“Beware the fire alarm...”

O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Gibraltar
England
“Beware the fire alarm...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

My partner and I stayed here for a few nights in May. Check in was quick and easy and the room spacious and clean. However, the 'balcony' is tiny - you wouldn't get one chair out there, never mind two - and the 'sea view' really just overlooks buildings, with a glimpse of the ships in the bay now and again. The swimming pool/bathing area was ok but quite dated and could do with a revamp.
The waiter argued with us at breakfast on our first morning as he was insistent that we had not paid for breakfast - despite me having a pre-paid voucher for accommodation and breakfast. So we had to go down to reception as soon as we had eaten to prove we were not lying. In fairness to the waiter, he was only doing his job but it wasn't our fault the hotel had not correctly communicated with the breakfast staff. Being made to feel a liar in front of a room full of other guests isn't the best start to any holiday - and no apology from reception either.
The following morning in the very early hours, we were woken by the fire alarm going off so got up and followed the emergency exit signs with the few other guest who joined us. The exit route took us outside the building so that we had to re-enter via the main doors (the alarm had finally gone off by this point) but these were locked and the receptionist looked genuinely surprised to see us all. No guidance, nothing. Maybe she had her ipod on and had missed the whole thing? I'm just glad it wasn't a real fire because the lack of organisation/interest on the hotel's part was frankly frightening.
The fire alarm went off again during the middle of the next night so again, we went out with other guests only to be told we could go back up to our rooms (at least this time we were told - I'd had to ask the night before!) Annoying.
Fire alarms and breakfast bills aside, this was an ok hotel - but a couple of nights of broken sleep and no apologies from the hotel (apart from a miniscule sign which eventually went up in the lift to warn us the alarm may go off) didn't help.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CEWEngland
mary_kinch, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
Dear CEWEngland,

Thank you for your constructive comments, which I will discuss with my team here.
I do apologise for the alarm system going off, we were fitting a new alarm system and it was very sensitive
We really do hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Mary kinch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Whitstable, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

We went there for our anniversary. I felt this is the best hotel on Gibralter and still feel that, having looked at the others. It is spotlessly clean. Nothing extravegant except the prices in the restaurant. The staff are not friendly, but also not rude.
Our room was pleasant - nothing special. They porvided all the usual toiletries except conditioner. Tea & coffee making facilities.
The restaurant was on the top floor with great views. Also there is a small pool and lounging area with a bar opening up in the afternoon.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DDBKent
Dear DDB Kent,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review .
We look forward to seeing you back again soon for our Friday Night BBQ

Mary kinch
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

From the moment we arrived, a smooth quick check in and lovely room, I had emailed ahead asking for a sea view which fortunately was not accommodated as our room was perfect. I has lost sleep trying to decide which would be the best hotel to stay in and after visiting the others, Caleta and Rock, realised I had made the best decision. We were staying for a short break to attend a wedding and some guests were staying in those other hotels. The Rock, although lovely, was quiet a trip away from everything and very up hill, the pool was across the road. The Caleta, although having stunning views and a lovely pool, seemed a little grubby and the lift was a pain to navigate.
The Eliott was so accessible to everything. Clean, immaculate, staff friendly and helpful. Particularly Karen who has a quirky manner about her but extremely helpful and efficient. We bought a meal in the bar and although they had trouble cooking a well done steak, had no problem reimbursing me my money when I didn't like it. (thank you Les). The drinks are poured generously. The service prompt. Breakfast! what can I say. make sure you get up for it, it will set you up for the day, all you can eat buffet, toast, cereals, breads and pastries, jam,. fruit, sausage, eggs, bacon, hash browns, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans. Juices, tea and coffee. Some guests were ordering omelettes and fried eggs which where cooked and served to order.
The beds were huge (two singles attached to each other) A little too firm for my taste, but husband had no problems sleeping on them.
Its says the pool was heated, Although the weather was hot, the water was too cold for me, in fact the only people I saw in pool were two small children who didnt dip for long, but the pool did look clean and refreshed my very tired feet as I sat on the side with a tall cold glass of malibu.
Although Gibraltar is a small place, we managed to walk most of it, however we did make some use of the brilliant bus service - which is free and easy to use, and if you get on the wrong one, getting lost is difficult and finding your way very easy. Your not hassled to do anything, buy anything or go anywhere which was great and so we explored every single street, stairway and shop we could find. We were not really interested in shopping in the main street, but liked to find the little back street shops. One in particular - Pandoras Box - a little gem of a jewellery shop where I purchased most of my gifts was a great find in City Mill Lane, beautiful silver jewellery. Far cheaper than main street stores and well worth a visit from the husband and wife who run it. Very helpful and friendly.
We are quite English in our food tastes and found a bar at the far end of the Marina -- called Charlie's , if your visiting you must go there, we went three times and could not fault the food, service, location and price. Great value for money and a melt in your mouth menu! We did the cable car trip, walked around the beautiful botanical gardens, visited the marina, who ever says Gibraltar is small hasn't walked it like we have. We really wanted to visit St Michaels cave and the tunnels but just didn't have time. We need to go back and I have already priced up the very cheap flights from Easy Jet, so it wont be long before we are back. I booked the whole thing through MY GIBRALTAR, it was so reasonable we felt as though we got a bargain. Just one thing if anyone is going there, I saw a lovely pair of sunglasses in the window of a shop that sold shoes and handbags on main street (almost opposite Library street) a cream pair of hand stitched leather sunglasses, if anyone is passing who happen to see the make of them can you let me know? I left without buying them, my only regret of visiting Gibraltar. I think they were £270. Even the name of the shop would be helpful.
Just one more thing.
Tobacco and alcohol is very cheap, be careful if you are tempted to buy more than your fair share, you could get caught out at the airport, they do many random hold luggage checks. If you dont buy your tobacco or alcohol in the city, dont worry, the airport prices are equally competitive.
Have a great time.

Room Tip: The higher floor the better!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank KarenD1967
mary_kinch, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
Dear KarenD196,

We were delighted to read how much you enjoyed staying with us, and thank you for you nice compliments to Karen and the team here.
The shop where you saw the sun glasses is called Shoe and the telephone number is
00350 200 48480 I hope this helps.
We look forward to welcoming you back again for our Friday night BBQ by the pool.

Benijofar, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

I stayed at this Hotel for 2 nights in June costing £300 and booked directly through the hotel. When we checked in we were told that our room was not quite ready but after 5 minutes that was rectified. Upon entering the room we noticed how shabby and dated it was. We were put on the 2nd floor with a view of a car park. The air conditioners were just below us and made a racket. I misplaced something in the room and while searching for it pulled back the duvet and sheets on the bed. To my horror there were lots of pubic hairs and also about 10 really long black hairs. In the bathroom it was even worse. There were about 30 long hairs on the floor and stains up the wall near the toilet. The room had not been cleaned at all and the sheets had not been changed. We immediately complained to reception. We asked the receptionist to be moved but she was incredibly dismissive and said the hotel was full. She said she will get the cleaner to clean the room immediately. We were not happy so decided to go shopping for a few hours. Upon our return the room was in exactly the same state. I was fuming and went to reception again. This time a young woman was there and she was much more helpful. She apologised and said they would move us immediately. Obviously the hotel was not full after all. We were moved to the 6th floor, which had views of the sea. This should have been the room we paid for originally. They also gave us a bottle of wine. As we requested twin beds they separated them but as the linen cupboard was locked they used what they had available to make the beds and said this would be rectified the second night. This they failed to do. I called for a corkscrew and they said somebody would be up immediately. After 25 minutes of waiting I went down to the empty bar and asked them to open it for me. The barman said 'Are you the one that called about the wine?'. I said 'Yes'. He said 'I was supposed to go to your room but I forgot the room number'. On our day of departure at 8am there was no hot water. I called reception and was told they they would look into it. That was the last I heard of it and we ended up having a cold shower. I have had better experiences at budget hotels. I can honestly say this hotel was a total let down and I will not be going there again.

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank chas0001
Dear Chas0001,

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I have taken all of your comments on board to discuss with my team here.
I really do hope you will come back to stay with us again when you are in Gibraltar.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2011

We stayed at the Eliott Hotel in June 2011, upon arrival the staff member at the front desk was reasonably pleasant and welcoming. Our room was quite presentable except for a fair bit of rust in the bathroom. The shock of the trip was when we ate in the restraunt for breakfast, the food was nothing short of repulsive (this comes from a person who is not a fussy eater i may add) and looked about as appetizing as road kill. My father ate the mushrooms, in them he found a clump of hair (possibly from a kitchen cleaning impliment) after eating them he said (and i quote) "I didn't know they sold pubic mushrooms", as comical as this may sound, i assure you this was no joke. At a cost of £14 each, this is nothing short of a crime.

Room Tip: Eat out for breakfast!!!!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank jackrigby90
Dear Jackrigby,

Thank you for your comments, and I have spoken to our Chef who was surprised to hear about the mushrooms.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Rayleigh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

Stayed here for two nights and I would say it is OK. Clean, tidy but dated but then that is Gibraltar. Rooms were quite. Position is great as it is off the high street and near the rock. Expensive for what you get at £189 a night breakfast not included. Service is a little lax but again that is the way of life in Gib

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank M1DLD
Dear M1DLD,

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you back again for our Friday Night BBQ

Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2011

We stopped at the hotel on the Royal Wedding weekend, even though we arrived at the hotel early our room was ready. Best views are to the rock side, lower level room looking to the sea direction only get views of the local buildings.

The room was clean and tidy, with all the facilites you would expect from a 4* hotel. My only observation would be that the hot drink was only tea and coffee, no hot chocolate or fruit teas.

During our stay they had just had a new fire alarm system fitted and they did display a sign to advise this which stated that the alarm may go off a times throughout the day. This sign did not advise that it could be a night also. On the first night the alarm went off at 3am, the receptionist was the only member of staff on duty and it was very chaotic. There was very little direction to the guests. Once the alarm had stopped they then said that if the alarm went off again we were to ignore it. This was a little disconcerting, if it had actually been a fire then I didn't feel this was appropriate for the receptionist to say. During our stay on 3 nights the alarm also went off at 5am on our final morning.

The breakfast room is very small for the size of hotel. It was extremely hot in the breakfast room and they didn't open any windows or turn any air-con on till about 20 mins before the breakfast service finished. At least two occations the windows were that steamed up you could not see any of the views from the roof top breakfast room. The quality of the food was a bit hit and miss The first morning the hot food look and tasted as though it had been left out for quite a while. The mushrooms I had that day did not taste very nice almost a chemical taste to them. When I asked for a clean hot plate I got quite a sarcastic response. But on another day the breakfast was nice and the staff very pleasant.

The location of the hotel is very good, right in the Middle of the Island and just off the Main Street well within walking distance of all the local resturants.

We only eat in the hotel one night via room service,the first hotel I've had to pay for room service when it's delivered rather than putting it on the bill. The food was nice nothing special but nice.

The bar was pleasant but drinks were quite expensive. Tip if you want a black coffee make sure you ask for americano if you ask for a coffee it automatically comes as a latte.

Room Tip: Best views are of the rock on the front.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jessiemol
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gibraltar
Sunborn Gibraltar
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,093 reviews
AC Hotel La Linea
AC Hotel La Linea
#1 of 5 in La Linea de la Concepcion

Been to O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel? Share your experiences!