“Fantastic meal”
Review of Gastromaquia

Gastromaquia
Reserve with
Save up to 40% when you reserve online *
Gastromaquia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #99 of 11,282 Restaurants in Madrid
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chueca
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Creative but simple tapas. One of the best meals weve had in a long time. New twists on traditional dishes. Exceptional owner explained menu in english for both the carnivore and the vegetarian

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Our last night in Madrid and came here after reading the reviews on trip advisor and chowhound. Difficult to locate (we walked) and when we did find it were not sure if we had arrived at the right place (small, few tables etc..). Luckily we decided to stay. We immediately hit it off with the owner (I'm a little bit of a foodie) and when we mentioned we have a house in Miami Beach and that one of our favorite restaurants there is Pub Belly, turns out the owner of Pub Belly is one of his best friends....well the night was made. The food is exceptional, tapas portions easily shared between two people. Unique though is the Chefs modern interpretation of classical Castillian and Catalonian dishes. The guacamole/bananas..wonderful way to start the dinner, the croqueta boletus (light and creamy, beautifully fried), the pulpo plancha (nicely prepared and very delicate) and finally the pincho de secreto...just wish we could have had more. To top it off the people at the table next to us had the mejillones and thet were so enthusiastic that we had to try them (despite my dislike for mussels). Phenomenal, couldn't leave a drop of the sauce behind. We ate too much but despite the abundance of food the bill wea very reasonable,90 euro. Can't say enough of the owner, knowledgeable, enthusiastic, friendly, someone I'd like to meet again, hopefully soon at the Taberna.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Based on TA reviews, we Tried to get a reservation by phone, couldn't get through so we left a message and hoped for the best. We waited in the somewhat sketchy neighborhood for it to open. Doors didn't open till 8:30, and we found that they did not have us written down, but even though they were booked full, since it was Valentine's Day, they allowed us in. Thank goodness. The owner broke down the entire menu for us in English and stopped us when he thought we were ordering too much. My husband liked the guacamole and plantains the best and i thought the octopus was amazing. The staff and owner were attentive and the dishes came out in perfect time, one after the other. The owner told us his philosophy that he cares more about producing good food that a smaller number of people would enjoy rather than okay food for a larger mass of people. it may me harder to make more money that way, but he is passionate about the food. In the end, the bill was very reasonable and they do except credit cards. Gastromaquia made our night, thank you.

Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Taking advice of all you trip advisor reviewers was the right thing to do. I had an amazing meal here and would go back again in a heartbeat if I could. As I was dining alone it's a shame that I couldn't try out a lot of the menu due to portion sizes and cost but the waiter was absolutely fantastic helping me to translate the entire menu for me. Service like this is a rare breed and is to be applauded. I opted for the banana chips and guacamole. Hands down the best guacamole I've ever had. Stunning. Then I had some spicy potato dish which whilst certainly tasty left me regretting choosing this over other dishes on the menu. Then I had the lamb skewer. I've eaten a lot of meat in my time but oh my, it tasted so good and the meat was just melting in my mouth. I couldn't say no to desert and wasn't let down by what I can only describe as a plain chocolate soup dotted with crunchy breadcrumbs, olive oil and a tiny amount of salt. Again, tasted fantastic, every ingredient earning its place in the dish. I just wish I could go back again and try the restaurant highlights. Destined to stay in the top 5 if they carry on producing food like this. Oh and get there early. By 9pm it was full.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

We had octopus with potato foam that had so much flavor, continued with home made guacamole and bananas, rib meat was falling off from the bones. Finished it all with a bottle of Toledo wine and a mojito sorbet with rum. My husband paid like 58€ total, all in all it was a great food experience, totally recommended.

1  Thank RusaBlanca