“Charming setting, only surpassed by outstanding service.”
Review of Costa Vella Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santiago de Compostela
Costa Vella Hotel
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We loved this place! We had a balcony room, overlooking the garden, the San Fransican monastery in the foreground and the Galician hills in the distance. Really delightful. The service was outstanding from the moment we arrived and I can't recall ever coming across better. EVERY member of staff did there best to please and seemed to take genuine pleasure from being as helpful as possible. If you could bottle customer service, they'd be selling this lot in Harrods!
In the room, the fairly small sleeping area was complemented by a further "mini suite" / dressing area on the enclosed balcony (a feature of Galicia architecture). Spotlessly clean, bottled water and basket of sweets toppped up every day, very acceptable.
The garden is a little oasis and really charming. We ate breakfast out here twice and it is very popular, particularly with locals before dinner, for a drink and a few complimentry crisps/nuts/olives. Certainly no rowdies and if you enjoy the sound of people relaxing and enjoying themselves, the slight background sound this creates is actually quite pleasant...dare I say enticing!
Coming back to the breakfast, very simple but really delicious. Served in either the small breakfast room, the garden or the balcony overlooking the garden on the firts floor, we really looked forward to it every day. The toast with oil, fresh tomato sauce and local cheese just has to be sampled....over and over again! Add the toasted croissants, almond cake, great coffee and the amazing staff...it really was very good.
I have to concede that the comments made in or or two of the other reviews regarding the rather noisy staircase are fair and it did wake us on a couple of occasions. A simple carpet runner (maybe not very traditional in Galicia!) would cure 99% of the problem. However, a bit of concideration from those using it late at night/early in the morning would also go a long way to curing the problem. It certainly wouldn't stop us from returning, that's for sure.....and we will!

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony (actually enclosed) overlooking the garden definitely worth the small supplement.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank NickH46

Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is by far the best little hotel we have ever stayed at in 5 trips abroad. They can't do enough for each and every guest! Rooms are spotless and the hotel has a bar where you can have refreshments with free covert. Fresh squeezes orange juice starts the morning off while church bells peel. Coffee is by la machine....so perfect!!! Tea is HOT! Service is 5 STAR!! Great people.

Room Tip: just tell them what you want and they will please you... They wanted to move us to a bigger room th...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Following a 40 kilometre walk along the Camino Ingles into Santiago de Compostela from Bruma we were dead on our feet and ready to fall over. We chanced our luck by sticking our head into the reception area and thankfully met Roberto. The hotel was fully booked but he took control and showed us immediately across to an apartment across the road. Despite having a shared bathroom nobody occupied the other room so it was as good as an en suite as you could get anyway. Price - excellent. The staff, and expecially Roberto were fantastic and I recommend this hotel solely based on the level of service and personal attention we received from these guys...second to none and if I ever am lucky enough to return to this wonderful city I will make sure I book well in advance!
The room was comfortable for two weary Pilgrims and the shared bathroom was faultless.
Even if you're in Santiago go and spend an hour in the beautiful garden at the back of the hotel and have a coffee!
Fantastico!!!
Well done Roberto and the rest of your colleagues, we'll be back!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank m00nman1972
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in a room overlooking the garden and hills beyond. The only negative is that the hot afternoon sun made the room hot and stuffy. I cannot say enough about the staff who were all so friendly and caring. The location is very convenient being just on the edge of the old town. We would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Mash49
Reviewed September 7, 2012

The hotel is in agreat position on a pedestrian area of the town. A public car park is close by and you get a reduced rate of about 9euros per day if you get your card stamped at the hotel. Great position, fantastic garden and a service that makes you feel like a VIP. The staff were consistently helpful, polite and attentive. I really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank MoAllen
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I liked everything about this hotel except one thing.
The staff are brilliant. The decor, design, craftsmanship in the fitting out, all first rate.
Good hot shower, plenty of water pressure.
Really I can only fault the fact that it is child friendly. I realise thats a definate plus for some people, but when the back garden is a creche it gets very noisy. It drove us out tonight and we stayed away til 8:30 til it had quietened down.
I know, I'm a grumpy old man. But if you want peace and quiet this is not the place to come. Other than that - really good (despite the car park being at the bottom of a steep hill!).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paul H
Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in a single room. I booked via email and was offered the choice of two rooms. I chose the slightly larger, "noisier" room. I was very happy with my stay in terms of the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff as well as the location and cleanliness of the room. The breakfast was very tasty and worth the €5.50 even though I know you can get it cheaper elsewhere. The noise though really got me down and I did not sleep well either night. The noise was from people leaving the hotel from 5.30am on and also the noise of cars on the cobble stones. The receptionist did apologise and it was not their fault but for this reason only I would stay elsewhere next time, sorry!

• Stayed: August 2012