“Nice hotel, perhaps in need of updating” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel

O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Gibraltar
London, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel, perhaps in need of updating”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

It's is probably one of the best hotels on the island for business use but this could be due to there not being that much to choose from. My room was clean, the bed comfy and the staff friendly. It seemed dated to me and could be so much better if the rooms were modernised more. Decor is very dated ESP the bathroom but it is not unpleasant. It would be worth investing some money and the hotel would be great.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Kelly F
Mary K, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Kelly F,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Thank you for your comments, which we always appreciate.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

With kind regards, Mary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

from check in to departure, the staff could not have been more helpful.

A lovely room with excellent views, a good variety of bar meals eaten on the terrace made for an enjoyable stay.

will be returning to this delightful hotel

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Mazdavi
Mary K, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Mazdavi,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I was delighted to read that you had a lovely stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Cheshire, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

This Hotel is almost good, almost worth a second visit, almost clean, has almost good service and is almost reasonable value.

The bathroom had smeary surfaces, the grout between the tiles was discoloured and the cleaner obviously couldn't reach too high up the carpet needed vacuuming, I found what appeared to be dead skin on the floor.

For a European hotel in 2013 to charge exorbitant charges for internet access is a bit over the top, if the Eliot management could get away with it they'd install coin operated water meters in the bathrooms.

The breakfast was without a doubt the worst I have ever tried to eat in any hotel of any class I have ever stayed in, my suggestion for a first step to improve the breakfasts would be to stop serving it altogether, budget sausages, scrambled eggs I couldn't even face trying, bacon that was tasteless, overcooked and could have been deep fried cardboard, baked beans that taught me the true meaning of the word congealed, the mushrooms were nice.

The pool area is a little tired, like most of the hotel but the woman working the pool bar was helpful, pleasant and efficient and served a bar meal of fish and chips which was edible even if spoilt by a couple of pieces of bruised and brown lettuce as part of the salad garnish.

The rest of the staff whilst being effusive seemed unempowered to actually do anything to help, the pre-authorisation on my card hasn't been cleared 4 days after checking out.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere. Gibraltar isn't great on hotels but in the others I've stayed in, you get wh...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank JCG591
Dear JCG591,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
I do apologise for the less than satisfactory service you received during your stay with us.
I will be discussing your feed back with all my management team.
We here at the O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel strive to provide an excellent service for our customers and it is very disappointing when we read otherwise.
Please contact me on your next visit to Gibraltar and I will upgrade you to one of our suites.

Antibes, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I cant see why anyone has a bad word to say, I would recommend this to anyone who is staying in Gibraltar. I found the staff really friendly (Especially a very charming young lady named Laura) The central location excellent, very close to the town, restaurants, bars and shops. Room service was always quick and we were impressed by the standard of the cleaning
I had a junior suite facing the rock - very recommendable - with a good view. Room was quite large and had a good king size bed. We used the swimming pool several times a day and dined in the restaurant in evening for barbecue - both great experiences - Watching the sun down at roof top restaurant is a must . All together a very good experience to stay at the Elliot for both children and adults

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank DublinIrish1980
Dear DublinIrish1980,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Thank you also for all your lovely comments which we really appreciate.
I will pass on your comments to Laura, who will be delighted to hear that she helped in making your stay a good one.
We hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back really soon.

Solihull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I think this hotel is kind of indicative of the rest of Gibraltar. It walks a fine line between charmingly un-modern and just plain dated. I have it on some authority that this is probably the only hotel on Gib worth staying at, which surprises me as it's OK but not great. My room needed modernising, and in some areas, fixing. As with many tired hotel rooms, the AC unit either didn't work or made a loud noise, rendering it impossible to use at night whilst trying to sleep. The bed was fine, though the pillows were a little cheap-feeling. The bathroom was OK and the shower itself was fine but the shower door just needed replacing really. Breakfast was fine without being memorable, although there was considerable confusion when I asked for a cappuccino. I suspect things go at a somewhat slower pace on Gib than elsewhere, and this is probably true of the hotel modernisation cycle! If you're going to Gib this is probably the place to stay but manage your expectations.

Room Tip: The AC unit in room 400 makes a loud noise!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Mat-Ingram
Dear Mat-Ingram,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Thank you for all your feed back, which I always appreciate and I will be discussing it with my team here.
I do apologise for the air conditioning being noisy, a concern I will discuss with my maintenance team.
I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Portsmouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed with my son - couldn't really fault the hotel and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

I really liked the fact that the rooms have a personal safe in them - hairdryer - tea and coffee - trouser press and iron + ironing board all included as well.

Great views from the roof but the pool is a little tricky as it slopes from 0.5m to 2.5m in a very short distance so children have to be closely supervised if they can't swim well

My only suggestion would be to put a cartoon channel on the in-house TV system for the little ones.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank WBA_1010
Dear WBA_1010,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am delighted to read how you enjoyed your stay with us.
I will look at getting a cartoon channel on our TV's.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Kinda run-down Howard Johnson's type place. Slim on personnel/service so Karen at the front desk offered to wheel out the trolly for us since there was no one there to help with luggage. Her exceptional friendliness made for a very pleasant stay. Gibraltar is a very unique place, with all the houses and people crammed into a small area at the foot of the steep mountain. Very narrow winding streets with one thoroughfare lined with tourist-trap stores. The tour of The Rock is a must. We took a taxi from the main square with a driver that was very knowledgeable about the history and nature of the place ( about 80 British Lbs). He even had a personal relationship with one of the monkeys on the rock that seemed very excited to see him! Very friendly place.

Room Tip: try to get a room facing the water rather than facing the mountain where you can see into peoples ho...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank margeauxmiz
Dear Margeauxmiz,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am delighted to read that Karen was so helpful to you during your stay with us.
I will pass on your comments to her.
We do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again very soon.

With kind regards, Mary
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gibraltar
Sunborn Gibraltar
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,073 reviews
AC Hotel La Linea
AC Hotel La Linea
#1 of 5 in La Linea de la Concepcion

Been to O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel? Share your experiences!