“Mixed bag”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Gibraltar
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Mixed bag”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I've stayed in the O'Callagham for 6 weeks in 4 trips over the last year. It many ways it is really very very good, the cleaning staff consistently leave the rooms immaculate. The waiting staff and breakfasts are great and evening meals are good but lack variety; you will find yourself eating out many nights after the first week. The location is fine in the centre of Gib and it certainly has some character.

However it is let down by few things, the TV never seem to work correctly, the lower floors can be noisy and water pressure in the shower is variable. The big problem for me personally is the charges for WiFi internet; these are frankly extortionate in this day and age where this service is typically inclusive by European Hotel standards (even fairly typical for Gibraltar).

Room Tip: Facing the rock west for peace and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Mary K, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Working Expat,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Thank you for all your comments, which we always appreciate as it does help us provide a better service to our customers. I do apologise for the water problem, we have just finished a major plumbing works throughout the hotel. We have also employed a new Head Chef and we now have a great new menu in our Rooftop Restaurant which I am sure you will enjoy on your next visit to us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

With kind regards, Mary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (575)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I've stayed at the Elliott quite a few times over the last three years. Its a nice stay, and there are not many hotel options in Gib, but not like it used to be.

Internet access is expensive when most hotels are delivering free access - £ 12 per day is excessive. The water system has seen better days and the pressure is poor, run around in that shower to get wet. Reception lacks the smiling faces it used to have and the nice touches of welcoming you back. Look out and check your reservation twice - and again.

However the view from the breakfast room is stunning, the waiters (who have been there an age) are helpful, polite and will do their utmost to get you what you want. Even if its not on the menu.

Its grown to be expensive for what it is and that special touch as a regular has gone. Perhaps that's the way with things - which is unusual for Gib. Next visit I'll try another hotel - just to see.

Room Tip: If you do go, ask for a sea view room - they are normally not an additional price. However, make sur...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Chris O,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I was really sad to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the water problem, we have just finished a major plumbing works throughout the hotel and we have had a few problems with the water pressure.
I do appreciate you are a regular guest and I am sorry you did not get the welcome back that you should have received, we do have some new staff on reception and I hope on your next visit they will give you a good welcome back.
Please email me directly the dates you are visiting again and I will upgrade you to one of our suites.
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

4 of us arrived by car late afternoon our friends were given their room on 6th floor to find it like a bomb had hit it, it was not cleaned !
Bedding was stale, duvet and pillows uncomfortable, the room was a fair size but overall I do not know how this hotel is rated Nr 2
Staff made up for the overpriced and tired hotel by being extremely friendly

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Supernani,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I am investigating your comments with my housekeeper. I do apologise for your room not being ready when you checked in.
I would like to offer you an upgrade to one of our suites on your next visit to Gibraltar.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Manchester
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed at this hotel from Friday 22 March until Monday 25 March 2013 and would not hesitate in recommending this hotel either for business or pleasure. The staff are extremely friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The rooms have everything you could possibly want and the bathrooms are spacious. The rooms have an iron and ironing board, trouser press, safe, tea and coffee making facilities, TV and Internet. There is plenty of draw and hanging space and the beds are very comfortable. The breakfast buffet is amazing as is the al a carte restaurant (the fillet steak was one of the best). Gibraltar is a lovely place to visit, especially the Ocean Village Marina with its numerous bars, cafes, shops and casino.

Room Tip: High floor room for a better of the stunning Rock of Gibraltar.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mellonie,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, I will pass on all your lovely comment to my team.

We look forward to welcoming you back again really soon.

Virginia Water, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Following a one night stay at the “O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel” in Gibraltar, all I can say is: “O’ no, never again!”

Confused as to why hotels in Gibraltar generally seem to be overpriced.

The O’ Callaghan for instance was £130 a night with no breakfast included.
Breakfast was additional £14pp, which we declined, rather to enjoy a Full English down the street at Copacabana for a fraction of that price.

In comparison, similar standard hotels in the UK cost half that price, not to mention hotels across the border in Spain would have been around €80.

AC was noisy and smelly so we didn’t use it.
Room was clean with view of The Rock, but bathroom needed refurbishment.
Hotel really looks tired!

To crown it all, on departure Bachra the hotel receptionist not once made eye contact with us, literally lobbing the card machine hard across the counter towards me so I could put my credit card pin in.
We just stood there flabbergasted in total disbelief at the unprofessional customer service.

In hindsight, we should have rather done a day trip to Gibraltar which would have been sufficient time to enjoy all that we planned to see…

Does this hotel's management/staff realize how important tourism is...?

Room Tip: Good luck finding a good room,,,
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary K, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Kev1409,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I do apologise for Bouchra not giving you the service we strive to give all our customers who stay with us here at the O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel. I was surprised to read your comment as she is normally very good with clients. Please accept my sincere apologies for her behaviour during your stay with us. Customer service is very important to us and we do take your feedback very serious, as it is our tool to improve our customer service to all our clients.
I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again, and I will include our full English breakfast in your rate for your future stay with us.

London
Reviewed April 17, 2013

First the good news:

- Nice suites with terrific views

- Very friendly staff

- Nice sun deck with great views over Bay of Gibraltar and onto Morocco and Spain

- Nice breakfast

- Very good housekeeping

Now the not-so-good news:

- Hotel needs a facelift. Now.

- No porter / bellboy. The poor manager helped us with our luggage herself. Very noble, but come on, how much can it cost to have a bellboy to help families with loads of luggage?!

The impression is this is a fundamentally solid property with a good staff who work hard and are very nice. But clearly in need of some significant investment in the property and number of staff. So message to the owners is: Spend some money and you will make this hotel much better!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Markieboyrulesok,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Thank you for all your feedback which we really appreciate and will be discussing at our next Management meeting.
I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon to the O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel.

Rotherham, England
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This hotel is in need of some serious refurbishment work.

The main bedroom was okay whereas my bathroom was seriously worn with several areas with mould, cracked mirror and tile. I am sure that it was very nice 10-15 years ago but needs some work now I'm afraid.

Both lifts were not working for a couple of days (and breakfast is served on the 8th floor! - I real issue for elderly guests of which there were many). To be fair, the £15 breakfast was not worth the climb anyway.

I ate lunch in the patio bat downstairs and was not impressed and do not pay the £12 per night parking as there is free parking 10mins walk away at the cable car depot.

Looking around the other hotels in Gib then I think that this is still probably the best given its location but they should spend some of the £140 a night rate on refurbishment.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Mary K, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Shrubberyuk,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us and I do apologise for the lifts not working, we did have a problem with the electrics. Thank you for all your comments, which we appreciate as it helps us to provide a better service to our customers. I will be discussing them at our next Management meeting.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

With kind regards, Mary
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gibraltar
Sunborn Gibraltar
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,109 reviews
AC Hotel La Linea
AC Hotel La Linea
#1 of 5 in La Linea de la Concepcion

Been to O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel? Share your experiences!