“Terrible service and okay food.”
Review of Chic - CLOSED

Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centro
Reviewed June 7, 2010

I really don't get the great reviews for this restaurant. It was practically empty when we got there (only 2 other seated tables), which should have been a sign, although it was on the late side (10:30pm) and we were tired from our flight. Despite there being ~5 people we could see working there, it seemed like 1 woman was running the show and she didn't really care to take your order or check in with you from time to time. We ordered the mushroom croquette app, the seafood paella, and the pork tenderloin entree. The croquettes were okay... the mercado has better and cheaper ones. The entrees were really skimpy and if a small Asian woman isn't full after that, then not sure how any other person would be. Here's where things took a turn for the worse (although things were not great before this either). In addition to the very small portions, my seafood paella had 2 mussels, 2 small prawns, and a couple very small pieces of fish in it. Of the 2 mussels, 1 had not opened up and hence, couldn't be eaten. I asked the waitress if she could bring me another mussel. If it didn't feel like the whole dish was rice, maybe I wouldn't have cared, but given the meager seafood, I felt entitled to 2 edible mussels. She threw a big fit about it, which got me going, so I didn't back down and she finally relented. She was clearly unhappy, but 10 min later brought me a plate of 6 mussels (even though I only asked for 1), which I assume she thought was a spit in my face. Like she was trying to show me that they weren't cheap about the seafood. After that, she had the busboy deal with us. In terms of taste, it was below average as well. Stay away.

Reviewed June 7, 2010

We ate at "Chic" last week, at dinner. Food was absolutely delicious (prawns with garlic and those mushroom croquettes were divine) and I paid 12-14 euro/dish with a smile on my face, thinking they were worth. Unfortunately there's a negative side: it took 35 minutes to serve a lemon sorbet at the end of the dinner and 25 (!) to receive 13 euro of rest, after I paid the bill!

Reviewed June 5, 2010

After reading the TripAdvisor reviews, I was anticipating a decent meal.

We ordered two appetizers and two main courses:
- mixed grilled vegetables with truffle oil and smoked cheese
- crispy apples with black rice pudding
- risotto with porcini mushrooms
- grilled steak with fries and grilled peppers

Almost everything arrived lukewarm, not hot. For the most part, I felt that all are dishes were thought up well, but not executed so well. I personally would not go back here again.

The grilled vegetables felt like they were pre-grilled and then warmed slightly in the microwave. There was no trace of truffle-anything in the dish. The smoked cheese was like 1 slice of smoked gouda cut into very very small pieces and scattered around.

The crispy apples with black rice pudding tasted odd. The apples were cooked a bit too much... the flavours did not really go.

The risotto was probably the best of the four dishes... but the rice could have used a bit more time to open up.

The steak was too rare when served (ordered medium rare... got closer to blue-rare) and was tepid.

Their wine selection was a good mix of prices - we had a lower priced wine they recommended that was very nice.

To be fair, their prices aren't very high so maybe you get what you pay for. Just keep in mind that it is not quite what the glowing reviews on TripAdvisor suggest.

Reviewed February 22, 2010

The restaurant is opposite the Room Mate Mario in the Old Quarter of Madrid. It serves modern Spanish food in an imaginative way. Clientele is largely Spanish. Food prices are very reasonabble.

Reviewed February 5, 2010

We were passing by at lunch time and it was crowded. Looked at the menu and decided to try it for dinner.
We have shared a few starters (my wife and our friends): goat cheese salad, a curious veal carpaccio with a small pizza and some ham (of course!). Then I've had a big and juicy beef sirloin, my wife ate cod fish, and our friends had paella. My wife had an hot chocolate fondant and our friends ate tiramisu cream. Nothing for me as the beef was too big.
We drunk a couple of bottles of a very nice Rioja.
Everything delicious
The staff was really nice as well as the atmosphere. Beautifull people and calm music
There were a lot of photos on the wall with famous people.
34€ (each)