“Refurbishment Needs to Get a Move On”

Rock Hotel Gibraltar
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Gibraltar
Camberley, England, United Kingdom
“Refurbishment Needs to Get a Move On”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I knew this hotel when I was stationed on the Rock in the late 60s and early 70s. We stayed there on this occasion because of all the hotels in Gib we knew that it offers stunning views across the South Mole and Algeciras Bay. As previous reviewers have observed, this hotel is a once elegant, but very tired old lady, badly in need of a bit of tlc. There is evidence of refurbishment work being done, but it needs to get a move on to stave off the major competition which will come from the Sunborn Yacht Hotel coming on stream this spring at the other end of Gib.
On a definite plus side, the staff are very polite and attentive and there is a clean and well-maintained pool area with poolside bar and all the facilities for some serious idling on the other side of the road from the main hotel.

2 Thank Tarakan1917
CharlesDanino, General Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Tarakan1917,
Thanks you very much for your review. The refurbishment is progressing very swiftly and we are taking every precaution possible so that it does not affect the enjoyment of our guests. I am very pleased that the staff of The Rock Hotel provided you with a polite and attentive service and that you enjoyed the swimming pool area. I look forward to welcoming you back.
Charles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (594)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Just got back from a five nights at the Rock Hotel, Gibratar. A most delightful hotel with colonial charm and character. Service was very good, polite and traditional, with clean rooms and a superb view of the sea and the charming Alameda Gardens. The hotel is undergoing refurbishment with the expected completion date of July 2014.
Nevertheless, all staff were particularly helpful and any queries were promptly dealt with.
The breakfasts were very good and most tastes appeared to be catered for.
A very comfortable and pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Linda F
CharlesDanino, General Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear LindaF,
Many thanks for your lovely review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Rock Hotel. It is especially gratifying to see that our staff are managing to go the extra mile in order to make every visit as positively memorable as possible. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Norfolk UK
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Stayed here recently for a weeks holiday. In light of the refurbishments that were taking place, perhaps management could adjust the price temporarily? I would be happy to return when the whole building has been overhauled, but currently 'faded' is the best term to describe the hotel. Location and views however are really excellent, afternoon visit from the apes was great fun!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank NorfolkSparky
Dear NorfolkSparky,
Many thanks for your feedback following your stay at The Rock Hotel. We have embarked on a very a comprehensive refurbishment project with a very clear objective in mind and that is one of delivering an outstanding product to our guests. Present market demand is very buoyant however we are not swayed by this and we are currently offering very reasonable rates compared to other hotels. I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
England
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at The Rock Hotel. Having booked the hotel back in January, we were informed by the holiday company only a few weeks before we were due to arrive that the hotel was having a refurbishment, and that between the hours of 10am - 6pm there would be disruption during these times. However, these times were a complete lie having been woken up by 6.30am for the first 2 morning with banging and drilling, and when we looked up from the balcony the builders had already started certainly by 8am! They were still there by 7pm. We complained to the reception about this who said that 2 other couples had also complained the same morning and that she would mention it to the Manager (whom we didn't come across for the 3 days we were there)! We also reported a faulty& dangerous plug on the heater in the room (which did get seen to the same day). The room itself as is the entire hotel very dated and in desperate need of refurbishment. There were no lollipops in the room or proper coffee as stated in all the blurb from the hotel and on the website! When we asked for both we were told by the cleaner that there weren't any as was other little things like a price list for the beauty treatments which I was interested in. There was a hair price list only. On a plus side there was plenty of hot water and the views from the hotel spectacular. The breakfast was also good although some of the staff were not that friendly. We did not eat any other meals in the hotel as we felt overall the hotel was lacking in atmosphere and there was nowhere to sit and have a drink as there was no bar (that was also being refurbished)! The pool area was available for drinks & food at certain times of the day crossing the busy road opposite, but the weather wasn't brilliant whilst we were there (apart from the last day) so we didn't fancy sitting outside for long!

With only about 20 guests staying in the hotel and with all the extensive refurbishments going on, it would have been fairer to have closed the hotel whilst the work was going on rather than lead the guests to believe the facilities were normal. When we checked out nobody asked us if we had enjoyed our stay (think the receptionists were as embarrassed as we were by asking the question to be honest). The hotel is 100% living on its reputation from about 50 years ago when my parents & Grandparents stayed at the Rock, & I have waited over 40 years to come to the hotel to see what they were raving on about. We were most disappointed overall and would advise nobody to go there until all the work has been finished. Even all the taxi drivers told us that all they get is constant complaints at the moment from people staying there so I think that says it all. I am sorry to have to write this, but it is all true and for a short break which we had really been looking forward to has been thoroughly spoilt!

1 Thank KMW1England
Dear KMW1England,
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry that your long awaited visit did not live up to your expectations. The work that is being done will bring back The Rock Hotel to the reputation it rightly deserves. Besides the unparalleled location and amazing views the rest of the hotel will be refurbished with taste and keeping the charm that your family spoke so highly of. I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in The Rock Hotel and I would ask you kindly to contact me so that I can assist you with the arrangements.
Middlesex
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Went to the Rock again this year because we had such a positive experience last year . The room was nice and clean . There was a major problem with the noise drilling and banging and sounded like scaffolding going up also of hammering . We were disappointed that we had not previously been warned about this . Also the staff in the corridor in the morning were very loud talking, at one point they were in the corridor outside our room talking for nearly an hour my husband actually got out of bed and asked them politely to keep the noise down . Also I think our room must have been opposite the cleaners cupboard because every minute or so the door banged . I will be honest what with the noise of the building work and then the staff and the door. It was all in all annoying and disappointing . Also the bar got closed whilst we were there . We were lucky enough to have 2 days usage of the bar. Will say the breakfast was first class Nothing was too much for the staff. The swimming pool was fantastic nice and clean the staff were first class especially a young lady cal Kat .Also we put the air con on high and bits of black dust came out of it . So we had to use a lower speed. Also there were 2 days when there was a problem with the toilets . We were unable to flush the toilets , when we informed reception it was no big deal . When we were checking out of the hotel we were really disappointed with the person who checked us out . At no point did she ask how our stay had been neither did she thank us for choosing the Rock . I appreciate about the re furbishment but I do think that clients should have been warned previously . Also I think the staff member who checked us out made a bad stay even worse .

