“Nice hotel”

O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Gibraltar
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Only a quick visit but well situated hotel with plenty of information of things to see & do around gibraltar! The continental breakfast was nice & staff are accomodating to vegitarian travellers! Although we hired a car it wasnt needed as we walked up the rock but it is very tiresome, but altho there are tours to go up i wouldnt waste my money its a beautiful very western place where i will be returning!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Smiler2boys
Mary K, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear Smiler 2 Boys,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, and I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

With kind regards, Mary

Write a ReviewReviews (1,928)

Reviewed December 31, 2012

My wife and I booked this five night stay through mygibraltar.co.uk. The inclusive pickup from the airport to the hotel was punctual and friendly. The hotel's position could not be more convienient for shopping. The front of the hotel is facing the Rock and so was our room with pleasantly green views. Room itself was clean if a little tired looking. Hotel staff were always helpfull and obliging. Christmas dinner was an amazing selection of dishes including fresh strawberries dipped in chocolate (had two). Unfortunately there was not enough turkey for all the guests and no traditional gravy. The few meals we had in the hotel were always of good standard.

Room Tip: Rooms above second floor would have better views to the Rock.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mary K, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear Dieter_h_k,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Yes the turkey was very popular, so we will be better prepared next year.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

The bar is good and the restaurant worth staying in for - but there are so many good cafes and restaurants nearby you'd want to sample them. It's a very good location, just a walk away from most of what you'd want to see and do. Staff are welcoming and efficient. Nothing "seedy". "soiled" or "snarcky" (whatever that is!)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank PT167
Mary K, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Dear PT167,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review,
We are glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for your lovely comments.
We appreciate all feedback from our customers.
I would like to wish you a very Happy New Year and we look forward to welcoming you back in 2013.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

A trip to Gibraltar is a very interesting experience and you should go if you are nearby; however, do not spend the night if this is the best hotel. I asked to be moved to another room after finding that our first room actually had soiled sheets. This hotel is seedy, soiled, and the manager is snarcky. The breakfast is expensive and tasteless and really can they not find anything better than old plastic tupperware to set up the buffet! Come on! Join the world! This could be great with a little attention.

3  Thank seetheworld2525

Dear Seatheworld2525,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us and really shocked to read your description of the hotel. Our housekeeping has always been of a very high standard, which is why I am surprised by your comments. I would like to discuss this further by a private message.
I would like to wish you a happy New Year and we would welcome the opportunity of welcoming you back in 2013.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Very good hotel located brilliantly in Gibraltar. Ease of access to all parts with good amenities within the hotel inc swimming pool. Great offers from www.mygibraltar.co.uk. I got 7 nights for the price of 5...they seem like the number one operator to the city...good offers and a simple to use website.

Room Tip: get a higher floor for views of the city

Dear BobKJi,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
We are glad to read you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon again.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

I stayed here for two nights on business.
Clean hotel with good facilities. Room very clean, although some coloured spots around the edge on the mirror.
Most hotels I have stayed in offer free WiFi, which is not the case here, and it is quite expensive to buy too, so that could be improved on.
I was awoken twice on the first night by the fire alarm in the early hours, only for it to go off after about ten seconds, no one left the hotel. In the morning I was told it was someone having a shower with the bathroom door open, strange as I didn't set of the alarm in the morning when I had a shower....?
Gibraltar enjoys very low tax on Alcohol, but I found the bar to be quite expensive considering.
£4.00 for a Red Wine.
Restaurant breakfast was good, as was the fillet steak I had for Dinner. Restaurant has Panoramic views, although the windows were steamed up on all three occasions I ate in the restaurant.
On the whole a good hotel, close to the Main Street, and where all the shops are.
Staff are polite enough, more than some hotels I have been in, and they did find some complimentary toothpaste when I ran out!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Spongeandcustard

Dear Spongeand custard,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review,
I am glad to read you enjoyed your stay with us and I do apologise for the alarm going off, yes it can be set off by steam if the bathroom door is left open.
I would like to wish you a happy New Year and we look forward to welcoming you back in 2013.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Had a long weekend here with a group of friends in December. I had booked 6 rooms.
The location of the hotel is excellent, a few steps from the main street right in the heart of the town. A very ordinary reception desk with a few seats is your introduction to the hotel. Check in was ok if not particularly friendly, especially as it is Irish owned & it seems staffed I expected the usual very friendly welcome that is customary in Ireland?
Next to the reception is a reasonably sized bar area with some seats on a patio also available outside. The staff here were good, the barman bringing drinks to us when necessary as it was difficult for him to keep up with us ordering for 12 each round.
The rooms were of a decent size with a table & a couple of chairs a tiny balcony & an adequate bathroom.
So what was so terrible? We were there on a Friday & Saturday night in December - Christmas party time. Both nights the hotel had parties. Very very loud bass music was very audible in the rooms & it went on until 1-30am! The bass from the dance music works it way via the lift shafts I think as it didn't seem to matter if the party was in the basement (1st night) or the rooftop (2nd night) When I complained on behalf of my party about the noise the next morning the receptionists attitude was " I wasn't working last night" I eventually got to speak to the duty manager who didn't offer anything except that if it bothered us again we could change rooms.
Overall stay somewhere else if you want to actually sleep in your hotel.

Room Tip: A further issue was the rooms next to the lift have a very loud ping going off every time a lift arr...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 34769pete

Dear Northampton,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, and thank you for your constructive comments which we have taken on board.
I would like to wish you a very happy New Year and we look forward to welcoming you back again in 2013.

With kind regards, Mary

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gibraltar
Rock Hotel Gibraltar
Ohtels Campo de Gibraltar
Ohtels Campo de Gibraltar
#2 of 5 in La Linea de la Concepcion
Holiday Inn Express Campo de Gibraltar - Barrios

Been to O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel? Share your experiences!