“Inexpensive and really not bad - I'd do it again”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Madrid Prado
Ranked #130 of 445 Hotels in Madrid
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston
“Inexpensive and really not bad - I'd do it again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

The hotel is certainly well located. I’ve only stayed at Radisson Blu once or twice in other cities, and have overall found it to be a nice chain. Being in an old building, I almost expected old accommodations, but I was pleasantly surprised to find very modern ones. That said, the building IS pretty old, and the rooms are quite small, so noises travel easily. And yes, the room was certainly very small (with just enough space for the bed – which was admittedly very comfortable – and a couple of really tiny side tables). There was barely any natural light, and I’ll have to agree with Andy M. about their lack of attention to detail. For example: I was surprised to see they didn’t replace my body wash or shampoo once they’d ran out – I had to ask for new ones. I ordered breakfast in my room one day, and they forgot to include basics like butter and jam. The TV kept turning back to the “Home” channel every 5-10 minutes, for no apparent reason… that sort of thing, but nothing that would deter me from returning.

BTW, I disagree with the comment about rude staff – I actually found the people there to be among the nicest folks I’ve encountered in Spain (and I travel there several times per year). Also, the internet was free and very reliable (much better than the Hilton, where I usually stay). As for food, I had breakfast in my room one morning (see above comments); I also ate it downstairs on the second morning – good, but definitely overpriced – and skipped it on the third. Same thing with dinners: room service once (very few choices); and in-house restaurant once (during the night of the general strike, which kept me indoors for safety reasons). Not a wide menu either, but decent food – oh, and kudos to the waiter, who was working alone that night due to the strike and did a very good job taking care of everyone. All of this said, there are plenty of options nearby so, unless you’re on a tight schedule (or during “street-riots season”) you shouldn’t have any issues food-wise.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

My pregnant wife and I decided to stay here given the location in terms of its close proximity to restaurants and the museums. On the first night, my wife awoke in a flustered state as the air conditioning was not working. Although we are in November, this is a hotel in the city centre and gets hot ! we called the reception at 3a.m and they said they would reduce the temperature for us. THEY CONTROLLED THE ROOM TEMP ?? They never did, we had a bad night, which cost us quite a bit of the next day. We left for our sightseeing, and informed them the issue hadn't been fixed. Upon our return they reassured us it was all okay. It was not - and we had to request a room change. The help - Muhammed - was awful. his attitude was not what you would expect, he felt that we were fussy and showed ZERO empathy for my pregnant wife. You expect some service when you pay 170 Euros a night !!! It is a stuffy hotel, with clean rooms, a nice feel when you enter. Location is keeping the place in business. All it takes is fo fix your cooling system, and train your staff in customer service.

Room Tip: Do not upgrade to the business room - it is exactly the same as the resular room but with a 0.5 metr...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Careerbreakers2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We waited more than a half a day to register and get in our room. After flying all night ,this was unsatisfactory.
We arrived at 10:30 AM ( when booking we asked for early arrival) and were told by the desk man to wait 20 minutes to get in a room that was being cleaned. After an hour, we came back and he said 10 minutes more, then 15 minutes more, than one hour more. It seems the maid did not clean the room. After several hours ,I asked for the Manager. When she heard I was from Mpls where Carlson Companies has it's headquarters ,we were immediately led to a very nice room.

Rabat, Morocco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

We usually stay inthe Salamanca area, but we decided to change on our last visit to Madrid. We found the Radisson quite nice. We had a very comfortable room, not very big but again, quite comfortable. The bathroom had everything we needed. My husband had forgotten his shaving kit back home.he called the reception and they sent one up right away. Breakfast was quite good. The staff was very professional and friendly. It isalso well situated-next to 3 of Madrid's most famous museums. It is also not to far away from Plaza Mayor ans Puerta del Sol. Werecommend it!

Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Very nice and cozy hotel. Well situated - right in the center, next to PRADA museum. Very helpful staff. Rooms require a little renovation, but the stuff and place compensates very well for that ! I also enjoyed with my family midsized pool and sauna downstairs.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Visited Madrid for the first time, and as a Carlsson group card holder, used some of my points to pay for the room for 3 days.
Perhaps it was because I paid for the room using points, not cash, we were given what I felt was the smallest room in the hotel.
I had emailed several days before my visit to ask if memory foam pillows could be supplied to the room, I got no reply and no foam pillows! Lack of attention to details!
Our flight was delayed so we arrived later than we should have, in the room, no bath towels and no bathrobes, lack of attention to details!
I rang and asked for both (I speak reasonable Spanish) and got bathrobes, no towels - details! Second call I got towels as well, but lack of attention to details begin to grate on you when you have arrived tired, hungry and you want a shower and go out to eat but these problems delay you for nearly an hour!
The room we had (204) was small, one wardrobe door didn't open fully because the bedside table was too close. The sink plug in the bathroom didn't seal properly, a light bulb was missing in the shower, grubby paintwork and chipped wood all made the room feel "cheap" all lack of attention to details
The Nespresso coffee capsules weren't replaced, but hey! It's not good coffee anyway! Details
In the room book it says "ask for a late checkout" I did, no chance! Details, details!

I would have thought that having a regular Radisson guest book in to their hotel, they would have flagged up the fact and double checked that the room had everything in it that it should have and their regular guest shouldn't have had to call them to get the basics put into their room.

It's a nice hotel, situated a few minutes walk from the major galleries and museums and 15 minutes walk from Plaza Major, but, oh boy! Do they need to pay attention to the details!
I'm now looking at other hotel groups as this Radisson experience wasn't very good!

4 Thank Andy M
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed here on my fourth visit to Madrid and this hotel was my favorite. It is located right next to the Prado. The rooms are on the smaller side (it's Europe) by American standards but the hotel is really nice and the rooms are comfortable.

The front desk staff was also very friendly and answered any questions we had.

When looking at a place to stay in Madrid, this should be on your list.

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple