“Very unique style nice location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Petit Palace Art Gallery

Petit Palace Art Gallery
Ranked #72 of 444 Hotels in Madrid
Zürich
“Very unique style nice location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

The hotel is located not far from several subway stations, which makes it easy accessible from the airport (approx. 30 mins) and huge shopping street is also only around the corner.
The hotel itslef is great! Nice architecture - design meets age - and it has very clean rooms. Even though I was given a smokers room, there was no smell at all in the room. In addition to the computer in the lobby, each room also has its own laptop and WIFI.
Rooms to the streetside are still quite as street is not very busy.
Breakfast offers different styles, from spanish breakfast to cornflakes and fresh fruits.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank L_Doro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

Room wasn't as booked. So we were moved...just about and begrudgingly by the rude staff. That room was right by the lifts so noisy. The jacuzzi didn't work, nor did the TV or the iPod/Radio in the room. Not very high tech. If we'd paid 50 Euros a night this would have been fine but not for 100 Euros. Would not recommend.

Room Tip: Don't book a room by the lifts and try to get one on the front - the ones on the back look out o...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Cumbria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights in July with two young children. The hotel is full of character and style with large clean rooms and swish bathrooms! I found the staff to be very helpful and the free dvds for our 2 year old was a nice touch. We got a good deal for the room online and so thought it was good value.

I was a little worried about staying here after reading a few reviews which mentioned the noisy nightclub across the street. However, we didn't hear any noise outside and our room was right on the street corner.

The surrounding restaurants and shops are high quality but were a bit expensive for us and the food in the hotel was quite expensive too (although apparently the club sandwich was delicious).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JoseMaria971, dpto webs at Petit Palace Art Gallery, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Hi,

Thank you very much for your comment. We like you have stayed in our Petit Palace Art Gallery. We hope you comeback soon, we will be waiting for you!

Sincerely yours,
Kaiserslautern, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

Pros; For most part the hotel design is very interesting in design with glass walled bathrooms and but not much privacy for a large family. I ended up using the lobby bathroom for most part. But I got a great deal for 100euros a night for a family of four. Free wi-fi, and laptop in your room was nice. I was on the 5th floor so the early morning noises from club goers did not bother me. And our staff for most part was very helpful.
CONS: No room service for one whole day, so we ran short on toilet paper and piled up on some trash from bringing food back to the room; no privacy in bathroom; laptop was on it's last leg; did not eat the food because it was very pricey. But for 100 euros a night what can you ask for. I wouldn't pay more than that though. Finally, centrally located within walking distance of various attractions and historical sites, just be prepared to walk a lot. I almost forgot, hotel does not offer there own parking. There is underground parking around the corner but be prepared to pay up to 28 euros for one overnight. Parking alone cost me 85 euros for 2 and half days. I would check other options if possible.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Hi!

Thank you very much for your comment. We are satisfied you have stayed in our Petit Palace Art Gallery. However, we are sorry for the problems you have found.
We work each day to improve our service and installations. We'd love you to comeback soon, it would be great!

Sincerely yours,
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2011

Overall, a three star hotel- a clean, quiet hotel located in the Salamanca neighborhood, just a 5 minute walk from the northern tip of Retiro Park- for 120 euros/night. Having access to a computer with internet might override the poor, poor customer service- and make it worthwhile to stay here.

We stayed here after a horrible experience at a hotel on Gran Via (the loud, crowded busy street in the city center). We reserved the hotel for 120 euros a night and arrived early on Friday morning- there was a room available immediately, so they kindly gave us the key at 11am.

Our room was normal sized, and was equipped with a special shower with extra massage showers, a high tech safe (which relies on a credit card swipe rather than a passcode) a small tv and a laptop computer connected to wireless.

Upon arrival to our room after a day of sightseeing, we were told that if we wanted breakfast at the hotel, it would cost 16 euros per person (what a rip). Our computer internet was not working and when I called reception, they asked me if i checked to see if the cord was connected. There was no cord. I called back and told her that that there was no cord. I was told that someone would come to help me in 5 minutes. 30 minutes passed and no one arrived. I called again. 10 minutes later, someone arrived (who was not that friendly) to get a cord and plug it in to the internet. The receptionists at the hotel, surprisingly for a city like Madrid, don't speak English very well (our receptionists in Sevilla and Granada spoke better English)- and we had a difficult time communicating when I asked them to give us a wake up call in the morning. On our way out for the day on Saturday, I asked if the hotel could book us on the free hotel shuttle on Sunday morning - the shuttle departs every 90 minutes, so we booked the shuttle time closest to our flight departure. Later that evening, when we arrived in time for our siesta at 6, we were told that the shuttle was "broken" and that there would be no service to the hotel on Sunday morning. We were instructed to take the metro or take a taxi to the airport. How does offering a customer that option (that costs 40 euros, I might add) an appropriate substitution for a free service that doesn't require you to lug your suitcases up and down stairs? I spoke with the receptionist and asked them to comp our taxi fare- and she said that she would have to ask a manager to find out if this was possible, but that it was not likely. When I shared my frustration at their poor customer service, she said there was nothing she could do to help because her manager was not there. (why she could not email or call her manager i do not understand).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank AnuM2011
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2010

If you are thinking of staying here - DON'T.
The problem is a night club across the road open until 6am in the morning, Thursday to Saturday.
While I was there, we had a street brawl with at least ten youths fighting on the street in front of my room. Every night from Thursday to Saturday the club would have patrons on the footpath in front of it singing, yelling, fighting.
The Hotel was completely ineffectual at combating the situation.
The Police visited several times but were also completely ineffectual .
Bottom line
If you do not mind being unable to sleep between 3am and 7am, Then this is perfect.
Otherwise move on book another hotel
There is nothing so special here for anyone to want to stay here. There are much better hotels.
In case you are interested my company book my accommodation, I have no say. If I did I would have moved on Friday morning ASAP.
A horrible stay in a below average hotel

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank HotelStayEveryWeek
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2010

If I spend 130 Euro a night I expect more and have seen better options. I'll start with the good things:
- interestingly designed rooms with glass walled washroom
- acceptably clean
- quaint, upscale neighbourghood
- nice restaurant across the street
The bad:
- Very very noisy - beware of this hotel if you need your sleep! garbage trucks picking up garbage at 12:00 midnight; you can hear every conversation happening on the street (even with windows shut & curtains drawn). goes on well into the morning hours!
- Breakfast - doesn't start until 7:30am - too late if you have a business meeting to get to
- Dinner - non-existent when I visited the dining area at 8:30pm upon arrival
- Service - limited
This is just my opinion, but maybe someone will find it helpful.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank ARO_EY