“VERY BIG BUFFET in Madrid for 8.95 € + drinks”
Review of Topolino

Topolino
Ranked #3,477 of 11,808 Restaurants in Madrid
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centro
Description: Restaurante de tres plantas en pleno centro de Madrid. Desde hace ya 29 anos venimos ofreciendo los platos tipicos de la cocina italiana un BUFFET LIBRE en cada comedor, diferente cada dia. Podras degustar pastas, ensaladas, pizzas y calzonnes. Ademas de carnes, arroces, alitas de pollo, sabrosas ensaladas, hamburguesas y una variedad interesante de postres. otras especialidades de la casa elaboradas con toques de antano mezclados con las influencias de la cocina actual.
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Although the name sounds Italian, this VERY BIG BUFFET offers not only pasta and pizzas, but also several international dishes such as Spanish paella, rosbeef, etc., all for a very reasonable price.

A large section contains several salads to begin with, before you change your starter dish (but NOT your fork and knife, which will have to follow you all the way through the dessert) and attack the hot section.

Then, you may change your dish again and take several fruits and several desserts, most of which are very good.

Drinks are extra, but you can have either soft drinks (for aficionados who have a good meal with a Coke...), draft beer or wine. With a small glass (which I judged very big!) of draft beer, I paid 11.25 € in total, which converted to $14.60 US a/o May 10, 2013.

After I finished my lunch inside (a habit that I acquired in the 1960s during my first trip to Africa, after eating several days outside with all sorts of flying things around me...) I went out to a nice covered terrace on Calle Preciados in order to have an excellent espresso (2 € extra) and smoke a good cigar.

Naturally, you could never do this in Los Angeles or San Francisco, where smokers must be 15 or 20 feet from all buildings, and where Starbucks won't let you smoke in a wide open terrace with no roof and no walls!

But Europe is not so "advanced" as California, and they have not yet gone so far in the art of poisoning people's lives...

Reviewed April 16, 2013

For just 10 euros you get, in the basement floor, a buffet lunch (and you can return to take more), with a great selection. The location is right in the center of some of Madrid's attractions (not far from Plaza Mayor)- a walking distance, The combination of wide selection and the price- make the difference!

1  Thank Danny S
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is a great find in Madrid for an open buffet. Quality of food is very high, fresh and nice choices of healthy Spanish, Italian and Mediterranean food. And the best price! Only 8.95 Euros! I stuffed myself with a nice salad, great chicken soup, followed by tasty paella and pizza. And tasty creme caramel. I amgoingback during my next 8 days in Madrid. Also service was great.

2  Thank Goldiaba
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We had dinner here on the outdoor patio on a busy Saturday evening because we had a hankering for Italian food. Although the service was friendly, the food was terrible. The worst I have ever had in Madrid and shameful to be called "Italian": rubbery calamari romana, bland spaghetti and the absolute worst veal parmigiana ever - thin, overcooked and covered in cheese that was definitely not parmesan. I would compare it to the tase and consistency of the
cardboard on a pizza box. Even the wine was bad.
I suppose that the buffet inside plus the tables full of families with children and young guys should have tipped us off as to what to expect in terms of quality.
There are thousands of restuarants in Madrid that offer wonderful food at fantastic prices. I recommend De Maria in the same neighbohood (Gran Via).

alexkazemzadeh, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Topolino, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Customer,
We regret that your visit to our establishment has not met your expectations, in Topolino we strive each day to improve our offer both quality and variety. If you visit our photo gallery on our Facebook account you can see our extensive range of rice, meat, pasta, pizza, chicken, vegetables, salads, fish, and more.
We understand that each person has their own tastes and opinions, however most customer reviews are positive and confident that the views do not come against unfair competition and malicious since severely punishes TripAdvisor users of this Finally profile. We invite you to visit our website and our social networking accounts especially Facebook, where you will find pictures and video of our product and services. Thank you.

Regards,
Topolino Restaurant
www.topolino.es

Reviewed September 20, 2012

In late April, 2012 my wife and I had a great dinner at the Topolino Buffet Libre at Plaza de Santo Domingo in Madrid, an all you can eat buffet when we were staying at the nearby Hotel Tryp Ambassador. I can't remember how much we paid but it was around US$15, quite reasonable given the variety and quality of the food. What was memorable was the paella and the flan. There are many different dishes that you can try.

3  Thank honorablejohn