“Excellent food and a great location” 5 of 5 bubbles

D'Fabula
Ranked #6,035 of 10,439 Restaurants in Madrid
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish, European, Delicatessen, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Centro
Description: Restaurante de Cocina de Mercado. Nuestra terraza, un tesoro abierto todo el ano. Gastronomia. Tapas. Vinos. GinTonic. Chef Ana Roldan.
Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent food and a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

D'Fabula is on a small residential plaza just off the Plaza Major (Plaza del Conde de Barajas 3) but you would never know it is near any tourist destination. Terrific young chef, great food and a wonderful patio under some old trees. Friendly and attentive service, excellent meat and fish dishes.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
“Amazing food in quiet plaza near Plaza Mayor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Eager to get away from the craziness of Plaza Mayor at lunchtime on a Saturday in August, my husband and I started venturing away from the Plaza. We very quickly came upon a restaurant in a surprisingly quiet plaza a couple of blocks away from Plaza Mayor. We were two of only a handful of patrons eating outside. We asked for both the tapas and regular menu and were given a few suggestions for tapas by a very helpful waiter. He told us about particular tapas had won awards. They were all amazing and difficult to describe, combining many tastes and textures such as a soft cooked egg with wine encased in a sweet roll. All were inventive variations on classic Spanish tastes and ingredients. My husband ordered the suckling pig which he loved and I also enjoyed even though it's not usually what I like to eat. We then had a delicious dessert - green melon soaked in olive oil with mojito sorbet. Since we were only in Madrid for half a day on our way back to NY from Andalusia, we almost decided to skip dinner so that we could end our trip on the high note of this wonderful meal but then decided to return in the evening for dinner. We were greeted by the same friendly staff (they even brought the 25-year old female chef out to greet us at the end of our dinner) and focused our meal on seafood. We were given some delicious Iberico ham to start (for free) and then we had snails (very spicy) and a beautiful presentation of scallops. We shared paella (must order for two) which was delicious like everything else and once again had the same melon dessert. We had the same wine at lunch and dinner - they called it their house wine and it was very reasonably priced and quite good. We thought that the quality of the food totally surpassed the prices which we considered to be very reasonable given that we were in a big city and the level of sophistication and taste of the food was so high. I would unreservedly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Madrid.

• Visited August 2012
McHenry, Illinois, United States
“A great meal all around.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

My wife and I had ate here for our anniversary. The patio setting where you ate was nice and the small plaza where the restaurant was located was not in the busy area which definetly made it quieter. The dinner was excellent. If you can afford to splurge a little go with the Filet of the T-bone. They bring it to you partially cooked and you are allowed to finish cooking it as you liked. The steak was one of the better steaks I´ve had anywhere. The sangria was one of the better ones my wife and I had in Spain. I would definetly go back anytime that I am traveling in Spain.

• Visited August 2012
Madrid, Spain
“Under cook meal and wrong order”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

We ordered the marinated mussels which was good but a little fishy. My daughter ordered the braised steak medium and I ordered the grouper. Her steak was raw and the waiter gave me what turned out to be the suckling pig. I asked him if that was the grouper that I ordered and he said yes. I gave him the benefit of the doubt because maybe something was lost in translation. I decided to eat it because it was late and we were tired. It was gamey so my streak continues for bad food in Madrid.

We aren't having much luck with food in Madrid so far. My advice is pick restaurants wisely.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Fairfax, Virginia
“Pleasant restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

The tapas here are very tasty but come in small portions. The restaurant is in a small plaza off the Calle de Cuchilleros. They have very interesting tapas, such us duck with pear sauce, tripe a la madrilena, all very tasty and since they are not large one can taste a variety of them. One surprising good drink is beer with lemonade.

Visited July 2012