“Nice hotel, far from town”
Review of Caleta Hotel

Caleta Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Gibraltar
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This was a nice hotel especially if you get a room that faces the water. Unfortunately the hotel is a little out of the way and it is easiest to take a taxi to and from town as they are not expensive, around 5 gbp.

We were glad that we brought EARPLUGS because the walls are paper thin and the front doors tend to slam and the noise travels all the way down the hall.

The breakfast was great! There was a wonderful assortment of cold meats and cheese, yogurts, breads and the coffee/espresso machine was nice.

I found the staff very attentive and kind.

If you are looking for a romantic place to stay I would definitely recommend staying here for the nice interior and beautiful views.
If you are looking for a more convenient place to stay then I would recommend staying closer to town. There aren't many food options near the Caleta and you will end up going to town anyway for a decent meal.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the ocean otherwise you will get stuck facing the Rock of Gibraltar an...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ktdbot
Write a ReviewReviews (1,109)

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Second time we'd visited Gibraltar and this time we stayed at the Caleta hotel because we hadn't seen this side of the island and also because we hoped that my mum would get to see her beloved "mates" (apes) on our balcony! Gibraltar is a fantastic place to be anyway and having good weather and sharing it with people you love is even more of a bonus - which the hotel further added to!

The staff were so helpful with anything and everything and my sister was Chief Negotiator in such matters and brilliantly managed to get our room changed for a much better one (i.e. had a balcony and sea view, etc). I have to admit our motivation was mostly so we could use the balcony to smoke but also for our mum to see her 'mates' - which we did.

Our view was great - the sea and the Rock - what more could you want? The room was clean, spacious and had everything you need such as a decent wardrobe space, full-length mirror, hairdryer, fabulous little toiletries (containing just about everything you may want or need) fridge, kettle, amazingly comfortable beds, balcony (with ace view), etc...

We didn't eat at the hotel other than for breakfast but this was exceptionally good considering it was 'continental'. Freshly squeezed orange or grapefruit juice, fresh fruit, breads/rolls/pastries, cereals and all other manner of things that go well beyond any 'continental breakfast' I've ever seen before. Even my sister came to breakfast after the first day and believe me, that's an amazing event in itself! The terrace bar was also nice to have an evening drink but we only did this once as we all love Casemates Square so much!

This hotel has a fantastic position in terms of its location and a fabulous bus service to main part of town (where you can then get a bus to anywhere on the island) and they run really frequently. Price is MUCH cheaper than a taxi and more fun (we thought) and you can buy tickets to save more money if you want - senior citizens get it even cheaper and are referred to in Gibraltar as 'Senior Hoppers' (which my mum preferred!)

From the hotel you can walk down to the beach (well you could if they unlocked the gate - which they never did) so access is only achieved by taking the road-route! Not a major hassle but a bit annoying (especially if you're not 'a walker' or enjoy a steep climb on a hot day and after the gin and tonics have reached their full effect!) Still worth the effort though if the weather is good.

On the down side - this hotel looks 'tired' in some areas but renovations are currently in progress and no doubt that when these are all done, we wouldn’t be able to afford staying there! The shop never opened to my knowledge although some of the things inside looked nice and I may well have spent some money in there so I guess you could argue they did me a favour by never being open!

Would we go back to this hotel? Probably not but I would go back to the beach if I'm ever in Gibraltar again on a hot day - and I'd even get the bus to do so! The staff are great and the facilities are by no means anything to complain about but we never stay in the same place twice - in fact we rarely go back to the same country but Gibraltar has something very endearing and charming about it that just pulls you in (anyway, Mum has her heart set on staying at 'The Rock' next time and yep you've guessed it - because of seeing her 'mates'!)

Room Tip: Some rooms have a great view of both the Rock and the sea - be choosy!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Smurf24
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The hotel is on the quite side of the rock, which was great for us, but there aren't many places to eat in the immediate vicinity, so that is a bit limiting. The hotel room was lovely and spacious. Our private balcony overlooked the Mediterranean sea, which was beautiful to wake up to. Every evening someone came into the room to leave chocolate under the pillow which was always a very nice surprise. The continental breakfast was lovely. One evening we ate in the hotel bar, where the food was a little disappointing given the price.
There are regular buses into the town from outside the hotel, but if you miss these then its about 30-35 min walk into the town, which isn't bad on a nice day. The buses do stop at 9 pm, but if you have to walk back in the evening the path is well lit.
Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony facing the sea.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed in their apartment for two nights with friends, it was much better than we though it was. The apartment was big, renovations are new with very good view.

There is a beautiful beach right beside the hotel, enjoyed the sun bathing so much! BUT, beware of monkeys when you are by the swimming pool with food!

**the room price was quite expensive

Room Tip: Sea view room is better than rock view! Choose the apartment!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I have recently returned from a conference and we stayed
For 3 nights at this hotel. The welcome when we arrived at 2 am was beyond expectation and throughout our stay the staff were attentive and always happy to oblige. My room had a fabulous view over the med, with the sea lapping the rocks just below. I would like to thank all the staff for making our stay one to remember.

Room Tip: A room with a sea view would be worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 20, 2013

In my opinion you couldn't wish to stay in a better place. Although on the outside it looks like it could do with a little painting on the inside it is magnificent, our accommodation to say is just wonderful would be an understatement, we could not wish for better. The staff are a credit to the company, not one single person has been ill mannered or sourly, they have been most helpful and polite all the time and some work long shifts and must be tired but it doesn't show.It would be wrong of me to single anyone person out for praise but one i feel I must mention is Marik the reception manager who not only goes the extra mile for you but will carry you there if you wish it, he heads a team of first class reception staff and leads by example. Nuno's the restaurant is as some have said a little expensive but then what do you expect for food of this caliber and standard of service, I have paid a lot more for a lot less, well worth dining there don't miss it or you will regret it. So thank you Caleta for a most memorable holiday, thank you all from the maintenance guys - bar staff - housekeeping - waiting and reception staff brilliant job well done be proud.

Room Tip: Sea facing will obviously add to your pleasure
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David D
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

What a lovely little find :-) it is dated, twee and a bit Titanic looking; but soooo sweet, the staff are really welcoming and helpful and the views are amazing. Really accommodating with our 2 year old too. We will definitely come back again :-)

• Stayed: April 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gibraltar
Rock Hotel Gibraltar
Ohtels Campo de Gibraltar
Ohtels Campo de Gibraltar
#2 of 5 in La Linea de la Concepcion
Holiday Inn Express Campo de Gibraltar - Barrios

Been to Caleta Hotel? Share your experiences!