“Avoid!”
Review of Way Hostel

Way Hostel
Ranked #13 of 428 Specialty Lodging in Madrid
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Having stayed in a hell of a lot hostels this has to be one of the worst. I know this is budget accommodation, but it was filthy! There is not enough toilets there being one 2 ladies on a floor with at least 20 rooms. They were never clean, bins were always overflowing with sanitary products and never enough toilet roll.The showers doors are see through so if someone wanted to use the toilet they would see you naked in the shower as there was lock on the bathroom door, very awkward at times. Having eaten all kinds of street food all over the world i was very shocked to get ill off the one euro paella. I know this is nobody's fault and its just one those things but still!
Oh dear the booking........I was booked in for 5 nights and i requested to be in my friends room who i was meeting from a different country, this didn't happen but they couldn't find my booking even when i showed the receipt through hostel bookers, the guy on the desk was brilliant and tried his best, i managed to get a bed in a 12 room but i had to move EVERYDAY to a new room (working in hotel i know he could have just to moved around a few bookings) . On the 4th day i went to go check out of my room again only to be told today i didn't have to move ,great i thought.
I had an early night after being up all night the night before being sick from the paella,only to be woken by some girl shouting "oi you" and shaking me awake accusing me of stealing her bed. When i went down to reception the guy who originally booked me was on the desk and he said "i told you you had move rooms everyday why didn't you?" by this point i was fuming and tried to calmly explain that guy on the morning shift had told me i didn't need to move, there followed a 10 convo on who the guy was! i stood my ground and said i wasn't moving again i am asleep and i am checking out in the morning and its 2 am you will have to sort the problem out all while this loud mouth Canadian breathing down my neck tell me i had "stolen her bed!!!" Eventually it was sorted, maybe this just a one off but i must of stayed in 100's of hostels and i don't except great service or it to be sparkling clean but this was just a joke.

Also seemed to be lot of ignorant people who like to make a lot of noise when they come in. When chatting to other people its seems to be a popular hostel for first time travelers from Canada, USA and the UK who don't seem to have much thought yet for other travelers.
On the plus side the location is great. free breakfast, free internet and a few really helpful staff.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
FiloWay, Director General at Way Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your feedback, since out of the many people we host, only a few leave their opinions, wich make us improve our services.
You stayed with us during August, one of the busiest months troughout the year, and although we always try our best to avoid people changing rooms, sometimes it is not possible due to availability, like it happened to you. Being an experienced traveller like you say, I imagine you understand the reason why we could not leave you always in the same room. Moreover, you booked the nights in different rooms, so before coming, you knew that you would have to switch dorms. I do understand it is annoying, but after all we just respected your booking/s.
I am really sorry for your feedback regarding the cleaniness, since it is one the issues we care more about. Precisely in September we made changes within our cleaning system and staff, because it is hard to motivate people all the time when it comes to picking up the filth other ones left behind. In this point I deeply apologize and assure you that after the changes we made, the cleaning aspect is one of the strongest ones again in Way.
About the Paella I cannot be other than surprised. We get fresh products at the market everyday and our cook is an experienced one. Since we started with it, 8 months ago, we never got nothing but excellent feedback about his food, so I find it hard to believe that it made you fell sick as you pointed out. Maybe it could have been something else. In any case, it is a pitty you did not say nothing to us so we could find out better.
I think it is not my responsability to reply your feedback regarding fellow travellers, so to this point I just wish you better luck with future experiences.

Hope your travels went on better and this reply finds you well.

Kindest regards.
Felipe

Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed in Way Hostel in August 12. It has been of the greatest back packer community feeling I have found in a hostel.
On different nights of the week they provide 1 Euro meals. The portions are small but you can go back of another for another Euro! I had both the pizza and paella which was well worth it, I had three portions!
They don't have laundry facilities however they do have a sister hostel about 5 mins away with a commercial laundromat running beside it. I believe it was 4 Euros for you to leave your laundry for a wash, dry and pick up later.
I do suggest you stay away from the tapas and pub crawl the hostels partners provide. The one New Madrid tours provide are better value for money.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank S-STravels86
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is an okay hostel, great staff, decent location, but no bar area, and most of the time the common area is full of people playing on their computers.

The beds and bathrooms are clean and comfy, I really like their beds in fact, the comforters were very comfortable.

Again great staff, but I think there are more fun hostels to stay in if that's what your looking for.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 10, 2012

The hostel is located a few mins walk from Sol, very near to a Metro and about 20 mins walk from the Prado. The staff in the hostel were very nice, and the kitchen was well equipped. Internet was free unlike some other places. Good experience overall.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Rupert R
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I came to Way Hostel having stayed in another disappointing hostel in Madrid. I checked out of that one and came to Way Hostel and had a really great time.

The staff are really really friendly and helpful. There's a really nice kitchen which is really handy if you want to cook your own food. There's a really nice sociable area, I met loads of people and had a really good time.

Location is great, rooms are comfortable and clean, and bathrooms are private and good too.

Only criticism I would make is there doesn't seem to be any security when entering, they should probably look into getting a door where you buzz in. Also, I had to wait a bit one morning to use the bathroom.

Otherwise, a really really nice hostel, highly recommended!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Maxmax_o
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I spent 5 nights here and as my first hostel experience it was great. Very clean, comfortable beds, and 1€ paella was a nice dinner option. The walking tours of Old Madrid were good, the pub crawls fun. Staff were excellent, showed me some good tapas bars. Wifi throughout the building was a nice touch. It's close to the Puerta del Sol and a nearby metro station, and a grocery store.

Strongly recommend.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I spent a week at this hostel and had a brilliant time. The staff are all friendly and helpful, there are great organised days/nights/events out and there is a great atmosphere. The bar crawl is led by two different guys and they will show you a great time The location is great for walking to/fro Sol and the metro couldn't be closer! The rooms are a good size, clean and safe! 100% recommended!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends