“Eat hot chocolate with a spoon! A must in Madrid!”
Review of El Riojano

El Riojano
Ranked #34 of 261 Coffee & Tea in Madrid
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Centro
Reviewed March 24, 2013

From the outside, it looks like a nice old pastry store except it sounds noisy (cannot see) in the back.

When the lady at the counter asked whether I wanted to eat in or take out my pastries, I asked whether there was a price difference. 'Not now,' (It was around noon.) was her reply. Yes, please.

When I was waited inside, the ambiance reminds me of the old Russian Tea Room in New York City without the cost and attitude. I fell in love with its charm.

I first ordered coffee until I saw a young lady diagonally across from me spooning her cup. The waitress was happy to change my order to hot chocolate. She said that is very popular at her store.

Yes. It was the most delicious hot chocolate I have ever tasted!

Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

Popped in here after it was pointed out by our tour guide as where parliament continues to get their cake from after it was established in 1855. Indeed the tea room out the back is lovely to sit and relax for a few minutes. They have a wide variety of pastries and cakes, we tried a flavoursome coffee meringue, a lovely sweet raspberry pastry and and an apple pastry. Perhaps not the best pastries in Madrid but still very nice.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

When you are in Madrid and feel like some late breakfast or coffee, I would highly recommend El Riojano! Each time I am in Madrid, I never miss the opportunity to sit and enjoy this café. The service may not be the best in the city, but the tea room and the shop are a think of beauty and the food is excellent. The interior is gorgeous and it is a haven of calm, whilst some 100m from there the city is buzzing on Plaza del Sol. Great place to flee the stress or to just have a short coffee break before running back into the busy city.

1  Thank meierpat
Reviewed November 18, 2011

At the front is a shop selling delicious cakes and sweets, at the back is a cafe a lot like an English Tea Room, also providing delicious cakes, and tea and coffee. They really are very good and great value. The staff are very friendly and helpful. For me, Madrid is rather a noisy, smoggy, busy, city, and so it was bliss to stumble on an oasis of calm and quiet that also provided great cakes and coffee. If you're at all like me, and at some point in the day just fancy a nice sit down and a cup of tea, please seek out this tea room and relax. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

Reviewed September 16, 2011

El Riojano is one of the oldest cake and pastry shops in Madrid, dating back to 1855. A family business where you can find all sorts of sweet (and some savoury) temptations, with a delightful window and shop display in the original carved wood and bronze counter and shelves. The service is truly wonderful, prices are very reasonable, and quality is exceptional, specially when it comes to their home-made whipped cream. A veritable treat that you can easily walk off strolling around the historic quarter of the city. Watch out for their creamy Roscon de Reyes and hot chocolate around Christmas time- in my opinion, this is the best in Madrid. In the summer, they make their own (also delicious) ice-cream, so you have to sample their goodies throughout the seasons!