“Señorina stayed at SEÑORA!”

Hostal Nuestra Senora de la Paloma
Ranked #62 of 414 Specialty Lodging in Madrid
Reviewed January 9, 2013

One of the things that many travellers consider when finding a place to stay-- is the location. I didn't expect that Nuestra Señora is at the center of Madrid and it's just a walking distance to famous landmarks like Gran Via, Plaza Mayor, Royal Palace and Puerta del Sol and more! Not to mention that it has 2 METRO stations near by. Such a convenient location. Other than that, fast food, good Spanish restos and shopping places are scattered around the area. What else could you ask for??? It's a perfect location hostel!

Although reviewing a hostel is not just based on location---it's considerably important but there are other things to weigh in. I would say when it comes to the price it's very reasonable for me because I just had a single room. Anything less than 50 euros with a private toilet is considerably fair. My room is pretty decent. Not so bad and not so nice, pretty average yet small. I wouldn't judge this hostel based on the room that they gave me because it's not outstanding but I checked out some rooms and they are pretty neat and nice and big. Plus with balcony and great view--but the thing is, it's not a single room. I'm such an OC when it comes to cleanliness so I would say this hotel is average based on my room.

Still recommendable in spite of few cons, it's in deed a value for money hostel :)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank petite_joan

Reviewed October 5, 2012

I was planning to come from Australia to madrid. I looked on websites and found this place, it looked clean and presentable.... LIES LIES LIES.... IT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE IN THE PICTURES.. As soon as I got there I was shocked to see that there was no lift for a hotel on the fifth floor. I would like to also point out that the hotel is on the fifth floor.... The "fifth floor" is part of flats that are residential if you get what I mean. We trudged our luggage up the stairs to a unmarked reception. When we got there we went through the payments ect. (You have to pay before ) we were then taken to our room.... And this is where the chaos started. The room was tiny...... By tiny I mean non liveable. A bed - stuck in the middle of the room with little space around the edges. And the bathroom.... Well, thank god im not a "large" person or else we would be stuffed. The WIFI signal was on one bar............. The bathroom hook was soooooo high up it was almost touching the roof.... What is the point of having a towel holder if no one can reach it. It was dusty and dirty.... The bath room didn't have a door but more of a screen.... That didn't close properly. The window didn't shut and we had to spend the night freezing cold. There is no where to hang clothes, just a box with hangers in it. Stupid. Absolutely stupid. The toilet smelled like ... Urghhhhhh.... And they gave us one pillow for two people.... Yes they were that stupid. When we asked for another pillow we were told that there were none. The bed was uncomfortable.... The A/C needed cleaning and gave off a foul smell..... This is a dodgy, rundown hotel that I will never recommend to any one.... There were also bed bugs. For 60 euros this is a waste of money... DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Asha W
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Pros: Clean, in the city heart, very helpful owners, quite.
Cons: No fridge inside the room, no elevator-it is in the 5th floor BUT if you ask for help someone from the staff will immediately come to assist you.

Overall, very nice hostel. Rooms are a bit small but still a reasonable size. The owners are the biggest advantage. Very helpful and warm, always smiling and ready to assist you.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Doudouna_Antonella
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We were warmly welcomed by the manager and directed to our room. Although a bit small, it is still a reasonable size and enough for the 3 nights we stayed.
The staff is very friendly and even helped us with our luggage at 5am when we had to take a taxi to the airport!
The location could not be any better: close to Sol and therefore to the main amenities such as shops, bars and restaurant.
I would definitely recommend this hostal and would myself go back next time I go to Madrid.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AnonLondon4
Reviewed April 18, 2012

What's great here is first the location, only a couple of minutes' walk from the Plaza Mayor, and within easy walking distance of the lively food and drink night scene. The hotel is in a lovely old building with marble entrance and mosaic murals. I was on an away break by myself, but my room was just about the right size, clean and comfortable, with a tiny balcony from which I could see the winding streets below. It's good to know a bit of Spanish as none of the staff spoke English. However, they were straightforward and honest and friendly to deal with. I was sharing the bathroom with other guests but had no problem with access - and the shower was great (often a weak point in cheaper hotel accommodation)! A final tip - you might want to take earplugs as Madrid is quite noisy until quite late...

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Very good hostel for great price. Right in the centre of Madrid, clean, quiet with good access to internet. The staff people are really helpful. I will really remember them as very nice and opened people although they did not speak English and I did not speak Spanish , I really recommend it, The only problem is 3rd floor without lift, but if you coming to Madrid to see something you need to walk quite a lot, so 3rd floor is not a problem either.

Enjoy the stay there either !

Dorota

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 12, 2011

As expected. Clean and pretty quiet. Small room of course but in the heart of Madrid! And at a great price

Room Tip: All rooms are the same