“Comfortable Well Located Option in Madrid”
Review of Hostal Besaya

Hostal Besaya
Ranked #36 of 282 Madrid B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 20, 2012

My husband and I spent one night here in December 2011. Hostal Besaya has a great location and makes it easy to walk to various sights, or hop on the metro. The hostel staff were very nice and accommodating. We arrived before check in, but were allowed immediate access to our room. We spent 2 weeks in Spain and I think that Hostal Besaya provided us with the best and most reliable wifi access. The room was clean and comfortable, we had a private bath and a private small balcony. We could hear the street noise from our room, but Madrid is a big city and this should be expected.

Overall, no complaints, and we would recommend Hostal Besaya to people wanting a cheap but comfortable and clean place to stay in Madrid.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MHG77

Reviewed January 5, 2012

I stayed in this hostal in december 2011. I stayed in a privat room with private bath. The room wasn't very big, but surely big enough to spend the night and spread out clothing. The room was clean and neatly furbished. The bathroom was complete with toilet, basin and shower. All functioning properly. The staff is helpfull and speak quite some English. Checkout it at 12, and you can leave your luggage at the hotel for safekeeping.

A perfect place for a weekend away, alone, or as a couple cuz the double private rooms are just as good.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank RobbertBakker
Reviewed October 13, 2011

This was my first time staying in a hostal and I was pleased that I picked the Hostal Besaya. The hostal is located on the 8th floor of a very elegant looking building right on the Gran Via and Calle de San Bernardo with a metro station on the opposite corner which makes getting around Madrid very easy.

There is a very small lobby on the 8th floor which handles the check in and while the lobby door is locked a press of the bell always brought someone to open the door very quickly no matter what time of day or night.

My room 801 was a very small but very clean and neat single room with a little balcony with a great view of the Gran Via. The room had a single bed, bedside table, wardrobe and a desk and chair, free fast wifi and an LCD TV completed the room. The bathroom was equally as small but again clean and tidy but the toilet in it was a very strange, to me at least with some kind of mechanical box behind it which made a noise every time it was flushed but did the job.
While the room was small there was a large communal living room on the corner of the building with a TV some sofas and again great views of the Gran Via which came in handy for watching the Madrid Pride on the Saturday night.

The staff were very nice and helpful but not all of them spoke a lot of English but I had no problems during my stay.

I had a great stay here and would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank minicooperdownunder
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Good location right off of Gran Via and close to Plaza Sol and Plaza Mayor. Good value for the price. I travel on a tight budget. Staff speaks little English so don't expect much in the way of tourist advice.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 24, 2011

First things first: Keep in mind that this is a hostal and not a five-star-hotel. If you want a big breakfast, conference rooms and a pool, this is not for you. If you want a comfortable room in a very central location to relax from your excursions through lively Madrid, it is 100% perfect.

LOCATION
Could it be any more central? I don’t think so! You are right on Gran Vía, with a 10 minutes’ walk to Puerta del Sol and all kinds of shops and amenities near by. I actually felt like I fell out of my cozy room right into the middle of things – in a good way! Madrid is a very compact city, but it’s still nice to be in the center’s center ;-)

THE WAY FROM THE AIRPORT
No need for a taxi, just take the metro for Euro 2,50 and you’ll be there in about 30 minutes. Personally, I would take the option that makes you change just once and get out at Plaza España (the hotel website offers three possible connections). The Santo Domingo stop may be right in front of the hotel and Plaza España a short walk up Gran Vía, but I found the latter more comfortable because for Santo Domingo, you have to change lines twice – more complicated and takes a little longer.

THE HOSTAL
You will find it on the 8th floor of a nice old building. There are two elevators, one to be used for your luggage (it’s fairly small) and one used by hotel guests and people living in the appartments on the other seven floors. The hostal has a reception area (you pay when checking in) and a big and airy common room with a TV. Everything is set in white and dark grey, so it looks more like a design hotel than a hostal. I also happened to see the bathroom for the rooms without a bath; it looked new and shiny, all black and white. The staff was very nice and welcoming - I liked the fact that there was always somebody at the reception desk when I returned at night, made me feel extra safe.

THE ROOM
I had a single room (nr. 16) and was positively surprised by its layout (about 9m²) and cleanliness. It had one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in! The bathroom is small (about 2m²) but totally adequate, the water pressure and temperature in the shower was very good all day. There was a small table and chair, a build-in wardrobe, AC, a TV and free (and fast!) W-LAN (get the code at the reception). My room did not have a view, which I did not mind, because it meant there was no noise from Gran Vía to be heard. As is the case with many Spanish flats and their rather thin walls, you might hear some noise from other rooms though, so if you are a light sleeper, make sure to bring some ear plugs.

OVERALL VERDICT
I am sure I will stay at Hostal Besaya again, because it offers excellent budget accomodation. Madrid is an amazing place for going out and shopping, so I prefer to spend more on retail therapy than on accomodation :-) Hostal Besaya offers great value for money - see you again in 2012!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank AustrianTraveller73
Reviewed August 20, 2011

A simple and clean hostal - a perfect place if you are after somewhere to sleep and are more keen about hitting the pavement and walking around the beautiful city of Madrid. In a great location, we were very happy with this hostal for the price. Our room was clean, quite small but still had a private bathroom and air-conditioning. Based on a previous review, I did remember to bring ear plugs, it did get slightly noisy on the Saturday evening. We did not have the breakfast at the Hostal but chose to go to one of the many little cafes along the street the Hostal is on - try the more traditional looking places - great churros and cortados! Enjoy this beautiful city!

Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank champagneplease
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Stayed here two nights at the end of June. It was piping hot 44'C in Madrid those days but the AC managed to get our room properly cold. It's a small room, with a small bathroom. Remember it's a hostel and it's a great space. We had a small French Balcony which opened onto a side street right off the Gran Via which was really nice. We could easily walk to the Palace and many squares. The Besaya is also nicely located right between two of the hop on hop off tour bus stops. Most of the staff spoke enough English for us to get our point across. Right across the street is a great Jambon cafe for breakfast or late night snacks. They didn't have any parking but we managed to find a lot closeby and they had free wireless internet which was a treat. The elevator is tiny and it's a long walk up the stairs to the 8th floor but that's half the charm of staying in the old city of European centres.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple