“Ok, not brilliant.”

O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Gibraltar
Reviewed October 19, 2012

WIFI chargeable (pricey - I mean, who pays that?), limited TV channels, mediocre service and average food quality. I was disappointed particularly with the customer service and food. There were pubic hairs on the bathroom floor when I arrived, they changed my towels every day even though I hung them up and they didn't need changing.1st night I had John Dory which was too garlicky and swimming in butter then the next night tuna steak which was too garlicky (I normally love garlic). Breakfast was standard self-service hotel breakfast but coffee was weak and not worth having if you're a coffee lover. Main thing going for this hotel is availability and location. The roof top pool and terrace as well as restaurant have great panoramic views.

Room Tip: 604 or any floor 04 is opposite the lift so it makes a doorbell-type sound every time the lift stops...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
mary_kinch, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Monicacurls,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Please accept my apologies for the TV stations,which we are currently looking at.
I am sorry our house keeping was not as efficient as it should be and I will be reviewing this with our housekeeper.
We serve coffee in small coffe pots fresh for each table and I am sorry you did not enjoy yours, we will have a look at our coffee making.
Monicacurls, I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel very soon.
With kind regards, Mary

Write a ReviewReviews (1,940)

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed at the Eliot for a couple of days whilst in Gibraltar on a business trip. The Eliot is well positioned just off main street and pretty much like everywhere in Gib it's walking distance to most places. It's in the heart of old Gibraltar so the hotel is traditional in looks and sits in front of a lovely tree filled plaza gazing up at the Rock.

The hotel is clean all round apart the reception desk which as your first look whilst standing there could do with a paint job but once you get into the lobby, bar, and most importantly the rooms, it's clean tidy, well maintained and spacious. Rooms are large and comfortable and all the usual conveniences with nothing really lacking.

Ideal for a business trip where you need comfort, access etc. would you want to stay there on a weeks holiday, probably not, you wouldn't have enough to do to stay in around the hotel/pool and to be fair I don't think it's designed for that.

Staff were very helpful, food and drink was very good. The wifi is a bit funny. It reads like you can stop start the timer on what you buy which it lets you do but when ever you go back it's run out. I did £30 in a two days but probably could have done £10 if it actually stop/started. My 3g on the iphone didn't work out and about at all on Gibtelecom so this was my only real annoyance.

Would definitely recommend this hotel though.

Room Tip: The higher the better for views of the rock and town.

Dear Mr. Chrlyd,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, and thank you for all you feedback.
I am sorry your iphone did not work while you were staying with us.
We are looking at this at the moment with Gibtelcom.

Mr. Chrlyd, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

With kind regards, Mary

Reviewed October 17, 2012

After reviewing Trip Advisor we decided to stay at the Elliot hotel, I have to say that I was disappointed. With the exception of one of the night reception staff we found all the others to be incredibly unhelpful.

I do not expect much from a hotel - a clean room and friendly / welcoming staff. The room, was for the most part clean, but don't look too closely. We were a little surprised that our room had not been done by 2pm the first day, and even more surprised the next day when I think it was after three, we later discovered that despite their statement of adherence to the Environmental ISO standard, they must have changed our towels as were only left one that day. When we called the front desk this morning to request a second towel we were told not until house keeping started their shift, not that helpful, but fair enough, - but we are still waiting as I sit back in the UK!

Breakfast was good, although the waiters seem rather over whelmed and not very good at getting the tables cleaned and re-set, but the selection was good.

The dinner menu seemed to be the same each night, and compared to other restaurants rather expensive and dull, so we went elsewhere. Marina Bay had lots of good restaurants (about a 10 minute walk) and the Morroccan just by the hotel was fantastic!!

Our overall feeling was not again and on leaving we were asked by another guest where we got the taxi, we said the front desk and her response was to the effect that they were rather unhelpful and slow, which was certainly our experience, she also muttered something sarcastic about the rating, so I am guessing she had not had a very delightful stay either.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
mary_kinch, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear Emma N,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, and thank you for your comments.
We really do appreciate all our customer feedback.
We really do hope you will stay with us again when you next visit Gibraltar.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed at the Elliot last week based on a recommendation from a colleague. I was very disappointed with the whole experience. Firstly as a business traveller there was no free wifi provided. Every time i wanted to check my emails I would have to pay 5 pounds for 2 hours. Thinking I could have the 2 hours for the day if I logged out and logged in again, the time was calculated from the time you paid for the service. I spent alot of money on this.

