“Misleading reviews”

Hotel City House Florida Norte By Faranda
Ranked #403 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Have just returned from a 5 night stay in this hotel. Unfortunately I had booked it before I read any reviews and was dreading staying there. However, when we arrived we thought we must be in the wrong hotel! The reception area is large and brightly lit, spotlessly clean. Admittedly the decor in the bedrooms and hallways is a bit old fashioned but as we were only in our room to sleep this did not bother us. The room was cleaned every day and fresh towels supplied every day. The breakfast offered a selection of juices, cereal, hot (bacon, sausage, egg) and cold (ham, cheese), different types of rolls and bread, pastries, fruit and yogurt. Now if anyone eats any more than that at home and were not happy with that I dont know what to think. We had no problem with this hotel, even with the language barrier. The staff were very helpful even tho we didnt speak Spanish and they didnt speak English but we managed to get by just by trial and error! I would definitely stay here again as it is very close to all the amenities, metro station just across the street, lots of buses passing by the door. So dont be put off by all those negative reviews, this is an ok hotel!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank foxfordcat

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I love this hotel. Its location is amazing! Directly across the street from Principe Pio Metro station and mall. A Short (UPHILL) walk to the royal palace. I had a gorgeous view of the back of the royal palace from my window! There are only 2 downfalls to this hotel! First, the WIFI is VERY low signal and really only strong in the hallways. The second downfall is that the walls are very thing (ALTHOUGH NORMAL IN EUROPE...NOT WHAT AMERICAN'S ARE USED TO!) Overall, the location, cleanliness, wonderful staff make it a hotel I would CHOOSE to use again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jill R
Reviewed April 13, 2013

The Hotel Celuisma Florida Norte is conveniently located near public transportation and directly across from Príncipe Pío shopping mall. It is also very close to the Royal Palace, which can be seen from the street. The breakfast buffet is very good and has a variety of options to choose from. The rooms are clean, and the service is ok, although the whole property looks a little outdated.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Room was beautifully clean and kept so by the housekeepers (10 out of 10)
Close to shopping centre for wifi and coffee.
That (apart from two reasonably helpful desk clerks and the welcoming smile of the breakfast check girl) is it.
IGNORE the 4 stars - think tired Youth Hostel. Bare in mind I was in the room for over a week, and on business, seemingly minor problems made my stay unproductive and miserable. The beds were slatted hard and uncomfortable, there was no kettle in room, no iron, no radio and no effective wifi (advertised) to compensate, only Spanish TV (English and German advertised and sport channel too fuzzy to watch), couldn't care less attitude, inedible cooked breakfast, undrinkable drinks (fruit juice was either very watered down or was squash and fruit was out of a tin ... in Spain!!!), expensive 'business suite' computers, pay per night room safe (essential), angry staff at breakfast and in the bar, paper thin walls, rowdy school groups.
When I asked about the fitness suit I was told it was fully booked, so I didn't even get through the doors.
Had my work not already paid I'd have been out of the hotel like a shot.
If you can get a room for 40 Euros, speak Spanish and have no schedule to keep then it might be OK for one or two nights.
I would love to be more positive and empathise with those in the hotel who were polite and did their jobs well, but I feel I have share my experience which I believe was quite typical.

Room Tip: Ask to inspect the room as you may get better than I or my colleagues managed; otherwise use another...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank CastleJack
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was very disappointed at the standard of this supposedly '4 star' hotel. The reception staff were not at all friendly or helpful. I left my room key in at reception one evening and was asked what my problem was! When I hurt my knee and required ice, there was no ice-pack available. Neither was an iron available in the hotel to iron clothes.
The worst experience of my stay was an inability to get a decent sleep. As this hotel is located opposite Principe Pio, there was much banging at night due to on-going road works. On my last night, I phoned reception at 2am to complain, and the reply was that the company working throughout the night had a permit to do so, and this was outside the control of the hotel-invest in better windows please!
I would advise anyone to stay in a hotel with better facilities, and certainly more helpful and friendly staff!!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing Principe Pio station
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank MaryPh
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed here several times and it is a great hotel. Florida Norte is steps away from the Royal Palace gardens, and in the summer its a cool retreat from the city sidewalks. Prinpcipe Pio station is across the street and offers shopping, coffee, beers and subway connections. Two blocks down the street is Casa Mingo (excellent rotisserie chicken.) We don't stay here much anymore as we are always trying new places, but I do recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank jannisxixon
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This hotel was not bad overall. It was booked by EF Tours, so I really didn't have a choice in the matter!

The room was small, but clean. I had to ask for a blanket as the maids took mine during their cleaning and did not return it. The bathroom was clean as well. Overall, the facilities were modem, but sparse.

The service was "ok" as they seemed annoyed by my attempts to engage them in Spanish.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends