“I'll be back!”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Gibraltar
East Midlands
“I'll be back!”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

If you like sipping your chosen beverage whilst watching the world go by, this hotel is for you. Yes a room with a view often means a steep climb to the hotel, but this one offers the choice of a free short bus-ride or a small, if fairly steep climb.

My fellow travellers recommend the Rock Hotel for its views and I am happy to pass on the recommendation. I loved the place. The Rock Hotel is beautifully situated for what must be the best views of the straights of Gibraltar. Yes, it’s located on a busy road and opposite the botanical gardens, so if traffic noise or the dawn chorus is a problem for you, you may need to think again, but it suited me fine.

Other travellers indicate that this hotel is now beyond its 1930s heyday. Yes if you look hard enough, that is true. But I felt the hotel management has done an excellent job in maintaining a large historic building with its guests in mind. Some guests were unhappy the phones in the bedrooms were not working. I gather it’s a work in progress but it didn’t pose a problem for me.

The generous sherry on arrival at reception was a pleasant welcome and the tea and coffee facilities in the room a bonus. My room was spacious, well designed and clean and tidy. The rest of my stay was exactly what I’d expect from a large 4*hotel except my balcony view. That exceeded my wildest dreams and included Morocco, the straights of Gibraltar, the busy shipping lanes, the cruise liner terminal, Spain, the cable car. I loved every bit of it.

A swimming pool is not on my personal wish list when I travel, so the fact the Rock Hotel offers one was an unplanned perk. It is across the road but in a beautifully thought out situation. I enjoyed a relaxing gin and tonic in this peaceful sunny oasis until a large group of travellers arrived who were looking for a livelier afternoon. I moved on to explore the atmospheric botanical gardens opposite the hotel for my peace and quiet. Gibraltar has something for everyone.

If you visit Gibraltar with monkeys in mind, you don’t actually have to leave the hotel! Both the hotel and previous reviews warn travellers not to disregard the warnings about “mischievous monkeys”. Heed these warnings at your peril. I watched a devious gang of three in action as they skillfully skipped over the roof, walls and balconies. Two used the age old technique of cute and innocent as a distraction whilst the third stripped the unfortunate room whose balcony door had not been bolted. These miscreants know exactly what they are doing as they execute their well practiced routine. Packets of sugar, coffee and lollipops flew out of the balcony and then the party began. It’s hugely entertaining to watch other rooms being mugged, but probably best not to be mugged yourself. You make the decision!

Gibraltar offers a perfect quick break for sunshine, views and tourist attractions. It offers a free bus service around the territory with the exception of the airport run which costs a whole £1. For lazy Brits, you don’t have to change currency or learn a language. And if you are driving, fill up your tank before you leave, it’s 30p less per litre than back home!

As for the Rock Hotel – I’ll be back, I loved it.

Room Tip: Most rooms appear to face the straights so will have a view
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
srevad, General Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Dear SashaEastMidlands, Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review. As is often expressed in my replies, there are some people who 'get' the Rock for what she is and of course others that prefer a different style of hotel altogether. I am glad that you honed in on the quirky and warm characteristics that we stiil feel are important. I was pleased to read that you gave us some credit for keeping the hotel 'maintained with guests in mind' but I think it's fair to say that we are all immensely looking forward to the commencement of our project. Once this is complete I hope that we will have a cutting edge establishment but one that still retains a charm offensive. Thank you once more.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
LIVERPOOL
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Good comfortable hotel with excellent food (apart from sausages). Paintwork a bit chipped in corridors, and poor lighting in bedroom, otherwise excellent surroundings and staff service.
My second visit, and I hope to go again next year.

Room Tip: A higher floor for best views (Morocco in the distance)
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Dear Anthony K, Thank you for your review. We do hope that you do return next year. Your comment about our food being excellent was welcome and your observation about the breakfast sausage is noted! Our chef has been informed - this comment is quite rare, but I wonder if a supplier problem may have forced him to introduce a temporary alternative? Thank you once more.
Guernsey
Reviewed April 24, 2012

S last stayed at the Rock Hotel in the mid 1980's during my Royal Naval days and always wanted to go back and spend a few days there with my wife. We stayed for 6 nights from the 15 to 21 April 2012. On arrival the reception area seemed very nice and check in was faultless. We were even welcomed with a glass of sherry. Our room was on the 4th floor and on entering I realised that the rooms had not changed since I last stayed about 30 years ago. The bed was king size but still used sheets and blankets rather than duvets. The furniture appeared to be from the same era or before. The TV was of the old fashioned type and perched on the now defunct minibar although the fridge was still usable. The bathroom was clean but the metal window had what appeared to be mildew surrounding it. The shower over the bath had minimal pressure and the hot water was luke warm for most of the time. The balcony was rather narrow and rather shabby with a metal table and 2 chairs which would be more at home on a pavement outside of a cafe. The view from the balcony of the harbour, across the bay to Algeciras, the Straits of Gibraltar and North Africa more than made up for its shabby appearance. We looked down from the balcony onto the top of the Wisteria Terrace and also onto two rather grubby balconies of rooms which were no longer in use on the 3rd floor. After unpacking we decided to explore the public areas of the hotel. On first impressions the lounge area (with sea views) seems quite nice but on closer inspection the furniture is tired and the large windows have cracks in some places, part of the surrounds are missing in some places and a paint job is required. The english papers arrive about midday. The bar area is quaint with pictures of the Rocks bygone glories covering the walls. It is also used for bar meals which are quite reasonably priced as are the drinks. The Wisteria Terrace, with views over the bay, is a nice place to sit and have a drink in the afternoon or evening. The internet room (with free internet) was out of use due to water ingress through the ceiling. There always seemed to be work going on in the area behind reception. We only had breakfast (help yourself buffet) in the hotel reataurant and there is a good choice of continental or English although any eggs, other than scrambled, have to be ordered from the waiting staff. Again, here, the furniture is rather tired and the carpet has seen better days and is in need of replacement.
The swimming pool area (across the road) is very pleasant and Mohammed (i/c) does a good job
of keeping an eye on things. If you can look beyond the desperate need for refurbishment the Rock can be a pleasant place to stay and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Gibraltar. There is a lot of history in the place, many good restaurants and the buses are free!

Room Tip: All seaview rooms do not have a balcony. Beware of Apes entering rooms so keep balcony doors shut i...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear MasonGuernsey, WhiIst I concede that our rooms area little tired but (as you can read elsewhere) this and other issues we be dealt with as part of a multi-million pound investment, they actually date back to 1998. None the less this is still a long time in hotel years although we work hard to keep them acceptable. We did have some water ingress during your stay and the work going on behind reception was related to a new telephony infrastructure we are currently installing which we make us fit for new IT as we acquire it. I have passed on your kind words about Mohamed - although he has been at the Rock for many, many years, this area of the hotel is a new one for him this summer and this is a well timed pat on the back. i hope that you do come back and see us in due course. Thank you.
Cambs
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Overall very disappointed was on business for 5 days in the week in Apr 12. No phone at all in room from arrival on the Monday until late Thursday evening. my subsequent complaint stated this was intermittent I would argue otherwise and also the manager stated most people bring mobiles now this is an unacceptable answer and they are safety imlpications of having no phone for many of the elderly guests staying here. No Internet from the Wednesday morning at all for the rest of my stay. Room was clean with great view but terrace filthy and broken glass. Breakfast dishes dirty.

Hangars do not fit in wardrobes. Water pressure poor had to use hot water from bath to shave as could not get sufficient out of sink.

