“Decent enough”

Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Barrio de Salamanca
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Not sure I'd give it a michelin star though. Pretty expensive too for fairly standard Japanese food. A couple of dishes stood out on the tasting menu we chose. Expensive for what it is. Nice decor and Ambience

Reviewed March 30, 2012

Love the food, creativity with a
spanish touch. Full of beautiful people.

Reviewed September 18, 2011

Everything goes smoothly inside the restaurant.
Service is calm and helpful.
The ambiance is great.
This is a high quality japanese cuisine, for those that really enjoy good cuisine.
It is not easy to find a table.

Reviewed June 30, 2011

Kabuki Wellington's food matches its ambiance: a competently executed Japanese restaurant that pushes no envelopes. We had the "classic" tasting menu, which makes its way through all of the standard Japanese dishes: yakitori, sunomono, sushi, sashimi... all the regular fare done well, but with no real "wow." While there were no poor courses, the only item on the menu that I really remember a day later was one of the dessert chocolates, which seems to have been infused with very subtle Pop Rocks that burst on the tongue. When your Japanese cuisine is bested by one half of one half of the dessert course, it's not a good sign.

The service was also memorable, but not in a good way. The waitress rushed us through the classic tasting menu, several times presenting us with new courses and whisking away plates that we'd finished seconds earlier. (In one case, a plate was taken away still laden with food that my wife wanted to try!) I had initially assumed that there was a table coming in immediately after ours, but the thirty-minute wait for the check disabused me of the notion. We finally concluded that the fault lay with the menu itself, in that certain dishes had to come out at certain times due to cooking constraints. Sadly, we're more marathon eaters than sprinters.

Perhaps it was a mistake to order the classic tasting menu; perhaps the other items live up to the restaurant's more exciting reputation. The best that can be said is that the tasting menu provides a lot of competently executed food. But given the difficulties with service and the high price point, I can't recommend Kabuki based on our experience.

1  Thank MerryDevil
Reviewed March 7, 2011

We went to this restaurant on a very quick weekend trip to Madrid and both my wife and I thought it very good. We've been to Japan and my wife eats at top class restaurants regularly on business, so we're not easily pleased. Those who've given it poor reviews in the past are entirely missing the point of this place. It's not meant to be a straight sushi/sashimi restaurant. Why on earth would they serve churros with chocolate if they were? (My wife didn't like that course though!) If you read the person who says the seafood wasn't fresh when he or she visited need not worry. The lobster was still moving when it was being prepared in front of us. Any restaurant in Madrid that served fish that wasn't fresh wouldn't last very long. The only adverse comment I'd agree with is that you cannot see what the chefs are up to if you're sitting at the sushi bar.

Otherwise we found the food an interesting European take on Japanese food and we had an excellent and flavoursome meal. The wine list is very good too.