“Could be great, needs investment”

Rock Hotel Gibraltar
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Gibraltar
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I first stayed at The Rock Hotel in 1970, as a child, and remember it as exciting and glamorous.

The Art Deco building could be beautiful, and its location is superb, looking out on the liner terminal. But the outside of the building clearly needs a lot of upkeep and, with peeling paint on the exterior, the 1930s icon is not looking its best.

The marble foyer and stairs up to the mezanine reception are a promising welcome. The public areas on this floor are OK, the bar is fine and the service adequate, the terrace cool and inviting.

My room was basic, no better furnished than a Travelodge. The carpet was threadbare in places and, sitting in the bath, it was plain to see the basin coming away from the wall. But, the room was clean, the bathroom newly-tiled, and I did have an excellent night's sleep in the large bed.

Using the stairs rather than the lift in the morning, it's plain to see how much work is needed: peeling paint, marked walls, old and ill-fitting doors.

Staff were generally pleasant and helpful.

With its history and location this could be a classic hotel, but it really does need a lot of cash spent on it to bring it up to modern standards of decor, inside and out.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Valiant2
CharlesDanino, Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear Valiant2,
Thank you for your very detalied and constructive review. The great potential you mention in terms of this iconic building with its unparralled location is doubtless and we hope that it will soon come to fruition. Needless to say, we strive each day to provide the best in terms of customer service and I am glad that your stay was pleasant.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

just came back from a long weekend at the rock hotel , they seem to have started decorating but very slow,
i last visited the hotel in 2011 and they said the work was starting that winter that was 2 years ago .
the staff at the hotel are very good. sometimes very slow in the bar which you have to chase up for food orders which can take an hour . bedrooms clean but dated bathrooms very tried paint falling of the doors and smell of damp . ( put this down to the fact that they all back on to one another.
aircon did not work in our room which was not nice as there is no other way of cooling the room down at night. wifi only works in reception lost signal when you enter the outside bar area.
the views from this hotel are the best ,
not enough tourist info around the hotel for the first time visitor , i use to live in gib so know my way around ,

Room Tip: the higher up the the better the view
1  Thank lesley w

Dear lesley w,
We really value your comments as it is thanks to this feedback that we are able to monitor our facilties and operation. I am glad that our staff served you well despite some waiting in the bar. We have addressed this issue and have taken measures to reinforce the service as we are well aware of the still growing popularity of the bar and Wisteria Terrace.
We hope to welcome you back soon to The Rock !

Reviewed September 23, 2013

This hotel enjoys good views over the strait of Gibralter. All rooms have a balcony. The hotels atmosphere gives a feeling of early 20th century. The staff make your stay welcoming and pleasant. The rooms are now a little tired but never the less clean and comfortable. The restaurant has excellent wines and a good menu. Breakfast is well worth taking. The bar and outside terrace are very nice but the apes can be a pest. Walking distance to everywhere and a bus service across the road to all parts of Gibralter. A great place to relax for 2 or 3 nights.

Room Tip: All are ok
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David D

Dear David D,
Thank you very much for your review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your short stay with us and the genuine Colonial charm of The Rock Hotel and appreciate your mention of the good service our staff provided.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

The views are the best thing I can say about the Rock Hotel. We had planned to stay two nights, but left after one. When we arrived, we misread our key, went to the wrong room, our key worked, and we walked in on someone. We then went to our room and the key worked again. There was no security lock or chain so we wound up wedging a chair under the doorknob. The room - and the hotel - felt old, but the bed was comfortable. The foot in the bar was actually quite good.

1  Thank prhnjd

Dear prhnjd,

Firstly I would lke to thank you again for providing me with the additional information I requested. This was very useful as it helped us identify the problem and fix it. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Rock Hotel in he near future.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I wouldn't be complaining about the Taj Mahal having a little faded paintwork, and I wouldn't complain about The Rock Hotel on the same basis. The entrance to the place is fabulous in marble, the after meal balcony scene is just great, and we spent every night sipping vino until long after everybody else had called it a night. The staff were as helpful as anybody else who is getting paid for it, and the rooms were just dandy. The air con is brilliant and quiet enough to leave on the low setting. I slept like a log in the huge bed. The food was adequate for British tastes, I don't know about you, but it's hard to find really good food anywhere apart from France. Breakfast was a feast if you're that hungry, having everything you could wish for. Having treated ourselves to a cable car trip, and explored the whole of the rock, including the breathtaking staircase down, in the burning heat of the day, our good freind Aziz in the bar came to our assistance with an "Ice Cold in Alex" moment, providing two nicely chilled pints of Fosters just in time.. We were there on business, but made the most of the opportunities. I don't care if they throw money at the place or not, the views and the location are a dream, and I'd definitely go again.

Room Tip: Go to the top floor and just marvel at what's in front of you. The monkeys like biscuits, prefer...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
CharlesDanino, Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Dear Alan J,
Being compared to the Taj Mahal for our iconic qualities is something that we could never have imagined would never happen, I would like to thank you as it is a very gracious thing to say. I think that you have captured the essence and ambience of the Rock Hotel so well.
Looking forward to your return.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Just spent five nights at the Rock Hotel and thoroughly enjoyed them. I was delighted at my room - biggest balcony I have ever had - and the views over the Bay which were just stunning! Yes, the hotel has a forthcoming refurbishment, so some areas need a little tlc but my room was spotless, as was the bathroom - and the ducks were an amusing touch. The pool area was great - it's a sea water pool so can be a bit chilly at times - but the staff there were incredibly friendly and the food great. I do hope the forthcoming works don't change the hotel too much - and please keep the furry apes on the keys - if we wanted an anonymous chain hotel, we would stay elsewhere! Staying at the Rock hotel means you get a piece of history - the photos in the Barbary bar tell their own story and I loved having the real apes visit every morning and evening, and hope they will still be there when I return next time!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Susan B
CharlesDanino, Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Dear Susan B,
Thank you for your review. You are quite right in higlighting the historic legacy of The Rock Hotel. This is the very reason why we strive hard to uphold its tradition of good and caring service for all our guests.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed at The Rock Hotel during the week of National Day, we chose this particular hotel as it was known as the 'flagship' hotel of Gibraltar. Firstly The Rock Hotel is in need of refurbishment, as in previous comments. It appears the hotel is becoming more and more dilapidated and this mysterious refurb is not materialising and appears to be an excuse to cover up such a ramshackle establishment. We were told the Bland Group wanted to knock the hotel down and replace it with housing but the Government would not allow this and there have been major redundancies early this year hence we feel they are deliberately running the place into the ground.

Once we received our room key consisting of a very grubby soft toy ape which made a very annoying screech every time you touched it. Definitely not a delight and a favourable gimmick and not expected either.

Paint was peeling, coving and plasterwork coming away, every carpet was stained throughout the whole hotel, bathroom tile grout was black, these are just some examples of the building.
With regards to service the reception staff were pleasant with exception of the reception manager who banned us from celebrating National Day in the hotel, stating it was for private homes only. Housekeeping staff were good but obviously fighting a losing battle trying to keep clean a dirty run down hotel. When I say dirty I mean deep cleaning beyond their control and not general surface cleaning which they did fine. The breakfast staff were dreadful very disinterested and disorganised, most mornings we had to chase our beverages. I realise this will sound picky but it will give you a feel of the lack of attention in the restaurant. We were eating breakfast with a fish fork some mornings and tea being served in a coffee pot, lack of cruets on tables meant guests where borrowing from neighbouring tables, lack of available tables for guests meant queuing outside the door, not what I would expect from a four star establishment.

I cannot understand the AA in giving this hotel four stars, it is more akin to a two-three (at best) star. We will definitely not be returning to The Rock Hotel whilst it is under the same management and in such a state. Please be aware the folks taking favourably about 'faded glory' of The Rock Hotel it is not faded but long dead and buried. Such a very sad thing even the locals are upset about the decline of what was once considered the grandest establishment in Gibraltar.

On the subject of Gibraltar itself, I can highly recommend it, there is lots to see and do, the locals are so warm and friendly. A fascinating place steeped with a rich tapestry of history, the ww2 tunnels are a must. National Day in Casemates square is an amazing experience and part of the reason for our visit to support Gib especially with the recent troubles with Spain.

Room Tip: None as the whole hotel including the rooms need to be refurbished
2  Thank Francis R

Dear Francis R,
First of all I would like to thank you for your review. It is not the best we have received but it is frank and I am sure that it is well intended. The need for a renovation is unquestionable and I can assure you that it is our absolute priority. It is not a mystery, however it is true that it has been in the plan for quite sometime. We generally achieve excellent ratings for service thanks to the good service base that exists and the impetus we place, and I am surprised to hear that you were disappointed about the National Day celebration you requested. It will be addressed and if there was a lack of clarity it will be rectified for the future.
Thanks again and best regards,
Charles

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gibraltar
Sunborn Gibraltar
Ohtels Campo de Gibraltar
Ohtels Campo de Gibraltar
#2 of 5 in La Linea de la Concepcion
Holiday Inn Express Campo de Gibraltar - Barrios

Been to Rock Hotel Gibraltar? Share your experiences!