All reviewsbars and restaurantsinclusive breakfastsingle cabincomfy sleepshower facilitiesbudget choicehelpful ownercertain charmocean village areaclose to the airportno air confloating hotela great stayexcellent locationrooms are smallminute strollbus station
Reviewed September 17, 2017

Before you book here, read the 'poor' and 'terrible' rated reviews. They're by far the most accurate description of the Con Dios, and I really can't fathom how it's got the good reviews it has. I'm convinced that the amazing reviews it's received are being written by fake users or people connected to the owners. There can't be this level of disparity with reviews and reality without some sort of trickery. If you want to disregard this review and trust the others, then you should at least insist on viewing the cabins when you get there before handing over any money.

With that said, let me get across the two minor good points about this place:

1. It's location. It was pretty well located. Not too far from the airport and nestled between a load of shops and bars.
2. Its upper deck. Sitting on the upper deck with a drink in Summer easily belies the horrors below.

Unfortunately, that's where the positivity ends. My friend and I stayed for one night, which cost us £90. The cabins are small - but we knew that, it's a boat - what we weren't expecting was the overwhelming stench of chemical toilets. I mean, it was overpowering.

Ventilation to the cabin was via a small porthole. There was toilet and sink, but it was a chemical toilet incapable of processing anything other than urine apparently. But it smelled like lots of people had tried.

I suppose the cabin and its adjacent toilet looked as clean as they could for an old boat, but there were cockroaches around the sink and toilet area.

As it was summer, it was hot. But with a lack of ventilation, the temperature in the cabin got up to 30°C. They'd provided us with a fan, but it was incredibly noisy and just recirculated air at the ambient temperature. At about 2am it became a clear choice between not sleeping because of the heat and lack of fresh air, or not sleeping because of the noise of the fan. That, coupled with the stench of the chemicals forced me up on to the upper deck, where I slept for the remainder of the night between some buckets.

In the morning, we could have helped ourselves to toast for breakfast, but we really weren't in the mood. The showers are located about 150 metres away from the boat in a block on the marina. This facility was fine, but located some distance away from where we were sleeping. Although, I see this as a minor point having slept outdoors for the majority of my stay.

Some other points to consider are that you will not be able to stay here if you're disabled. The gangway to the boat is very narrow and not suitable for anyone not steady on their feet. So you should take that into consideration.

I would also take a look at my photographs that show the amount of junk on the deck.

This is an old boat with detritus left lying around. The owners have clearly made no attempt to retrofit the vessel with any mod cons and clearly don't put too much effort into maintaining a habitable space.

We never met the owners, only their daughter (who was perfectly lovely). We had to leave early in the morning, so never got chance to tell them about our stay face-to-face (or ask for our money back).

It was by far the worst B&B experience I've ever encountered and one of the worst night's sleep I've ever had. Not cute. Not quirky. Just terrible.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled with friends
2  Thank William A
Reviewed September 6, 2017 via mobile

This was meant to be a lovely couple of nights away as a surprise for my husband for Valentine's Day, however it turned out to be something of a nightmare. No one was there to meet us when we arrived, although we gave an estimated time of arrival. First impression of the boat was that we walked on to a floating laundry, with big bags of washing everywhere. The weather wasn't very kind, and it poured with rain, our cabin leaked and the bed got wet. In fairness after contacting the owner ( eventually) we were moved to another cabin. This was never cleaned and bins never emptied so all in all would never recommend this to any of our friends.

Stayed: February 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Judith M
Reviewed August 18, 2017

I booked for 2 weeks but really could have done what I wanted in 1 week. The host Karen was awesome and caring. Her daughter and helper couldn't do enough to make you feel at home. Downside for me was picking the wrong cabin. In my opinion if you have never stayed on a boat before, you have to be aware of other guests sleeping on board and keep noise to a minimum plus dont drag heavy luggage along the decking. 1. It damages the paint work. 2. Noise is magnified below decks. Spent many a early morning on deck and drinking coffee whilst feeding the fish below the boat.
I found Gibraltar very overpriced, even the day trips offered across the border. The weather was excellent but found the beaches congested around lunch. Having lived in Gibraltar from 1962-1964 my visit was disappointing.

Room Tip: Pick the Captains room
  • Stayed: June 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed July 6, 2017

Stayed here (on board) for one night as it was something different. Comfy but no air con and as I am tall the single cabin was a tad too small but for one night it was ok. Clean and tidy. Bed was comfy enough but lack of air con was a negative (one night was bearable though). Very good shower / toilet block in the marina are free to use. Simple breakfast but it was adequate.

Excellent location for the marina and bars etc.

Would I stay again, only if I could get a room with opening windows!

Don't get me wrong, it is worth staying for one night, to say that you have done it!

Room Tip: Go for one that has opening windows (if thats possible)
  • Stayed: June 2017, traveled solo
1  Thank Ross W
Reviewed July 1, 2017

It was an awesome time, enjoying relaxation along with enjoying the breathtaking surroundings of a beautiful landscape. We feel that We are locals, as everyone is so friendly and the surroundings are safe. We truly enjoyed Our time spent with Our Host - Karen, who is courteous and friendly, along with hardworking towards Herself and Guests.

We stayed in the Captains Room and had everything available for Our weeks stay. I would wholeheartedly recommend a stay onboard Con Dios, and I can guarantee that the lovely welcome you'll receive, will truly make you want to return.

Room Tip: Awesome views from Con Dios of Marina and surrounding landscapes - Rock; Etc
  • Stayed: June 2017, traveled as a couple