“Very good food and excellent value”
Review of Ribadavia

Ribadavia
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Very good food and excellent value”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

When walking up and down the two main streets full of restaurants it is always difficult to find a good one. This one looked okay and was pleasant. We had two sopas Marisco, 1 wonderful Gambas Ajillo and a salmon dish plus the local wonderful white wine Ribeiro and this came to 44.85 euros which is very cheap compared to England. It wasn't the best of restaurants but it was certainly tasty food at a good price and the staff were friendly and appreciated my trying out my terrible Spanish on them. Much better value than A Barrola.

• Visited September 2013

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Aspe Spain
“Clippety-clop”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

This is a few doors down from El Cayado that I reviewed earlier, and was equally as dreadful in a down-market way. Here at least you could share a full bottle of wine between two from the 11 Euro menu that actually tasted alright the first time we went. However, when we returned a second time at my wife’s insistence, the “similar” bottle we were offered was absolute plonk.
Apart from the wine offer, unique in this road for a menu of the day, the main attraction was the gymnastic performances of the lead waiter, whose slim build was complemented by a disproportionately large, grey walrus moustache. The layout of the long, narrow restaurant with its kitchen located at the rear, down a significant flight of steps, forced him to walk long distances to deliver meals and to return used plates and cutlery.
We chose each time to sit at a small, round table one side of the steps, so we could see as well as hear him clip-clopping past in his hard-heeled shoes, at varying paces of frantic activity. It was hugely entertaining, like being in a Laurel and Hardy film as he sped by Flamenco style, sometimes threatening to take-off, and giving us a sickly grin as we bade him well on his journeys. His deft balancing of the plates was a wonder to behold, with only the odd piece of cutlery falling to the floor as he approached the serving hatch.
Near the end of one meal, I went to the toilet to express my gratitude, and nearly got electrocuted as my finger pressed a broken panel to turn the light on, and landed on cables.
“Why’s your hair standing on end!” she asked me, thinking it was funny.
I nearly died from laughter after all this entertainment, and yes, the food was indeed bog-standard. When I paid by credit card, our waiter deftly chose the option to present the bill in British rather than Euro currency, thinking I had not noticed, but I ignored his craftiness and walked out wearing a silly grin and my hair still sticking-up.
Outside, I nearly tripped over yet another professional Eastern-European beggar who was kneeling there with his hands outstretched. I leaned over and whispered to him, “They’ve got a good toilet in there you may wish to use.”

• Visited June 2013