“Great duck cannelloni with cheese sauce”
Review of Restaurante Kitchen Stories - CLOSED

Restaurante Kitchen Stories
Cuisines: International
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centro
“Great duck cannelloni with cheese sauce”
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

This is the first time I've eaten duck cannelloni, and I have to say it was ally good.
The fillet hake with tomato confit and mushroom pastry with truffle oil was by good too. However, their version of tiramisu for us was a miss. Too much cream but some may like it.

The restaurant was quite empty at around 1pm and the waiter was attentive and polite. This was one of the few places we didn't have to search out the waiters and try to catch their attention for service.

They only had a few seats outdoors so we sat indoors.
All in all a good lunch and we would come back again

Visited June 2013

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Food ok, average service”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We had high hopes looking at other reviews and was very excited to try Kitchen Stories even booking before we went to Madrid.

The food was good (childrens menu not great). There was not much atmosphere and there was a long wait in between courses. When they brought the next course they had to clear the plates before they could put down the food. We were told that there was a big demanding party, but seeing as the place was half empty this felt like a bit of an excuse.

Kauai Hawaii
“Excellent mushroom risotto”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

On recommendation from the diner next to me and the waiter as well, ordered the mushroom risoot... Excellent! And the accompaning Roija wine, their house wine, was perfect. My dining partner had the paella which was reported to be good but not great. We shared a tasty lemon cake (called pudding on the menu, but it was a cake) Just outside Plaza Mayor close to Botin restaurant, no hesitations recommending this place!

Honolulu, Hawaii
“Good food but extremely slow service”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We tried this place because it featured non-traditional Spanish food, and it was a change of pace from eating a lot of tapas and the same kind of food for several days. We got there around 9pm and sat in the small dining room (it was a little cold outside). The waitstaff was friendly but it was soon clear that their attention was on the tables outside and not inside. A couple across from us received their entrees so far apart that the man finally had to eat because his entree was getting cold (he got the pork chop which looked great). Then they waited, and waited and waited. We were witnessing this thinking that our party of 4 (with 2 kids) would not be served until 10pm!

My husband ordered the noodles - "fresh" pasta with creamy chicken. I ordered the roast duck cannelloni with cheese. My boys ordered a teriyaki chicken and a burger. Everything tasted great. The pasta seemed more like egg noodles and the flavors were more Asian-inspired than Italian. The roast duck was delicious -- cooked well and very lean. The duck was wrapped in a spinach (I think) tortilla (like the Mexican kind) with cheese inside, and looked more like a burrito rather than a cannelloni. The chicken and burger came as expected and my boys loved it and ate it all.

But... it was near 10pm by the time we got our food. And when I ordered I asked if all the food could be brought together (avoiding what happened to the couple across from us).... I'd recommend it for a break from the normal Spanish fare, but be prepared for a wait.

Vancouver
“Good food in Madrid”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Who knows, Hemingway might have liked to have eaten here, after all the food is honest, straight forward, clear. We stumbled upon this little jewel of a spot on our first night in Madrid, and what luck. After tons of tapas in Lisbon we just wanted something simple: my wife ordered the classic beef burger and my daughter and I both had the roast duck cannelloni -- we were all happy. The cannelloni and the burger were both terrific, full of favour, with caramelized onions. For starters we had a wonderful crispy aubergine dish with a smoky honey sauce and a quite nice guacamole dip.
Our server was pleasant and attentive, unlike so many in Madrid, and she struggled gamely with English as we struggled gamely with our Spanish. Kitchen Stories is located very near Plaza Mayor, thankfully not on it, and its space has patios both on Calle Toledo and on Calle Cuchilleros. Avoid the Calle Toledo side. As it was late and getting cold we sat inside, a nice bright space. To top it off the wine was good and the prices reasonable. Highly recommended.