“Good Hostel in Really Convenient Location”
Review of Las Musas Hostel

Las Musas Hostel
Ranked #26 of 418 Specialty Lodging in Madrid
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Las Musas Residence is conveniently located just a minute or two walk from the Tirso de Molina stop on the light blue Metro line; only 3 stops from the Atocha RENFE station. It is within walking distance of Plaza Mayor, Plaza del Sol and even the Prado.
The hostel itself is average with a cordial and helpful staff. WIFI is not available in the rooms, only in the lobby/dining room and the "living room" in the basement. There is also a computer room in the basement. I stayed in an 8 bed (4 rickety bunk beds) female only dorm which conveniently had a bathroom with shower in the room. I stayed for 4 nights and noticed that the cleaning services were less than thorough most days; I was in the room on two occasions that the cleaners came and they were in and out without sweeping or washing floors or washing the bathroom. This is a large hostel, with many rooms (3 floors worth) and many guests and it has the feeling of a large hostel/ almost a cheap hotel, its not cozy or homey.
The kitchen is the best feature (besides the location): there are three sinks, multiple refrigerators & ovens and lots of stove top burners. I was impressed by the many pots, pans, knives, cutting boards...its a well supplied kitchen.
Choose this hostel for the location and kitchen, not the quality. It's just steps from Plaza de Tirso de Molina which offers a Lidl supermarket, a great bakery, flower stands and the metro. The surrounding streets are rife fruit stands and other small markets. It's a central location that is convenient for sightseeing.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights and had an excellent time. Staff was very cool, happy to chat and help. Breakfast apparently isn't so good, but I liked the coffee churros and musli. Facilities like kirchen laundry and internet were all top notch. Elevador did not always work, a problem with 5 levels. The organized tours and pub crawls can be pricey, even if they are advertised as free, so be prepared to shell out an extra 10 euros on any given trip. But overall perfect atmosphere for meeting others, and good location too.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Please bear in mind this is the first time I have stayed in a hostel. I had a great time meeting people from all over the world in this hostel. The wi-fi doesn't work in the rooms, which can be a plus as it means the lobby is more frequented and there are greater possibilities of interaction. The price is fair (from what I've researched on other hostels in the area). Sleep is peaceful; I did not notice car noise at night, and at midnight everyone in the lobby has to go to a room in the basement with closed doors, so noise from other travelers is not a problem either.
The complaints I have are minor: 1- The bed was small for me, as I am 1,90 meter tall (6 feet 2 inches). The end of the bed is not fully open, it has a protection "fence" which did not give my feet full freedom, so I had to squat a bit. It wasn't as bad as it sounds though, I had great sleep the 2 nights I stayed there. 2- The hostel charges for stuff that should be free, such as the padlock for the locker in the rooms (3 euro), which fortunately I didn't need. I imagine that you can keep it, though; 3- There is only churros, milk, chocolate powder and coffee for breakfast, and the microwave in the (large and nicely equipped) kitchen was out of order; 4- Not enough wall sockets in the lobby and rooms for everyone, which could be a problem if everyone wants to charge their notebooks or mobiles at the same time.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 103 (4-bed suite) and had no problems with noise or anything major.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We got there and it was nice in the lobby but our room smelled of paint and mold. We aired it out but it never went away. The elevator broke twice in the same day and it's a five story building.
It's in the center of city but we have found better for less. Plus a lot of the activities put on by the tour groups are more if you stay at this hostel.
PS breakfast is churros and coffee.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank arlas
Reviewed December 4, 2012

great place to stay, people really friendly and helpful, location is great literally a few minutes walk away from a metro station, plenty of places to eat and very easy to get to el rasta on a sunday, rooms very clean and modern i think its just had a refurb one of the best hostel i have stayed in and would definitely stay there again,

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank dave_scouse
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Free Walking Trip organized by the Hostel was pretty cool. The Trip to Toledo was from my point of view not worth it and the PubCrawl was okay but also I think you could go to the pubs on your own and will find also good pubs plus you save the extra fee for the guide.
For Breakfast there was Toast two kind of marmelade, honey, Cornflakes and Müsli. The coffee was horrible.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank j123456789d
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I have been in Madrid several times in past years in different hostels. But since I stayed for the first time at Las Musas (before the renovation), I don't look for any other hostel. I stayed in the hostel on my own, with my boyfriend and also with a large group of friends and we were always satisfied with what we got for the price we paid.
I like the location (app. 5 minutes from Sol, metro station and supermarket less than a minute from hostel), friendly and helpful staff, the most amazing kitchen I ever saw in any hostel (big, well equipped), common room in the basement for socializing, computer room with free internet access. Breakfast is basic, but good, the same applies to dormitory rooms.
The only upgrade there should be is that they could keep bathrooms more clean during the day and replace the matresses.
Will definitelly go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends