“Food and service ok, but they will rob you if paying in euros.”
Review of Corner House Cafe

Corner House Cafe
Ranked #164 of 201 Restaurants in Gibraltar
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The food and service was ok, the meals came out quicky. The chicken was good but the battered fish was mediocre with little flavour. The shock came when it was time to pay the bill - a 50% surcharge for paying in euros. And they don't accept credit cards either. Absolute rip off considering the normal euro-gbp exchange rate.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I went here one saturday lunchtime in March for tea / coffee. There were about 6 people in there when I arrived, so not busy. I got served pretty quickly. My friend arrived 5 minutes later but was unable to attract the attention of any staff working there so eventually went to the counter to order a coffee. The woman behind the counter gave her a withering look which she didn't see - but I did. I decided to order another hot drink but again we were ignored. I went to the counter and asked for a tea. The woman acknowledged me and my order. However the tea never came. Remember, there were 6 other people in the cafe. We got up and left. Not one waiter or waitress acknowledged us as we left, nor did they check to see if we had left money on the table. It was like we were invisible. And unwelcome.
This was our worst experience in Gibraltar. The monkeys on the Rock were friendlier.
Avoid.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

The cafe was empty when we arrived so were served promptly. Had fish and chips which looked delicious when it arrived. On getting half way through the fish i found it was not cooked fully through and the fish was raw in the centre. On pointing this out to the waiter he simply shrugged his shoulders and walked away. As the cafe filled up very quickly whilst we were there we were hearing other people complain about the fish not being cooked properly. One couple had there's taken away and put in a microwave and given back to them. Not the kind of service you expect anywhere. Paid my bill in euros and for a £16 bill was charged nearly 23 euros. I do believe they had there own rate for charging in euros. Will give this place a miss when i go back to Gibraltar.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

We stopped by late afternoon just for a cup of coffee. Added a piece of apple pie as an after thought. The pie was wonderful. Deep dish & served warm The coffee was 5 star, We passed it up for lunch earlier in the day because it was "bland" looking. Wish now we had tried the food.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

On a day trip to Gibraltar we got there about 10am with the weather a little wet and a lot windy. A cup of coffee and a slice of toast at 6.30am needed topping up. A short walk from Casement Square along Main Street brought us to the Corner House Cafe. The sign said 'Full English Breakfast'. Forget the calory count, it was the pick me up we needed from the Full English Weather. The only thing missing for me, from the plate, was a couple of slices of black pudding. We both agreed it was as good a breakfast as we have had anywhere in the world (including Scotland). The plate was hot, the food was hot and cooked just right. Excellent.
Don't let the name mind you of a typical English caff. There is a really good menu and the cafe is used by locals and visitors alike, there were families and men in suits. The waitress didn't understand my asking for 'cafe nube', my pronunciación Espania leaves a lot to be desired, so we made do with 'cafe con leche'.
We were then fit for a walk and a cable car ride to see the macaques. We couldn't see Spain or Africa though, Full English Weather!

1  Thank Latent