“VERY GOOD, NICE AND CHEAP”
Review of Il Pizzaiolo

Il Pizzaiolo
Ranked #248 of 12,023 Restaurants in Madrid
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chueca
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This small italian restaurant in the Chueca District, has excelent service, is cheap menu of the day (menu del dia) costs 12€, and includes, first, main, a drink (wine), dessert and coffee. The pasta is home made. Pizza's are always fresh. Be prepared to wait at lunch, as the restaurante is small and very popular. Service, specially from Salvatore is exceptional.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Easily the best pizza I had in Madrid. Nice, lively decoration. Staff is friendly and professional. Good service and great atmosphere. Make a reservation or go early. I went there twice during a short 4-day stay and I will return one day if I go to Madrid.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

On the basis of the recommendations on Trip Advisor decided to seek out this restaurant. Got there about 1.45pm not long after they had opened for lunch. Even although the restaurant is small to the extent of being poky and not really suitable for pushchairs they were able to squeeze us in leaving our pushchair next to the table. Alternatively, if it can fold they can look after it for you. Within 45 mins. the place had filled up with both locals and tourists.

Restaurant has a good selection of pizzas and pastas with specials chalked up on a blackboard.

We ordered a mixed bruschetta appetiser, followed by a Calzone pizza, which was excellent and my wife ordered one of the specials listed on the board which was salmon gnocchi which was equally as good as the pizza. Kids ate a nice olive oil focaccia bread.

The staff are are all quite young, Italian (or at least they all speak Italian among themselves) and hip (think tattoos and earrings) and our waiter was friendly and accommodating.

Two days later decided to go back again for lunch but this time the ham and mushroom pizza my wife had was not as good and the lasagne that I ordered was good although not great. Neither was the tiramisu I had for desert - I can't put my finger on it but something was missing. Service second time around although still efficient was not as friendly although this was down to our assigned waitress who seemed rather harassed throughout our visit. Overall good value for money.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Whether their success on here has gotten to their heads I don't know, but I went last night and the pizza was really disappointing. 12 euros and hardly any toppings, really poor value and absolutely nothing special. Looked nothing like those in the pictures above. I've honestly had better pizza in Madrid for literally 5 euros, there are places. They also sell fresh pasta, which is good and looked nice, but for a pizzeria, their star product really lacked something.
The service was fine, nothing special but not slow. I had a glass of red, which was tiny, like a shot of wine, which is very unusual for Spain- you normally get half a pint of wine in a glass! At least they didn't overcharge for it!
I hate to say it but it was really unremarkable, can't understand all the reviews unless it has recently changed management or chef! And yes, I definitely went to the right place!

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Delicious, friendly local type of restaurant. We split a salad, app and a pizza between 2 of us and it was more than enough food. The wait staff was super friendly. A great place worth finding!

2  Thank DCTerry