“Great Night Stay”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Gibraltar
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Great Night Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

Just back from a one night stay at the O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel and it certainly was a well worth stay. I booked direct with the hotel and got a room for £94.00 but on arrival we had been upgraded to a junior suite. Lovely spacious room, clean and tidy. We enjoyed it so much we were planning to stay another night but the room had been booked and the price would have been £240.00 pounds. The Manager and staff were so friendly and helpful and a big thanks to Karen on reception for sorting out the room and parking. We decided not to venture too far and ate in the rooftop restaurant and the food was well priced and way above excellent. The only downside was finding it, even the locals said it was difficult to get to and if you are driving make sure you have done your advanced driving test because the width of the roads up to the hotel were probably designed for donkeys!!! Had a great stay and would definately return.

Room Tip: Hire a donkey to get up the narrow roads!!
2 Thank CostaMan
, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear Costa Man,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Thank you for your lovely comments and I am glad Karen helped you during your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

With kind regards.
Mary Kinch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Truro, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

Having read the reviews by previous people I was worried about what I was going to find. In actual fact the hotel is not that bad. The front desk staff were OK & immediately changed my room when I found that I had been given one on a lower floor next the the lifts. I had found from previous reports that they were noisy. The decor which other people had complained about, I found to be not that bad. It was reasonable quality but showed plenty of signs of wear as a well used hotel. I have stayed in a lot worse. The room maid even though she spoke no English was good & when I needed to make special arrangements promptly got onto the front desk to translate. The room had air conditioning but the unit was old & noisy so could not be left running at night.
The breakfasts were OK & the staff efficient but if you got the timing wrong you may have to wait a couple of minutes for a table. The Scrambled eggs were runny but as I have only ever found one hotel on my travels which managed to mass produce it & make it fluffy that was normal.
The Veranda Bar service was reasonable & the Club Sandwich more than a meal.
The down side was on Saturday night when the place seemed to be full of shouting & screaming men & women storming up & down the corridors untill 4am without a thought for other hotel guests. Another reason for a room away from the lifts.
The only down side was when checking out I reported a couple of maintenance items for my room that needed fixing but the front desk staff did not seem very interested.
All in all the hotel has a convenient postion, is fairly comfortable, the staff are reasonable & if I had to go to Gibraltar again I would probably stay there. It's better than The Rock where a friend of mine found Monkeys in his room.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near lifts especially at weekends the further down the corridors the better. Even number...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank TravellerClif
Dear TravellerCliff,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, and thank you for your constructive feedback which we have taken on board.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

Having now stayed in all 3 of the 4 * hotels in Gibraltar I feel I am in a very strong position to write this review.

The rooms are spacious, clean and well decorated, but there is NO air conditioning in the rooms they are mearly electrical fans. I can say this as by comparison, the public areas are comfortably cool, where as our room was stuffy and hot and with temperatures of over 32 degrees this week stifling.

The Wii Fi that is free in many pubs and cafes 50 yards away is charged at £80 a week here or £5.00 min whether it's a 2 min log on to check your emails or a 2 hour surf.

The restaurant where breakfast and dinner are served is very overcrowded with tables crammed in and is so small for the number of bedrooms we had to que to que for a table for breakfast reminiscent of the school dinner system.

The gym is adequate for maintenance of fitness, very clean with shower next door.

The pool had a tide mark around the edge and was not very inviting on several days, the new sun loungers on the upper deck not cleaned down daily and showed up all of the previous days activity, ie sun cream etc.

There are pluses and minuses to all hotel in Gib, the plus to this one is the location, but if like us you want to mix site seeing and afternoons by the pool this is not the hotel for you as sun beds are not allowed around the pool!

We won't be coming back here in a hurry.

1 Thank HelzyBelzy
Dear HelzyBelzy,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Thank you for your feedback which we appreciate from all our customers.

All of our 123 bedrooms have air conditioning and heating which is individually controlled from each room so each guest can set their own temperature.
In summer we use the extra tables by the pool for breakfast and dinner and in winter we use our Bay View room for extra space for breakfast.
We have a solarium for the sun beds as there is no room by the pool as guests use the tables and chairs to have breakfast, lunch and dinner there, which we feel accommodates everyone.
We do hope you will return to stay with us on your next visit to Gibraltar.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

Just back from a great weekend visiting mates in Gib and escaping the Wet British summer. I was pleased with my stay and can understand why it's number one in Gib. The staff from arriving to departing couldn't have been nicer and helpful. The hotel is clean, understated. The room for a single travler was huge and very comfortable. Plenty of tea and coffee in the room too! The rooftop restaurant is we're brekky is served which was really nice and enough choice to suit everyone. I didn't go to the roof top bistro or use the pool so can't comment. I did use the Verandah bar and the food was very tasty and the drinks reasonably priced. I am looking forward to an already booked visit in sept with Aussie relatives.

2 Thank marcopolo1701
Dear Marcopolo 1701,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review,and thank you for your lovely comments.
We appreciate your feedback.
We also look forward to you returning in September with your Australian relatives.

Mary kinch
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

This is definitely not a 4 star hotel. It took 3 attempts for the staff to offer us a room in which we were prepared to stay. On the downside: The rooms were very run-down and tired - e.g. the wooden furniture was covered in severe hot-cup marks, the bathroom mirrors had the 'silvering' peeling of their backs and the general house keeping was poor; however, house keeping in the public areas was better, but the roof-top pool was in need of a clean. Also, the 2 lifts were inadequate to cope with the 'traffic' in this 8 floored hotel. On the upside, the staff were always friendly and helpful and the food served was always of good quality. Conclusion: We would not stay in this hotel again or recommend it to others.

Room Tip: View the room being offered before accepting it and don't be afraid to say no!
Dear James T,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are a very busy hotel and our 2 lifts which hold 20 persons per lift works really well for our 8 floors.
We do have a high standard in house keeping and I am sorry you did not experience that.
We do hope you will return to stay with us on your next visit to Gibraltar.

With kind regards.
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

As previous reviewers have said, there aren't a lot of hotels to choose from on Gibraltar and no clear cut number 1. I am not keen on the apes and some reviews indicated that the Rock Hotel rooms have regular ape visits so I went for the O'Callaghan Eliott.

The location is great, close to everything with a nice outside bar/cafe and welcoming reception. The staff were friendly and the atmosphere pleasant.

Our room was on the third floor with a view of the Rock. It was spacious with a comfortable bed, plenty of hanging space, safe etc. but no fridge/mini bar. The main downside was the bath which needed fresh mastic around it (mouldy mastic not acceptable) and a fresh shower curtain or at least the existing shower curtain needed a hot wash. The air conditioning unit in the room was very old and noisy - it would not be possible to sleep with it switched on.

The downsides of the hotel : the charge for Wifi is high and it is rare to be charged for WiFi in a hotel these days. The charge is a continuous one, i.e. you pay for 2hrs for £5.00 but you have to use yours 2 hours straight away from the moment you log on, you can't log on and off as you might wish to check e-mails etc.

The hotel exterior is also rather shabby, it could do with a coat of fresh paint and the glass "atrium" at the entrance needs the bird poo cleaning off it probably weekly, all maintenance but appropriate for a 4 star hotel.

There was noise until midnight from the hotel bar and local traffic, bear in mind you are in the centre of town and it is lively.

All in all we enjoyed our stay at the O'Callaghan and would stay again but would hope that some of the maintenance issues in the bathrooms for example have been addressed by then.

Dear White- family,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
We have taken you comments on board and we hope you will come and stay with us again soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

Given that there are not many hotels in Gibralter to choose from, I was not expecting too much from the O'Callahan having previously stayed at the Bristol and not enjoyed it - but all I can say is WOW! If you're expecting 5* luxury beautique you probably won't enjoy this, but if you're after a hotel right in the centre, where the rooms are spacious and more importantly clean, consider this hotel. It has all the amenities you could wish for and, whilst the pool bar wasn't open during our stay, you could phone down for your drinks. Breakfast was perfect with a choice of cereals, fruit, pastries and cooked food to suit any taste. Similarly, the bar food was lovely...however, the harbour and Casements are easily accessible on foot, so you probably wouldn't want to eat there too much. But the one thing that ranks this hotel high up on my list of favourites (and my husband & I travel a lot), is the staff - everyone from the housekeeper on the 4th floor (sorry I can't spell her name, baki?), to restaurant & bar staff and everyone you encounter whilst walking around always had a smile and something to say. This was particularly evident in their resolution of a minor problem we had whilst eating in the restaurant for my mum's birthday dinner...after the champagne we had previously ordered for our arrival failed to materialise, my husband went down to reception to enquire, we didn't want to spoil the surprise for my Mum, so couldn't say anything in the restaurant - hey presto the bubbly soon arrived & everyone from the Manager, General Manager, and other staff spent the next 2
days apologising! To surmise, I will end by saying that we would have no hesitation coming back to this charming hotel, which is high praise given that we haven't gone back to the same place twice. Given that Gibraltar has my heart and, until I can afford a harbour view apartment, the O'Callahan Hotel is a more than adequate base!

2 Thank MrsO369
, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Dear Mrs 0369,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and thank you for your lovely comments.
We are really delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass on your lovely comments to Paque and all of the team.
We all look forward to you returning to stay with us very soon.

Mary Kinch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gibraltar
Sunborn Gibraltar
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,093 reviews
AC Hotel La Linea
AC Hotel La Linea
#1 of 5 in La Linea de la Concepcion

Been to O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel? Share your experiences!