“Central location”

O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Gibraltar
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

I turned up at this hot at 12:30 to be told that booking in time is at 2pm which in my case became 3pm, however that said Buchra in reception was excellent and very apologetic for the delay. Eventually she assigned me a different room as I had been travelling since 2:30am and seriously needed a shower and some sleep. My room, on the 5th floor, overlooking the rock was excellent. Quick shower then snooze and off to a business meeting. The veranda bar is a lovely area to relax and have a drink before bed. Breakfast was excellent. In the evening I had dinner in the rooftop terrace, to be perfectly honest there are better places to eat in Gibraltar, food was ok, service was dreadful, one couple got another couples order and I sat without a drink or acknowledgement for probably 20 minute, observing the carnage around me. I only had dinner once in the rooftop terrace as the first night seriously put me off, so it may have been "an off night" for the restaurant. The hotel itself has excellent wifi (although it costs), a lovely swimming pool on the roof and exceptional views. I definitely recommend staying here, but eat in town.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank g30fftodd
Mary K, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Dear G30fftodd,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I do apologise for the less than satisfactory service you received during your stay with us.
I can assure you that is not our normal standard of service and I do hope on your return you will experience our customer service, which we strive to maintain.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

With kind regards, Mary

Write a ReviewReviews (1,929)

Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Had a good stay at the Elliott this time. Vastly improved since my last time here a few months ago. Tried the other hotels in Gibraltar and none compare to this.

Is it me or have they vastly improved their service, food, rooms and accommodation recently? Suitably impressed and will definitely come back again.

One small gripe - the walls between rooms are very thin and one can hear everything the neighbor says :-)

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank thinchef
Mary K, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Dear Thinchef,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and noticed our improvements.
My team here will be really happy to hear your comments.
I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Stayed here with 2 friends for a mid-week stay in Oct / Nov 2013.

From some initial research of hotels in Gibraltar, there isn't a huge amount of choice, so as our holiday criteria was a good value hotel in the sun, we went with this one as it was in the best location and had the best TripAdvisor reviews. We booked via MyGibraltar as it included transfers and flights, but they were only able to book us double rooms - a quick call to the hotel meant we were able to change one of the rooms to a twin, which was great.

We had an included transfer to the hotel from the airport but Gibraltar is only 2.5 sq miles so a taxi or even walking are possibilities. The transfer with Blands took about 15 minutes in a minibus - it's not the most direct route due to the old town's narrow streets and one way system but this meant we saw more of Gibraltar and the driver pointed out some sights on the way.

We did have to queue for a few minutes to check-in - there was only one person on reception but Lynn got us checked in quickly. We arrived at 11.30ish and although check-in isn't until 2pm, Lynn checked with the cleaners and our rooms were ready; guess this is probably standard given the limited number of flights into Gibraltar but even so, it was appreciated. The lobby is spacious and had a few seats if you do need to wait. There's a concierge table with some information on too.

We were given one room on the 1st floor and one on the 5th as the hotel was apparently full - this wasn't too much of an issue though. There are two lifts, which were pretty quick and (for one of our group who's claustrophobic) there are 2 emergency stairwells, although these are a bit dated and tired. The internal corridors looked okay and were all clean.

Our rooms matched our expectations as well as the pictures on the website. They were a very good size and although we'd just come with hand luggage, there was plenty of space for larger cases. The room itself had a good sized desk, flat screen TV (with British channels although a sometimes fuzzy picture), tea & coffee making facilities, table and chairs and plenty of wardrobe space and hangers. There's also a free to use safe for your valuables and an iron & board in the wardrobe. Our room also had a balcony, although as you'll see from the pictures, we didn't have any sort of view but this didn't matter to us - we hadn't paid for a sea view and the 5th floor room had a view of the Rock. All the bedlinen was spotless and the rooms were very clean.

We didn't hear any noise from adjacent rooms during our stay - only a bit of noise when the balcony door was open from the live music night at the bar, but it was on the other side of the hotel. The beds were very comfy - the mattresses seemed new so we all slept really well.

As Morten B mentions below, the bathroom light switch is in the middle of 3 switches by the door - not the best location really! The bathroom fittings were new and all very clean. Didn't have any issues with water pressure or temperature at all. There were a couple of toiletries supplied and the towels were all spotless.

Worth mentioning that one of the lights had gone by the door in one of our rooms - we hadn't even noticed or reported it, but a maintenance man came to put in a new bulb, so they do act on reported faults.

We had breakfast included - this is in the roof-top restaurant. It isn't the biggest in the world but we never had to queue for a table, although it's probably worse during the peak summer period. Breakfast consisted of full English (bacon, sausage, tomato, beans, mushrooms and scrambled egg), pastries (pain au choclat etc.), fruit salad (grapefruit, oranges etc.), yoghurts, cereals & milk, whole fruit and bread to toast with Marmite, butter or jam. You could also ask for poached or fried eggs on request, which I preferred over the scrambled egg on offer (just personal choice). Drinks-wise, there was coffee, tea, orange, apple or grapefruit juices.

The restaurant is adjacent to the pool and they do make some tables up out there for breakfast - watch out for the seagulls! The pool isn't heated and it wasn't quite warm enough for us given the time of year but a couple of kids were brave enough to use it. There's a small bar by the pool, which wasn't open but again, it was slightly out of season. The small gym is also located next to the pool too - can't comment as we didn't look at it. There's also a roof-terrace with sun-loungers above the restaurant - this does have some shade but also gets the sun and offers great views of the sea.

Location-wise, the hotel is ideal as you're one street behind the main street. Head right, then right again from the hotel entrance and you're there in 30 seconds. Turn right down the main shopping street and you'll reach Casemates Square in 10-15 mins walk depending on speed / time of day as it gets busy. Lynn on reception was really helpful with all of our tourist queries and told us to turn left on the main street to head to the taxi tours - again literally 1 minute's walk.

As others have said, the hotel charges for wi-fi so we used free wi-fi in restaurants & cafes around town. Check-out was quick and we were able to leave our luggage at the hotel until our transfer later in the day.

Overall, I'd highly recommend this hotel - for our needs, it was exactly as we'd expected, is in a brilliant location and provided great value and service.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TheLush101

The Lush 101,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
It was a pleasure having you stay with us.
Thank you for all your lovely comments which my team here will be delighted to hear.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We booked a one night stay as we were attending a friend's wedding. The hotel staff were very friendly and the room itself was clean and spacious. The bathroom was spotless, which is a big plus from me! We were however given a room on the first floor which was extremely noisy. Guests banging doors, a family of elephants in the room above etc. etc. Our friends had a room on the 6th floor which was a lot quieter. Not quite sure how a 4* hotel could do this, but they apparently ran out of gas. We had planned to have a pre-wedding meal at 8th floor restaurant but were turned away. On the plus side I would recommend the Waterside Restauarant approx 12mins walk away by the port. We would have liked to add an extra night but the hotel wanted £189!!

Room Tip: Do not accept rooms on lower levels
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Mary K, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear Caroline Watson 2013,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I do apologise for you not being able to eat in the the restaurant, we had a problem with our gas cooker and we had to move to our down stairs kitchen half way through the evening.
I would like to offer you a meal for two in our restaurant on your return visit to Gibraltar.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Located 5 min walk from basically everything in Gibraltar town, the Eliott offers the best location in town. Rooms are clear, nice but after many years in use they are becoming "tired". Fans in the toilet being one eaxmple. Funny that the switch to the toilets are located next to the front door, down a small dark "corridor". Night vision needed.
Best view for breakfast and the pool is a plus. Gyn is basic, so take a run in the streets instead.

Room Tip: Ask for seaview, otherwise you face the parking lot
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Morten B,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Thank you for your feedback, which we always appreciate.
We hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Just back from a few days staying at this ideally located hotel in the very heart of Gibraltar town. Good sized room with all mod cons-clean & comfortable. Staff very friendly with service and a smile. Rooftop restaurant overlooking the bay for all you can eat buffet breakfast and in the evening, a very reasonably priced menu for extremely good food and amazing views. Would definitely come back again and preferably for a few more days-a long weekend was good but 5 or more days in the beautiful sunshine in November would be better! NB/Weather has been exceptional for time of year, not warm enough for swimming in the charming rooftop pool but pleasant enough to sun yourself and come home with a very healthy glow.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor overlooking the pretty little square, looking up to the Rock so able to c...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Andrea A,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Having stayed at The Eliott several times already this year , I was certainly looking forward to returning
Everything about the visit was excellent , from the initial contact with Gerald and Lynn in the reservation department , a busy time at the moment on The Rock , yet arrangements for myself and colleagues were dealt with very efficiently
All the front desk staff are helpful always smiling and nothing is too much trouble , I am not great with names , but Bruno always dealt with my requests or questions , Lynn escaping from her reservations role always happy to help ,
I was fortunate to be on the 6th floor , and the housekeeper on this floor soon realised that I liked my cups of tea and after day one always left me extra milk and teabags , a really nice touch
The rooms are clean and beds so comfy
A varied breakfast enjoyed in what must be the best eating location in any Hotel on The Rock , 8 floors up overlooking The Bay , with efficient and friendly staff here also to look after your every breakfast requirement
With all the other good features about the Hotel nearly forgot probably the best , its location so close to Main Street and all its attractions
Definitely THE place to stay in Gibraltar
All the staff are a credit to Mary Finch the General Manager

Thank you for looking after me , and I am looking forward to returning soon

Room Tip: A room on the upper floors , facing the Bay , although the view from the other side of the building...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Wayne G
Mary K, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Wayne G,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
It was a pleasure having you stay with us and thank you for all your lovely comments.
Yes I do have a great team here and I will pass on your comments to them.

We look forward to your return very soon.

With kind regards, Mary

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gibraltar
Rock Hotel Gibraltar
Ohtels Campo de Gibraltar
Ohtels Campo de Gibraltar
#2 of 5 in La Linea de la Concepcion
Holiday Inn Express Campo de Gibraltar - Barrios

Been to O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel? Share your experiences!