“Good value”
Review of Cannon Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gibraltar
Cannon Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Gibraltar
London, United Kingdom
“Good value”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I'm not sure what the other reviewers are moaning about, as this place was exactly what I was expecting when I booked what is probably the cheapest hotel in Gibraltar. Of course it is going to be a bit small and the furnishings will be a bit dated -- if you don't want that, book at a more expensive place. But if you want a place to crash in the evening and a decent Full English breakfast in the morning (which is included), and don't want to spend a lot, then this is your place. The staff was friendly (they were willing to stay late to let me in when my boat from Tangier was delayed) and the location is fantastic (just off main street, and a 20-25 minute walk to the airport). My only complaint was that the workers on the street started at about 7am, which woke me up since I had the window open.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank lookatfinn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Churchdown, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I have to say I have read several dreadful reviews of the Cannon but feel they are unfounded. I lived in Gibraltar for many years so I know how hard it is to find somewhere to stay there that is reasonably priced. This was our second visit and the Cannon proved for a second time to be incredible value when compared with the other hotels there and as we are a family this would be exorbitant in no time for us. The Cannon provides clean, basic rooms, with shared shower rooms. The breakfast is lovely and the staff are unfailingly friendly and helpful. We stayed with our one year old and fourteen year old and on asking whether they had a highchair, they apologised that they didn't...and three hours later they had been to Mothercare and bought a brand new one for us to use throughout our stay. They let us take it into our rooms and always made sure the little one had food and drink he liked available even though he was not being charged for. Ignore all the other reviews if what you are looking for an affordable hotel in the heart of the town area where people are pleased to see you and happy to help you with anything they can. If you can afford a 4 star hotel you must bear in mind the Cannon is not one of those....but for £420 for 8 nights for four of us, I am heralding the Cannon as doing exactly what it said, providing a comfortable and welcoming stay and I would and will return.

Room Tip: Request an outside room/window as this will bring a through-draft in summer when the heat builds up.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rebelmenace
Province of Malaga, Spain
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed here for one night In June with 2 of my friends , we booked online and managed to get a room with 3 single beds . The photographs from the hotel website were nothing like seeing the hotel with our own eyes .
Yes the hotel was cheap but the standards were poor and very average , the hotel could do with a lick of paint and a good clean.
The only saving grace was the receptionist was very polite and helpful , he was the reason why I gave you 1 star.
The breakfast was very very basic with no imagination "what you see is what you get "
The hotel and my room is full of dated tired old furniture ,when looking around the room I found ciggy stumps in the bathroom draw .There are potential safety hazards thru out the hotel .
It's a shame really ,if the management don't change their poor attitudes and read the numerous poor reviews and act on them the next time the hotel is up for a review / audit it will lose it license .
But to do that you have to have pride and CARE about your hotel .........sadly the Cannon hotel has waved its white flag and given up .

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank cuddslfc

Travelers are raving about these Gibraltar hotels

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed August 18, 2012

The hotel had a not very bad bed, but the showers and rooms were not the cleanest i have ever seen. Also the TV they have in the room is a smaller than small version. Otherwise, for a purse friendly option, this hotel is recomendable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank bjda_1
Winchester
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Believe it or not I went here for a short trip in Gibraltar and was sitting in the bar enjoying my beer watching the world go by and noticed the bar staff was mopping the floor and then mopped the worksurface where they prepare breakfast. Not too impressed with that!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank barnabyb
Gibraltar
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I have had family stay at the Cannon Hotel a number of times over the years, and while it is basic, it does not try to pass itself of as anything more. The Cannon is a purse-friendly option for you, and I do not know many people that intend to spend their holidays in the hotel, opposed to out on the streets getting to know the area. If you choose to spend your time in the hotel, you wouldn't opt for the Cannon, but a more expensive hotel, like perhaps the Caleta Palace, which boast far more services.

As for the Cannon not being a good comparison to the budget hotels found in the UK; may I remind you that such hotels in the UK are part of a chain, and they are only able to offer such low prices because they have so many other branches to spread their costs. They are multi-million pound companies; the Cannon is an independent establishment. Also, what you consider to be a budget price in the UK, is very different to that in Gibraltar. I was born and raised in the UK, and many things in Gibraltar seem expensive to me, but locally they are considered cheap. The Cannon is one of them.

As for the cockroach found dead in a room, cockroaches do not signify dirt in the Med; they are everywhere, whether you keep a clean home or not. This is not the UK where they only hang out in disgusting kebab shops - here in Gibraltar, and elsewhere in Europe and in Africa, they are everywhere. They are what comes with a hot climate. The Cannon is largely an outside hotel; everything but the reception/bar, dining room, communal showers and bedrooms are external, therefore you should expect the odd cockroach to be around. Plus they are crazy at getting through tight spaces - trust me on that, so don't assume your room is dirty should you find one.

And yes, the streets of Gibraltar are noisy; that is what comes with having 30,000+ inhabitants, plus tourists on a tiny rock. The law states that people can make as much noise as they like until 11pm, and often people do. The Cannon is in the middle of town, so you will find you hear noise most of the evening, and osmetimes into the night aswell. Also mopeds are aplenty, so expect to hear them through the streets during the night. If you prefer not to hear such noise I recommend staying elsewhere in Gibraltar, and not in the city centre.

The Cannon is a low-cost, no-frills option for your trip. Do you really expect much for the price you pay? I can say, hand on heart, that I would not. Each and every time my family have stayed there while visiting, they have never disappointed. They have great staff that work hard to help you wherever possible, they are friendly and the hotel is always clean.

Room Tip: There are rooms on the street, and rooms away from the street. If you sleep lightly, ask for one awa...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank ERL_1984
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Just returned from a great break in Gibraltar. Thanks to the Cannon Hotel, our trip was wonderful. The staff, including Paul, Heidi, Sancha, Ryan, Henni and Madeleine were so friendly it was like staying with family.
The breakfast, which is a traditional British fry up, was excellent, as usual. This sort of food is mostly appreciated by us Brits, so if you are not used to fried egg, sausage (spicy and delicious), back bacon, baked beans, tomato, toast, orange juice and coffee, beware.
The room we stayed in was clean and had an on-suite bathroom. It was good. In answer to previous critics moans, there were NO COCKROACHES. Also, if you want a change of towels or sheets, why not talk to somebody. Many times I saw the owner of the Hotel cleaning and changing towels and sheets.
Just to finish off this Gettysburg Address. I have said it before and I will say it again loudly, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!
In Gibraltar the hotel rates and property prices are becoming extortionate. Without wonderful Hotels like the Cannon, my wife and I could not afford to go there. Many Thanks Again to all staff at the Hotel. See you next year.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 108. Great view but with an open window, noisy seagulls.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MikeBaxter28
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gibraltar
O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel
#2 of 6 in Gibraltar
Ohtels Campo de Gibraltar
Ohtels Campo de Gibraltar
#2 of 5 in La Linea de la Concepcion

Been to Cannon Hotel? Share your experiences!