“Refined Mexican”

Chilam Balam
Ranked #51 of 1,011 Restaurants in Vigo
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Chilam Balam is the best mexican restaurant in Galicia. Tacos, guacamole, traditional cousine, margaritas, tequila.
Reviewed November 7, 2018

I had dinner here with a group of friends. The restaurant is pretty inside, the dim light and stony walls create a pleasant atmosphere. We shared two carafes of margarita, I recommend it especially in warm weather. The dishes were good, carefully prepared and nicely presented, but depending on the dish the portions might not be that big. They also serve nachos with a variety of spicy sauces. I recommend nachos with guacamole, it's very tasty.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed May 17, 2018 via mobile

After spending a month on the Camino de Santiago we needed some non tapas, non bocadillos alternatives. Living in Central Texas, Mexican is my comfort food:) Chilam Balam is worth a visit for tacos, tostadas, enchiladas and tequilas, though my order for a ‘Margarita on the rocks with salt’ brought a frozen margarita.. which is not my favorite but drinkable once it mostly melted:)

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed November 5, 2017

Me and my girlfriend enjoyed the place. The restaurant has a more cosy atmosphere than most Spanish restaurants. They serve good nachos with 4 different sauces so you can dig in straight away. The menu explains all the dishes well (in Spanish of course) and tells you exactly how spicy something is. All the dishes we had were tasteful and looked good. The staff was very attentive. We enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone interested in trying Mexican food!

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed August 19, 2017

We had looked out this restaurant for a special occasion. Booked well in advance.
The website is bad and provides little or no information.
When we arrived we were referred to a blanket table almost in the middle of the room. On their website and on Tripadvicer it says the place is romantic. No, not at all. It was spiced by people of all ages around us, from infant to noisy company party.
But ok, we wanted a nice evening with real Mexican food. We ordered as many other guests, a Margarita as a starter. We saw in the menu that they had at least 5 different flavors and I was just to choose my favorite variant when the servant disappeared and came back with 2 lemon margarita. It was not exactly what I had in mind.
The ordering was a hectic scene since her Spanish went to 170. We instead used the menu with pictures. The dishes were delicious and rich in flavour. The accompanying salsa was properly balanced and excellent. The wine we chose, from a local house, was quite good at an absolutely acceptable price.
The food arrived quite quickly. It was a bit uncomfortable that the serving dish was taken out before I had taken care of everything that was there.
The survey is set as low as 2 because we had expected more calm atmosphere and a less hectic experience. It seemed that the service was instructed to get the customers out as fast as possible. Sorry for this experience with such service when the food was good.

Date of visit: August 2017
alaingtz, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Chilam Balam, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2017

Thank you for your comments, Janbso.
We regret that you had a busy night in our restaurant.
In summer, and mainly on weekends, we have nights with many clients.
We hope to see you soon. Thank you.

Reviewed August 8, 2017

Nice Mexican food, we needed something spicy after a few days and this was just the ticket. Great food and lovely service. Recommended.

Date of visit: July 2017