I would not stay again or recommend especially as little concern was given to my concerns during the stay and afterwards

Room Tip: Do Not rely on having any Internet or Phone. Stay somewhere else which is better value. The negative...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear ydeoc, Prior to this review we have exchanged a number of e-mails where I have been both apologetic and conciliatory relating to both real and circumstancial shortcomings as some of your problems were untypical. I have offered what I consider a perfectly professional line by line response to each item within this correspondence. This does rather belie your comment about after stay concerns. I am at a loss as to how to placate you but as you know I would still like the chance to prove that the Rock can, and does, offer standards of comfort and care. This can either in the short term or post refurbishment. You only need to contact me.
preston
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Art deco style hotel perched on the rock of gibralter, nice hotel, tranquil pool area, superb staff, great view, decor a bit tired but that sensational view made up for it, we love the Rock hotel and gibralter and would like to carry on returning forever!

Coventry
Reviewed April 22, 2012

My husband is Gibraltarian and had always wanted to stay in the Rock Hotel so we finally went a week ago. The views are 5-star, the location 4-star but the hotel is only 3-star. Our room was very tired looking, the bathroom was quite dingy. The water was barely tepid for the first two days and the shower had no pressure at all. We informed Reception each morning but nothing was done. We found used tea-bags in the teapot on the tray in our room so this obviously hadn't been inspected properly. There were dead flies in the public lounge areas which were there all of our stay. On the plus side: the hotel pool, which is across a busy road from the hotel, is lovely and well-appointed. The breakfast choices were excellent and extensive. Tea on the Wisteria Terrace was delicious. There was free internet access (not in our room). Would we stay there again? Probably not, which seems such a shame.

Room Tip: Don't pick room 430!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
srevad, General Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Dear Sally-Ann S, I was genuinely sorry to read your comments and in particular that your husband, as a Gibraltarian, felt let down having waited so long to stay with us. As you know the Rock is some 80 years old this year and although there was a considerable investment in bedrooms some 14 years ago I think it fair to say the impending refurbishment is at a level hitherto considered and that this will once more render the Rock as a jewel in Gibraltar's crown. I do hope that I will have the opportunity at some point to welcome you and your husband to the 'new ' hotel. Thank you for taking the time post your review.
Derby
Reviewed April 22, 2012

This clearly has been a fine hotel, but it is now in desperate need of refurbishment, inside and out.
The positive things are a wonderful location and views.
The staff were generally helpful and friendly, but at times there were simply not enough of them. We decided to eat in the bar on our second evening, after 25 minutes we had not even been able to order drinks let alone food, we left and went in to town to eat. When we complained at reception on the way out we were told that management had cut back on staff.
Breakfast was adequate but not inspiring with no variation in the buffet. It was possible to order additional items, but when we tried that 2 fried eggs took 30 minutes to arrive and one of them had a broken yoke.
The room was comfortable, but small and faded with peeling paint on doors, stains etc and the bowl of plastic flowers should have been binned years ago. The metal french doors did not open properly and needed to be double glazed to cut the noise from the road and the dock area but the view was excellent. On our last 2 nights the supply of hot water was limited. This may have been associated with the plumbing problems which put the computer room out of action for most of our stay.
This was not what we expect from a 4 star hotel. However, with some investment it could be the best hotel in Gibraltar given its fantastic location.
Interestingly, we were not given a guest questionnaire to fill in and when we asked for one at reception as we checked out they could not find one. I wonder if that had anything to do with the fact that we had already complained about something?

1 Thank Monty420
Dear Monty420, Thank you for your comments. News of our impending refurbishment is very much covered within this site and sufficed to say we too are convinced that this investment will once more lift the hotel to its former status. We have not cut back on staff as you were erroniously informed but a new roster system has been implemented that had created a teething problem which should by now have been ironed out. Naturally I was sorry to read of your experience in the bar - an area that is generally subject to a great deal of praise. Regarding guest questionnaires, these are located in each room with other items of stationery and are also to be found in a dispenser on reception as you check out. Thank you once more for taking the time to post a review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gibraltar
Sunborn Gibraltar
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,112 reviews
AC Hotel La Linea
AC Hotel La Linea
#1 of 5 in La Linea de la Concepcion

Been to Rock Hotel Gibraltar? Share your experiences!