“My wedding destination.”
Review of Caleta Hotel

Caleta Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Gibraltar
Reviewed October 3, 2011

The most important thing, we got married there:)we had a beautiful bridal suite with 2 little terraces overlooking the sea, lower terraces and the Rock, room 512. King size bed with a little side sofa.Big bathroom(only little downpoints: you had to wait long time for warm water and I couldn't adjust the shower, it is in standard height).Strawberries&champagne arrived straight away, we have been welcomed by a staff member and went through basic about hotel and wedding schedule. Next day we have met a manager for a longer chat and work on the details for our wedding.

Hotel looks lovely, even if you can see that some of the parts requires more attention. We loved terraces and tied knots on one the small ones.But be aware, if you have dark clothes you will have white marks from white painted balustrades.
Reception desk was very attentive and very helpful, also a hotel chauffeur was available to take us to the top of the Rock (you must do it!!).

Breakfast room is big and sunny but the staff didn't look very happy.There was a nice choice of continental and English breakfast, although you had to made your own tosts:))
Downstairs restaurant had a delicious food and we had a lovely dinner before our wedding day and after as well.On a ground floor there is also a very nice bar area for lunch.

The beauty salon: we had both full body massage (but I was really cold during the massage), manicure and then hair and make up, girls are lovely, but very busy if there more than one wedding in a day like it was in my case.
Pool area looks very relaxing but we didn't try it, there is also a way down to the beach but steps were wet and it didn't look encouraging to go.
There is a bus stop just outside the hotel (for free), or you can use taxi which are not expensive.

Overall: we had a lovely time and we will come back and it would be great to see that something has changed for better (example: one cleaning lady for a whole hotel??):))
If you have any questions I am happy to help.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GuernseyBell

Reviewed September 23, 2011

The hotel is ok, but seriously over priced in almost all areas. The cost of the rooms was astonishing, I had a suite for 5 nights and thought it was very basic, it had a couple of nice touches such as soft close toilet seat, an over head shower and a backlit mirror and air conditioning. I also took a 'normal' room for the rest of my stay, and the main difference was the lack of air conditioning, the decor was very old and falling apart, wallpaper was peeling off etc.

The wifi costs a small fortune when it should be free with the price of the rooms, and it doesnt even reach all of the rooms. The coverage is due to be inproved though.

The reception staff are helpful and friendly, but several of the restaurant staff looked miserable especially in the morning!

The food is quite nice in the restaurants although again overpriced. We actually found it cheaper (and of course more variety) to get a taxi into town, eat a 3 course meal with drinks
and then get a taxi back.

I would say this hotel should really be a 2-3 star, and the actual 4 star rating is misleading.

Room Tip: cheap rooms (£150 a night) have only got a noisy ceiling fan, no air con, avoid in the summer months...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank j100_99
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Spend one night here while passing through Gibraltar.
I stayed here five years previously, and although some areas have had a lick of paint, much remains the same.
Quite how this hotel managed to get or indeed keep its four star rating is a mystery.

Checking in took some considerable time, due to the staff’s limited command of English and difficulty processing more than one person at a time. It seemed to take the combined efforts of three members of staff to attend to one guest.

I arrived at 1340hrs but was told not to bother trying to obtain any lunch as it officially finishes at 1400hrs, so twenty minutes before the end of service, service ends!

My room on the third floor had three single beds, very old and dated furniture, a bathroom that can be best be described as adequate, no fridge, no air conditioning and a very small TV.
Fine for one night but not the level of comfort expected from four stars or that could be endured for longer.

The pool was clean and of an appropriate temperature, but beware, access to the beach is via a precarious series of uneven steps that can be slippery and hazardous when wet. Once on the beach try to ignore the rubbish, debris and graffiti that surrounds you.

I took my evening meal early as I needed to meet up with colleagues in the town. I was offered a very limited choice and what food arrived had clearly been prepared earlier, much earlier.
There is a maître d' with a serious attitude problem, he was there five years ago and he’s still there, strutting around like he owns the place, shouting orders at the younger waitresses, chooses to speak English when it suits him and polices breakfast service like he’s in charge of a concentration camp.

Again not up to four star standards one expects, especially when on British Sovereign Territory.

Sleep quality was poor due to no air conditioning, uncomfortable (old) beds and noise from the corridors.

Breakfast was a poor quality buffet affair, with no hot items at all. I believe you could ask for some cooked items but another guest told me its £5 for a boiled egg, and £5 for anything else, again one ponders the question four stars???

My check out was again problematic and required the assistance of two hotel staff.
All I needed to do was sign the bill, but again the simplest of things take the longest I find!

Would not stay here again, I don’t know Gibraltar that well but I’m sure there are better places here, or perhaps over the border.

Room Tip: Sorry but you need to chose another hotel, or pay 'top money' for a suite, if they have any.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank rangestormer
Reviewed September 22, 2011

stayed here last week, what a let down, bed bugs in my bed, complained and was told " Sorry mardum es normal in Hibraltar" translated sorry its normal in gibraltar, not normal for me, i visit gibraltar and normally stay at the rock, and will be doing from now on !!!

Room Tip: dont bother stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank frequent t
Reviewed September 20, 2011

first visit to hotel good clean room with fantastic views bathroom bit tired looking staff are very helpful pool area is very tired could do with revamp terrace bar great views but the small birds are a pest make mess on seats all things considered still agood hotel and great location would definitly stay again

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I read lots of the reviews before choosing the Caleta for our wedding day.

I can understand a lot of the criticism that it receives as the staff are not working together as one & they are missing the concept of providing an excellent service. They need to step up and check everything before the guests arrive and ensure that everything is up to expectation as it can be extremely frustrating, especially the little things. You also don't get the impression that they go anywhere near the extra mile!

We booked a double deluxe room directly with the hotel months in advance, only to be given a twin room and we were there to be married! Having been told there was very little option available, we did get a double deluxe.

The room was not as good as some in our party who booked via MyGibraltar for less money, which included breakfast too, so this is a lesson I've learnt! It was however clean with a wonderful view.

The facilities are good and the pool is more of a plunge than swimming pool, but well maintained.

We always received good service in the bar and the staff were always helpful.

Our wedding day was perfect, thanks to Diego, the Food & Beverage Manager who ensured that the setting for the wedding - the Ocean View Terrace - was clean and well decorated. We were a party of 11 & had the lower terrace of Nunos all to ourselves, overlooking the sea which was just perfect. The food was wonderful and the service superb. All the other little disappointments disappeared because of the perfect wedding we experienced.

Room Tip: All the double deluxe rooms seem to have the wonderful sea views. However, we were on the first flo...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We love the Gibraltar and the Caleta in particular. Service is excellent and the afternoon teas on the Veranda are wonderful. We have stayed in other Hotels when in Gib but keep coming back to the Caleta. Food is excellent but for a change - would recommend La Mamela, walking distance from Hotel and also Cafe Rojo in Irishtown.

Room Tip: Would recommend a sea view
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KathySouthportUK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gibraltar
Sunborn Gibraltar
#2 of 5 in La Linea de la Concepcion
AC Hotel La Linea
AC Hotel La Linea
#1 of 5 in La Linea de la Concepcion

Been to Caleta Hotel? Share your experiences!