O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel
$147
$116
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,999 results
All reviewsrooftop restaurantveranda barmain streettop floorjazz nightcentral locationsun terracecable carcentre of townrock viewsmall balconylocation is excellentreception staffthe air conditioningshort breakhotel barbreakfast room
Reviewed July 23, 2014

This was at most a 2* hotel. Terrible quality rooms, rude staff, just generally a mess! I stayed here with a group of friends for 3 nights and we will definitely not be coming back or recommending this to other travellers.

The check in process was terrible. We arrived at 2:30pm (normal check-in time) and the reception manager told us our room was not ready. We were surprised since 2:30pm was the official check-in time. When we questioned this, he was very blunt and said "Actually, check-in time is from 2:30pm onwards, that does not mean you can check in at 2:30pm" That's it, no apology.

When I finally got access to my room, the key card didn't work and I spent 20mns going up and down with broken key cards, eventually the receptionist had to give me the physical key to the room since the key cards would not work.

The room itself was very 'retro' and not in a good way. The A/C unit was very old fashioned and didn't keep the room cool. The carpet had stains on it and the tiles were cracked.

Also:
- The wifi kept coming and going, I had to get a new code from reception every day...it was like a guessing game to see which code would work!
- The pool area was awful, no towels or sun loungers.
- One of the lifts was out of service for more than 24hrs causing major delays getting up and down to the rooms.

The good:
- Some of the waiters were nice and polite
- Water pressure in the shower was excellent
- Breakfast was OK

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank ciaradoaln
Mary K, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Dear Ciaradoaln,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I was very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
I do apologise for the key cards not working for your room, we did have a problem with the card machine. We also had some power cuts across Gibraltar and it left us with some problems with our lift.
We are doing a total refurbishment this year and I am sure your will enjoy the finished product.
We have purchased some more sun loungers for around the pool.
The WI-FI codes are changed each day and I am sorry you were not made aware of this.
I have spoken with my Reception Manager re your check in and I can assure you this is not our normal standard of service.
Ciara, I would like to offer you an upgrade to a suite on your next visit to Gibraltar and to experience our professional service.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

After reading such good reviews on this hotel and looking at the photos both myself and my wife looked forward to spending 6 nights here...How wrong we were..In uk i would rate this at very best a 2 star..rooms look and feel very run down..cracked tiles in bathroom..the pictures of the roof top pool are very misleading as pool is only about 10m if that and with only about 10 loungers thst are reserved by people leaving towels on them leaving nothing to stay in the hotel for...the electronic room cards are a standing joke with everyone we spoke to could spend over 10mins trying to get in yr room. During the 5 power cuts we had in the week we stayed the ONLY way to get from any floors is via a back staircase that has ladders, boxes and lots of other items stacked in it..supposed to be kept clear as a so called fire escape! The wifi is also very hit and miss. There are much better hotels. Also be aware it us not mentioned but if you have mobility problems thus hotel is in an elevated position and you have to walk up some steep roads and paths to get to it.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Philljonrs
Mary K, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Dear Philljonrs,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
I do apologise for the power cuts, but it was totally out of our control as it was the whole of Gibraltar and a problem at the generating station.
Also when we have a power cut we cannot programme the door key cards and again I am sorry you had problems with them.
You are correct we do not have enough sun loungers by the pool, and we have now bought some more.
I was shocked at your comment re our emergency stair ways as they are clear at all times.
We are doing a total refurbishment this year and I think you will enjoy the finished product.
I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again to stay with us and I would like to offer you an upgrade to a suite on your return visit.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Excellent location for this hotel. Standard of accommodation also befits its rating. Level of service sometimes lets it down, although maybe this is as a result of the more relaxed attitude taken to life in Gibraltar.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Dear Wickford Traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Thank you for your comments which we really appreciate.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

I was recommended this hotel by a friend who stays in Gibraltar regularly, good choice! My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our week here. I tried to e-mail a request for a sea facing room, that didn't appear to have worked, but luckily on asking at reception for a high up sea facing room we got 603, pretty fine it was too. the view is very special and there's lots to see happening out on the water, lots of ships moored, and coming and going. It is a little noisy but real noise like ships horns when it is foggy, not party noise. I liked the hotel, clean and quite smart, the rooms are great, big enough for a week and well serviced on a daily basis. Breakfast is great, huge choice of whatever you could want, and when the weather is nice you can sit by the pool, very lovely. We didn't eat any other meals in the hotel or use the main bar. The pool side bar is good, although it wasn't open every day, prices are, I thought, very reasonable, pool towels are available either at the pool bar or at reception. All of the staff that we came across were friendly and efficient and all were happy to pass the time of day, the pool bar staff were great, happy to bring drinks to the table. The hotel is very well situated, a ten minute stroll to Casemates Square and a little bit further to the cable car, it's just minutes from a big selection of bars and cafes. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anybody travelling to Gibraltar for a holiday.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms are great, as mentioned in other reviews, they do get hot, but well worth it, the air conditioning will soon sort it out.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ian B

Ian B,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review.
I was delighted to read that you had a great stay with us.
thank you for all your lovely comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

Turned up for lunch in the bar burgers and sandwich for group of four Waiter took order one of the group ordered a burger specifically without mayo.It took them an age to get the food to the table and all the burgers had mayo which was incorrect .Waiter took the offending burger away and said it would be sorted .It never was and we complained. The staff appeared to give not a blind fig and seemingly could not communicate with each other .Best bet is go somewhere else for bar snacks .

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Tim H,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I do apologise for the less than satisfactory service you received when you arrived for lunch on our Veranda Terrace. I can assure you that is not our normal standard of service. We are training new bar staff at the moment and I will certainly be going through your review with my Food and Beverage Manager.
Tim, I would like to offer you an upgrade to a suite on your return visit to Gibraltar.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.