Room Tip: We had room no 224 would not recommend it because of the noise form the door banging and the staff...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
CharlesDanino, General Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear nuttynannynoonoo,
Thank you very much for your review. Each and every one of your comments has been taken on board as we appreciate constructive comments such as yours. I have discussed the issue regarding noise with our housekeeping and maintenance teams and their proactive reaction has been immediate. I have also reiterated with our reservations department the importance of advising customers of the refurbishment during the booking stage. I am assured that this is done and in your case it may have been a momentary lapse in our standards. I would like to apologise for this. I am glad that breakfast and the swimming pool faciities and staff met with your satisfaction.
Hayle, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed at the Rock Hotel for three nights in April. Many earlier reviews mention the tatty decor and carpets, but to be honest although yes, both carpets and rooms are showing their age we were well satisfied with both. The room and balcony were clean and totally adequate. The views over the bay to Spain and Africa couldn't be beaten and although there IS a busy road adjacent, this is no real problem. The bar was closed due to being in the process of refurbishment, but the swimming pool bar (across the road) was open and well staffed - a good wine on the Wisteria Terrace was acceptable. Sorry, but the plastic glasses at the pool were not really so acceptable, and areas away from the poolside should have proper glasses.

Staff were really helpful and attentive, from the reception (with a glass of sherry) to the dining room and housekeeping staff. Could not fault them.

A little building noise during the day, but nothing too disturbing. Lighting switch combinations a bit of a mystery and no ducks in the bath!

The real crippler is the ascent of Everest to get to the front door even from the road! Don't bother walking back from the town after a long day - taxis and buses are cheap and readily available. Taxis £7 from the airport and £4 from the other end of town (Casemates Square).

All in all, a very enjoyable stay, a hotel which is renovating itself and I hope the renovation doesn't put up prices when complete so we can go there again.

Oh - and have the breakfast! It's excellent!

Room Tip: All rooms face the sea, but ask for an upper floor for the best view.
1 Thank Derek R
Dear Derek R,
Many thanks for your review. We are placing particular emphasis on our swimming pool bar service over the next few months. The setting and location are second to none in Gibraltar and we will be launching a summer programme shortly that will offer unplugged music nights and Moroccan restaurant al fresco with fantastic food, service and at a good value. Plastic glasses have to be used for health and safety reasons in the pool swimming area. For dining purposes we use a high grade plastic wine glass that combines the elegant look of delicate crystal, with the break-resistance qualities of polycarbonate plastic.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
sidcup
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from 3 nights at the Rock Hotel. I understand there's a renovation project going on but we were full paying guests on a holiday. I'll start with the pros:
*Swimming pool area very nice. Clean, nice bar, good sunbeds (it is over the very busy road though which it doesn't mention on the website)
*Good views
*Breakfast not bad

Cons:
*Very noisy with building work from 8-6 every weekday. *We were told no work on a Saturday but if that's the case I don't know what we heard-sounded like drilling
*Noisy main road right in front
*Leaky toilet which I thought looked as though it was coming from the soil pipe. Maintenance came but didn't say what it was, just cleaned it up. It continued to leak all through our stay. Revolting.
*Unhelpful breakfast staff. We wanted a window seat but as they sat 4 pers the older member of staff said no despite it being near empty. We sat there anyway but he was not happy which made it awkward.
*Wifi very hit and miss. Initially we only had it in reception but after a couple of days we noticed it was in our room too
*Asked for a dress to be ironed but it was returned almost as creased. We didn't pay for it.
*No lollipops in the room as advertised. Also no water, safe or pen

The attitude of the reception was really poor. When we initially said how unhappy we were with all the noise-we couldn't sit in our room or take a nap-the member of staff acknowledged that we should have been warned and then that was the end of it. It was such a couldn't care attitude. I recently had surgery and this trip was supposed to be my relaxation and recuperation. It certainly wasn't.

We've stayed at the Eliott before and would go back there rather than choose The Rock again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
CharlesDanino, General Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear JanebSidcup,
I would like to thank you for your comments. We appreciate your feedback as it provides as with an opportunity to take corrective action where necessary and enhance the service we provide to our guests. We are monitoring the work schedule constantly and immediately address any minor deviation with the contractor. Europa Road is indeed a busy thoroughfare in Gibraltar and we are installing new double glaze windows and doors that will address the problem. I was informed by the head waiter about the problem with the window seat your requested. I know that the intention toward you was respectful but perhaps the way it was explained to you was not the most adequate and I would like to apologise for this. I do sincerely hope that you will give us opportunity to regain your confidence in future and please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that I can assist you in making the arrangements.
Charles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gibraltar
Sunborn Gibraltar
#2 of 5 in La Linea de la Concepcion
AC Hotel La Linea
AC Hotel La Linea
#1 of 5 in La Linea de la Concepcion

Been to Rock Hotel Gibraltar? Share your experiences!