main building!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rachel724
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights after taking AVE from Valladolid and wanted to go to Madrid transport museum. The location isn't great for exploring Madrid but this hotel is very good value if you like modern slightly businessy hotels. Room was slightly in the small side and no hit food at breakfast but after a week if hot buffet breakfasts the change was welcome! There's a charge for Wifi but it's free in huge lobby and we wre on floor 2 and te laptop (not mobiles) could pick up the free wifi but the speed wasn't great.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I travelled with a friend to Madrid and found the Atocha easily located near the main Atocha train station. We walked with luggage from the station.

The hotel is decorated in mainly dark grey colour with contemporary features. It felt quite corporate and we only saw one other woman guest in the 2 nights there.

The hotel is extremely clean and has all the basics in the room, other than complimentary tea/coffees that we are used to in the UK.

it's very stylish but with all the dark grey, felt a bit oppressive.

If sharing a room, you would need to know the other person very well as there was no separating door to the bathroom area. When using the loo or shower, we had to ask the other to stay in the bedroom area and turn the music up!!!

I didn't sleep well on the first night as being a light sleeper and the room was by the road. We changed rooms for the second night and were located by the quiet garden. Much better for sleep. However, when we came home late and walked through the garden to get to that part of the hotel, felt a little nervous as it was pretty dark.

Overall, a perfectly ok hotel typically 3 out of 5.

Room Tip: Choose a room by the garden not the road but by aware that it is a dimly lit garden you pass through to get to the other part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I booked this hotel based on its competitive rates, convenient location, my previous experiences with AC hotels (all positive) and the connection with Marriott's reward program. The location was indeed fine - Convenient to Atocha rail station & museums. Facilities were clean, with AC's typical contemporary style. I'm guessing most people will either love or hate the rooms, with open hanging space & glass shower enclosure. I liked it. Unfortunately, all of that was far outweighed by the problems I experienced during my three day stay & lack of concern from the hotel staff. Inconveniences - Slow internet and broken fitness center equipment. The real problem though was the aforementioned shower. The water temperature would swing from lukewarm to scalding hot in under a second, with no warning. The time of day didn't seem to matter, and co-workers who were also staying there had the same thing happen to them, so I have to assume this is a problem with the hotel's plumbing. When I reported it to the front desk, the response was "There's nobody on-site today who can look at this - Would you like to change rooms?" I saw no point given what I had heard from my colleagues, and when I explained that to the Front Desk clerk her response was essentially "Oh, well, there's nobody on-site today who can look at this." No apology, and seemingly no concern that multiple guests were reporting a potentially hazardous situation. There are too many other options nearby - I'll choose from one of them next time.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel? If you do book here, request a room on a high floor overlooking the 'garden'.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank J-Period
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We loved it. It's a 5 - 10 minute walk from at least 2 different subway lines and is located a short taxi ride away so overall a great location. Also, it's on a quiet side street and if you get a room facing the courtyard/garden it's surprisingly quiet considering you are in the middle of Madrid. We highly reommend this place although note that the showers are basically glass boxes in the middle of the room so that might not be ideal if you have children or are traveling with someone that you wouldn't want to see you in the shower. The bed was extrememly comfortable and we slept incredibly well!

Room Tip: As them for a room that faces the garden or one of the quiet streets (one side is along the main road).
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple