Not much I can add to the mega-reviews preceding mine!! Karen at the front desk was excellent, and the hotel's location is also as good as it gets in Gib. We had a little trepidation regarding the hotel due to some poor reviews previous to our trip ("tired old hotel"), but we found it just perfect. The rooftop pool is very nice, although it can certainly be a bit breezy.
A couple of notes on Gib itself:
(1) If you can work Gib into your travel plans, it really is worth an overnight stop -- although it's cheaper to stay in the abutting Spanish city of La Linea,
(2) If you are staying for one night or day-visiting, it's probably not worth converting your money to the pound. However, BE WARNED, proprietors in Gib will screw you in any way possible if you use the Euro. BEFORE buying anything or going into a restaurant, MAKE SURE that they will accept a credit card and will charge you at the appropriate (euro, dollar, etc.) rate. If you spend cash, you will pay a major surcharge, and even if you use Visa, some restaurants will still attempt to charge you extra. Your hotel probably won't be a problem, but avoid paying cash at Burger King -- we paid about $5 for a Coke. For me, this is the best argument for staying in La Linea -- from which you simply walk across the "Line" and take a city bus to the sights.
(3) The taxi tours up to the top are a better value than the funicular, unless you really do want to walk a lot. The funicular argues that it takes you "higher" than the taxi tours -- which is true. but only by about 5 meters. The funicular might seem to be cheaper -- until you get up to the top and have to pay extra for EVERYTHING -- The taxi rides are all-inclusive (although you are on a quicker schedule and may not be able to linger as long as you might like, e.g. the monkeys). Regarding the taxis, though, make sure that you have a full complement of 4 parties; otherwise you will be charged more.
(4) Sundays are DEADLY BORING in Gib, and many restaurants/stores aren'tr open -- and it's tough to round up a group for a tour, esp. in the afternoon.
Pleasantly surprised and glad we worked Gib into our schedule.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Warm welcome awaits you at the Gateway to two continents. The O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel is situated in the heart of Gibraltar's business district and tax free shopping areas. The views are magnificent and offer surprising contrasts that combine the famous Rock, Straits of Gibraltar, North Africa and Southern Spain. Soak up the Mediterranean sun at the Rooftop Pool. The Verandah bar with out door terrace is well know for it's jazz evenings on Thursday night's and live music on Saturday nights. Enjoy a meal in our 8th floor Rooftop Bistro Restaurant, while taking in the magnificent views across the Bay of Gibraltar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Cheap Tickets so you can book your O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- o Callaghan Eliott Hotel
- Eliott Hotel Gibraltar
- o Callaghan Eliott Gibraltar