“Perfect location for an excellent hotel”
Review of Altair Hotel

Altair Hotel
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

I've been in Santiago for a short trip and I spent two nights in this warm hotel. I recomend it for the position, for the reception and for the global quality. In its family style it is an excellent solutipn for a special city like Santiago.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Luigi_Montagnini

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Perfect from start to finish. The location is quiet, but close to everything in the walled city. The room was quite lovely, and the beds larger than in other places we stayed, and very comfortable. The styling is modern and attractive. Everything is very clean. Breakfast is superb. It is served personally, rather than buffet, which is very pleasant. We loved the fresh fruit, and had never had croissants toasted before. There was a variety of unusual, tasty jams. The breakfast did cost extra, so we just tried it the first morning - and happily came back the following 2 days; it was well worth it. Everyone on the staff is fantastic. They are helpful, and very, very kind. The woman who greeted us the first day seemed to feel our pain and anxiety of being lost on the way. (It is a bit hard to find. But in another example of the kindness of people in this town, a woman working in a cafe across town felt it was too complicated to describe how to drive, so got in her car and led us to the hotel when we stopped and asked for directions!) We took the staff's recommendation for dinner, and had a very nice treat. This place was the highlight of our 10-day trip.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2013

This is a small, intimate, excellent hotel. Our double room was large, very nicely appointed, and extremely clean. There were large windows on two sides and a small balcony that looked out over the quiet street. The bed was large and comfortable. The hotel has a nice lobby with a small breakfast area. The breakfast is wonderful, including fresh orange juice, coffee, baked goods, bread, meats, fruit, yoghurt and who know what else. The highlight was the staff, who were unfailingly helpful, cheerful, and very competent. We stayed a few days after our walk of the Camino. While I'm not sure I'd re-walk the Camino, I'd stay again at the Altair in a second.

Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank AlaskaNurse
Reviewed June 2, 2013

The hotel is in a great location, a few minutes form the cathederal in the old town. The staff are extremely efficient and friendly. Our room (301) was just lovely, great bed, nice sitting area, great bathroom etc. Breakfast was a real treat with very good coffee, fresh and plentiful orange juice, local ham and cheese and lovely jams. We were not charged for some local calls to the car rental company or for some coffees which we had taken o our room one afternoon. Altair was a really lovely hotel experience.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2013

As all the others have said, there is not much I can add to say this is a gem. The hotel is beautiful, the location perfect (quite street but easy walk to center), the rooms nicely decorated, modern and super clean bathrooms. Superb breakfast! But it is the staff (all women, by the way) who make this hotel the gem it is. They're all very knowledgeable on Santiago and Spain. They speak different languages and are extremely helpful and nice. Loved it

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I echo the reviews that have made this the number one hotel in Santiago. I was fortunate to stay two nights after my 800KM Camino from St. Jean. From booking to check in to the room itself Altair provided the perfect post Camion retreat. The location is just far enough away from the noise and bustle of the Cathedral (5 - 10 minute walk) to provide a quiet atmosphere. The room was wonderful (request No. 2 with private garden, perfect for relaxing with a glass of wine and making notes about the Camino experience) but it was the staff that made all the difference. Without asking I was provided a Pilgrim rate. They were very familiar with the "care and feeding" of folks who had been walking for weeks. Breakfast was also wonderful. I hope to return to Santiago, either via the Camino or just as a tourist, and will be sure to book my accommodations at the Altair before leaving the U.S.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Ken K
Reviewed April 14, 2013

if you have read the other reviews, you will have a sense of this hotel. I won't repeat a lot of what has already been written except to say, I agree--this is a lovely hotel with fantastic staff. The hotel is in the old city, just on the fringe. The old city itself is not large, Santiago is quite big however. So if you have more than two days, be sure to get to the newer parts of town as well. It is a small hotel on a corner. Wonderfully located. Just to the side of the hotel, up the street (take a left out of the hotel and another immediate left to go up the street, you will find a few tapas wine bars (one recommended by trip advisor--the sticker is on the window) and a bodega that is on the corner which is recommended. So if you don't want to go far, there are places in the immediate area for drink and food. As for the hotel itself, when you enter, there is a small reception desk to the right and to the left is a nice waiting area with a couch and a few chairs plus a computer for public use. To the back are some tables where you have breakfast in the morning or can enjoy a drink at night. it is not really a bar, but the reception staff will make you a drink, pour you a glass of wine or beer, so it is fine if you don't want to go out or are on your own. The rooms are probably pretty standard. I was in one and my mum in another and they both were fairly similar. Good size, nice bathrooms, safe, television, desk, etc. There is wi-fi that is free and was quite good. Others have written about a hard bed, but I thought it was great. The other points raised is about the noise. In fact many said this hotel was 'quiet' Well yes and no, for the most part, I suspect it is pretty quiet but one of the nights I was there, there was singing in the streets at about 4 a.m. and despite the shutters being closed and earplugs, I could still hear it. I think that is not likely to be a usual event but if you are light sleeper, come with ear plugs. Also, remember to close the wooden shutters. These are on the inside, so close them and then make sure you use the latch. That does help with noise. Do not be put off by this. I am an extremely light sleeper and I did fine. I did have the breakfast and it was really lovely. Lovely breads, jams, yoghurt, fresh fruit, the famous almond cakes and cheese and meat are the usual choices, plus fresh juice and coffee. It is worth the very small extra price (I think €8). The staff can arrange tours if you wish am these are €55-62 per person and you can choose a variety of different routes. We went to Rias Braixas, which was nice. Our first choice, Costa del morte was not available for the only day we could go but if you can do this one, I think this area (more desolate) is better. The tour company they use Galicia tours was superb. Be sure to let them know you need a tour in English. It is rare to have a tour in anything other than Spanish or English. The tour is very long, includes lunch. Leaving around 930 and back around 630. Finally, a taxi to and/or from the airport is a flat rate of €21 each way. Given where the hotel is located, if you are not walking in to town, then I would do a taxi. Santiago itself is lovely, but worth no more than 2 days/2 nights. If you are planning on staying longer, head out to see some other parts of Galicia....and finally, whatever you do--STAY HERE!

Room Tip: perhaps on the higher floor if you can but its a small hotel, so anywhere is great....