Costa Vella Hotel
Parador Hostal Dos Reis Catolicos(Santiago de Compostela)
$435
$418
  • Restaurant
NH Collection Santiago de Compostela(Santiago de Compostela)
$125
NH Hotels
Hotel Compostela(Santiago de Compostela)
$106
$95
  • Room Service
NH Hesperia Santiago Peregrino(Santiago de Compostela)(Great Value!)
$62
$204
Hotel Herradura(Santiago de Compostela)
$105
Altair Hotel(Santiago de Compostela)
$122
$119
  • Bar/Lounge
$60
AC Palacio del Carmen, Autograph Collection(Santiago de Compostela)
$135
Autograph
Hotel Carris Casa de la Troya(Santiago de Compostela)
$101
$98
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsoverlooking the gardenold townopen to the publiccharming hoteljose antoniosmall hotelcroissantsfirst floorattic roombreakfast roomrooms overlookingno liftfamily runtop floora real gembooked this hotelstayed nights
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Although I stayed at Hotel Costa Vella in November, it is still important for me to write this review. I stayed here for 4 days after walking the Camino. The hotel is in a great location and I was able to walk everywhere. My room was immaculate and very cosy. What makes this an amazing place to stay though is the staff! They go out of their way to make you feel at home. The breakfasts were delicious and served in a wonderful room overlooking the garden. Robert recommended places for me to see in Santiago including the market (which I loved!). I will definitely stay here again after my next Camino adventure! Thank you for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank davekare
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I just came back today from Santiago de Compostela and i couldn't wait to write a review for this hotel. The place is just right - clean, comfortable, and beatiful. The service - OUT of this World!!! They provide the most amazing breakfast with a beautiful view to the hotel's garden, and always come back to offer more cafe con leche - what else can you ask for? It's truly an experience. Roberto and Jose are so welcoming and the ladies that work with them as well. I gurantee you that you will leave this hotel pleased and wanting to come back.
Gracias Roberto por la sonrisa en el cafe = ) y a la camarera por no echar mis documentos al cesto ... Espero en un futuro cercano volver!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Reyna B
Reviewed February 17, 2013

If you want 6* service then I would wholeheartedly recommend this great family-run hotel. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very special and all the staff, but especially Roberto and Javier, were really friendly and welcoming. From the freshly-squeezed orange juice in the beautiful hotel garden to the wonderful breakfast (we were full to bursting every morning after the fresh juice, coffee, croissants, toast, tarta de Santiago - local almond cake), everything was of the highest quality and served with a genuine smile. The location of the hotel was great - just inside the old town but away from the noise of the main square. We were given great advice on things to do with the kids (I would recommend the Italian restaurant in the Cancelas shopping mall which has a huge kids' play area and where you can choose from a buffet of about 20 different types of pizza and pasta from about €10 per adult with beer and wine included!) and nothing was too much trouble for our hosts. This really was the best hotel experience I can remember and we wouldn't think of staying anywhere else next time we visit Santiago de Compostela.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 12, 2013

On our way back from Portugal to Madrid w decided to stop in Santiago de Compostela. We booked two rooms last minute based on the reviews here. Let me tell you, you can;t go wrong with Tripadvisor. From the minute I call to inquire for availability I knew this was a different hotel. We arrived at the entrance and spotted the beautiful couryard with a stunning Church in the background, such a nice old world feeling. The hotel has a small reception desk area, very welcoming smiley people and a homey feel. We were upgraded at no extra charge to two Gallery rooms overlooking the garden with its beautiful flowers and trees even in winter, the Church and the Monastery. On every floor they have a sitting area, one for reading and the other one for breakfast...Ohhh breakfast, that was the highlight of our trip. The next morning we got up and started our day with a delicious treat. Robert was our server, a young guy full of energy willing to pleased us. None of our many requests were turned down. Robert brought us fresh bread, tomato, olive oil, delicious croissants, local cheese, hot thick chocolate and perfect cafe con leche...We couldn't believe how good the breakfast was for the price of the room. Location is great, close to shops, restaurants and important sites. The lunch recommendation was fantastic, we ate at La Bodeguilla...Great food, great price with the real local feeling. I will recommend this place to anyone wanting to experience the Galician Flavors. The only little thing I should point out is the fact that the building is a little bit noisy inside, you can hear people going down the stairs and shutting doors, but since we were there for one night only and there were not that many people I should not rate this less than 5 because that didn't stop us from enjoying the place to the fullest. Santiago is a very touching place that you should visit!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MSoca
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We were recently visiting our daughter who is living in Santiago and teaching English in a nearby town. The parents of a friend of hers recommended Costa Vella and after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor our expectations were very high. Not only were our expectations met they were clearly exceeded. We stayed at the hotel twice during our trip with a tour of Spain and side trip to Italy in between. Even before we arrived we were provided a huge Word Doc that had all sorts of info about the town and local area including tips on restaurants as well as things to do and see.

At the start of our trip we stayed on the top floor in a very cute, comfortable room overlooking the garden. The room was a good size and the vaulted ceiling made it feel bigger. At the end of the trip we decided at the last minute not to do a planned trip to Portugal and they were happy to provide accommodations. We were set up in a mini-suite on the second floor. It has a separate sitting area overlooking the garden with a phenomenal view of the Galician country-side. In both cases Roberto and the staff were extremely accommodating and helpful with whatever we needed. As mentioned by others breakfast is served in a cute eating area – it was delicious including a large slice of toasted local bread with tomatoes, olive oil and cheese – yum! If requested, they will also bring fruit, croissants or yogurt. In the evening the sitting area is a great spot to relax and have a glass of local wine before heading out to dinner. All of this for 65 Euro a night including breakfast – truly the best deal of any accommodation in all of our travels! We cannot recommend it highly enough.

A couple of other notes: We were fortunate to be in town for New Year’s Eve. In the plaza in front of the Cathedral they set up a large stage with a great “salsa-type” band. Everyone was given a bunch of grapes and a bag full of hats, masks and noise makers. By midnight the plaza was filled with thousands of revelers to eat 12 grapes to the gongs of the Cathedral bells followed by a fireworks show and lots of dancing and merry- making. It was the best New Years Eve ever! Also, if you have a car I strongly advise a trip out to Finisterre and Muxia – both are awe-inspiring experiences.

Room Tip: As mentioned by others, the rooms facing the garden (away from the street) are nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family