In the charming town of Haro, Located in the fabled wine growing region of La Rioja stands Hotel Los Agustinos. Founded in 1373 as a convent, it went on to be a military garrison, hospital, school and prison. They say you can still see inscriptions carved into the stone by its prisoners. The hotel combines very old history with very new upgrades.
Sitting in the majestic courtyard with its grand piano, comfortable couches and english music playing...We discussed having a bite... at 11pm as is the custom in Spain - you eat late. A mixed plate of Iberico ham, olives, manchego cheese, tuna, and various sausages were washed down by 3 bottles: a 1998 Viura from Tondonia (still lovely) and two reds: Campeador 1997 and a 2006 Reserva from Contino. It was heaven.
The rooms are a nice size, very comfortable with a choice of window overlooking the quite streets of the town, or the beautiful courtyard.They offer Wi fi which works well, air con, hairdryer, room service, a buffet breakfast, and a great wine list for dinner.
You are within a half hour in every direction of some of the most excellent wineries in the world.
If you can tolerate the standoffish staff - (the men mostly) it is a great place to stay. It was hard to miss the feeling that we were only being tolerated by the staff.
Even with that, I recommend this hotel - it was stunning and the town of Haro is beautiful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- THE HOTEL LOS AGUSTINOS, former convent and first-listed building, which has a magnificent cloister, covered with a glass dome and numerous air-conditioned rooms available at the hotel, make this beautiful building ideal place for all kinds of events, meetings, conferences, business lunches, etc. with up to 350 guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity and Agoda so you can book your Hotel Los Agustinos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Los Agustinos Hotel Haro
- Occidental Los Agustinos Haro