The receptionist was rude and abrupt when I questioned how I could get internet and print off documents. Certainly not a friendly service.

Every evening, I had issues with how thin the walls were. A guest staying next door had a sleep disorder and I was kept awake most nights with the loud snoring. It was awful.

I would not want to stay here....
On my last day, the breakfast area was very busy, i had requested for some tea and had mentioned i was sitting outside near the gym. I had eaten my breakfast within 20mins and still I had no tea. The service was very slow and poor.

1  Thank gibchica

Dear Gibchica,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review , I am really sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. I am really surprised to hear our Receptionist was rude as we pride ourselves on our customer service, and I do apologize if you had a bad experience with our service.
We really do hope you will return to stay with us on your next visit to Gibraltar.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We booked this hotel based on my partners recommendation as he had stayed there before, and it was the last part of our trip before flying back to the UK.

We were not disappointed at all the reception staff were excellent and very friendly, it was a bit funny speaking English after a week of speaking Spanish but the staff spoke both so it was ok when we slipped into spanish a few times.

One of the reception staff remembered my partner had stayed before and how he had been keeping. We were surprised by this as they get lots of visitors so remembering someone is very good of them

They explained where everything was what time the restaurant opened and also told us about the leisure facilities that they have on site. We were then told what our room number was, upon arriving at our room we discovered that we had been given an upgrade from a standard room to a junior suite, which we were both surprised about and thanked reception for doing it.

On site facilities are:

Bar and lounge area
Restaurant
Swimming Pool
Sun Terrace
Gym

It also has a great view of the rock from the roof top swimming pool, it certainly lives up to its 4 Star rating. If you want a good hotel in Gibraltar then this is where you should stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Dr_Adidas 01,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, and thank you for your lovely comments.
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back shortly.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

After reading a few negative reviews I was extremely surprised at just how lovely the hotel was. I travelled with a friend for a long weekend leisure break and the location of the hotel is perfect right in the heart of the town and just a few steps away from everything.

Rooms are very spacious, clean and have a lovely bathroom with superb shower. We stayed on Room Only basis which was fine as a little walk to the main square in the morning to have breakfast in one of the lovely restaurants whilst watching the world go by was perfect.

The roof top terrace and pool was well kept and with the wonderful sunshine a lovely addition for the hotel with good views over Gibraltar.

Bar area was nice, however I cannot comment on the food as did not eat there. For us the idea of a weekend break is to see as many lovely local places as possible as so would not use the hotels restaurants.

Many people compare this to The Rock and after seeing that hotel and where it is located, whilts it may be better for business purpose, I would definatly go back to this hotel for the location, comfort and for the price it was a very good standard hotel.

Recpetion staff were very polite and helpful however if I had to have any slight niggle with the hotel it would be that having just one person behid reception at anyone time is rather anoying when there are a few people waiting to either check-in or out and ask a question. They should have other staff that can easily be called upon when front desk becomes busy.

Would recommend this hotel and go back if visting Gibraltar

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms have better views.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Travel_happy 22,

We appreciate all feedback from our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I must revise my previous rating and comments about this hotel, due to several factors:

1. Car parking for guests is no longer free and is charged at £10 per day, assuming there is space in the privately operated car parking area.
2. Both wifi and the use of one of three computers in the reception area are now charged for at what I consider to be prohibitive prices.
3. The breakfast buffet is the least well organised, and least generous in terms of food available, of any of the three 4 star hotels on Gibraltar.

In my considered view, both The Rock and Caletta Hotels offer better value and an overall better experience than the Eliott, whose main advantage is that it is situated right in the centre of town immediately behind Main Street.

Incidentally, I feel quite relaxed about writing in these terms since my previous private letter to the General Manager, in which I offered suggestions for improvements, remained unanswered.

Room Tip: Try for a high floor away from the lifts. Rooms with (distant) sea view are likely to be quieter pro...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Ritter- Writer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am really sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
Yes we do charge for parking at only £10.00 per day for residents as it is £1.50 per hour to non residents. Our WIFI charge is £5.00 for two hours at the computers by the reception, which most of our in house guests use on a regularly.
I am really sorry but I have not received any private letter to date, could you please forward it to me again and I will be happy to look at your suggestions.

Mary Kinch

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gibraltar
Rock Hotel Gibraltar
Ohtels Campo de Gibraltar
Ohtels Campo de Gibraltar
#2 of 5 in La Linea de la Concepcion
Holiday Inn Express Campo de Gibraltar - Barrios

Been to O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel? Share your experiences!