“Good food in a relaxed atmosphere”
Review of Chic - CLOSED

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Centro
London, United Kingdom
“Good food in a relaxed atmosphere”
Reviewed April 17, 2011

This restaurant was literally a few doors down from our hotel and we were drawn in by the amount of locals eating there and the simple menu. Up until that evening we had found eating in Madrid a real struggle; my partner is vegetarian and tapas was a nightmare as most tapas menus are so meaty. Forget the rough 'vegetarian' translation; Madrilenos don't consider ham, bacon and fish as vegetarian and you'll find these in just about everything on a tapas menu. So Chic was respite from the problem menus as it's not a tapas menu. The menu is accurately translated and the staff speak very good English. The food is a mix of traditional Spanish and fusion and whilst there isn't a huge choice there is enough variety on offer. The mushroom risotto was perfect. The starters are big so share them out. The house red washed it down perfectly and the ambience, service and value for money dragged us back 2 nights in a row.

• Visited April 2011

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Fairly dissapointing”
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Was staying in a local hotel with work and stumbled upon this restaurant at around 9.30/10pm. The restaurant was empty other than me and I was "welcomed" by a fairly surly lady who altough wasn't rude certainley wasnt friendly.

I ordered a cerveza which came in a small tall glass and sat down to look at the menu. The restaurant seems to mostly cater for the usual Spanish options with a few subtle differences here and there.

For starters I ordered the Cod salad and for main course I ordered the mixed paella.

It didn't start well, the cod salad was in fact raw slimey cod and small chopped chunks of tomato formed into a circular ball with a tiny serving of a few lettuce leaves on the side.
I couldn't bring myself to each much of it and the surley waitress that sat me at the table when I arrived quizzed me to why I didnt like it.

The paella came out shortly after and it would be described as nothing more than okay. It was a medium sized portion, slightly over done and was sticking quite a lot around the edges. It contained 1 fully shelled shrimp, 4 prawns, 1 lump of chicken and 4 mussels. There wasn't an awful lot of flavour which was dissapointing and I was hoping for a bit more meat but to be fair it filled a hole.

After finishing the meal tried to get the waitresse's attention to get the bill but it wasn't happening so walked up to the till area where I was charged £25.00 for the meal.

Overall would I reccommend - no, however if you are in a rush and have no other options it would suffice.

• Visited January 2011
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“eating out should not be painfull”
Reviewed January 23, 2011

The service in this restaurant was terrible. One must question if the single waiter is also the chef as it took so long for someone to take our order let alone our meal to come. The final slap in face was the coffee which was closer to muddy water than the espresso we had order. Don't do it. Look across the street for a great tasting meal.

Toronto, Canada
“Too bad the food and service couldn't lineup to the decor and menu”
Reviewed September 27, 2010

Our last night in Madrid so we went to a place that was close to our hotel...it looked so promising. Unfortunately the food was very ordinary and some of it was overly salty and the service was very slow. The server was wonderful and if it wasn't for her our whole experience would have been very disappointing...she was very charming and apologetic, not just to our table but to almost all others. The decor and the menu itself were very good...they just need a better chef and more staff. I hope that they can work through the problems because it has the potential to be a good restaurant...especially if you are looking for an alternative to tapas.

Altanta
“Could forgive the service if the food didn't stink”
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Went here on a Sunday in August. Only one waiter for a full restaurant - I could forgive that if the food had been decent. It was our worse meal after 3 weeks in Spain - overcooked and with poor ingredients. A lot of the stuff on the menu was missing - the salad came without the pine nuts that were advertised and only after we asked did he mention they were gone. My duck was cooked past grey, and my son had a steak that was un-chewable.

We went on the advice of a local blog- afterwards we noticed that there were no recent reviews....