“Very good value for money but very noisy air conditioning”
Review of Hotel Congreso

Hotel Congreso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This hotel is located in a quiet location just off the AC-841 in a tiny place called San Sadurnino. It is about 5km by road from the historic centre of Santiago de Compostela, which is a wonderful city for the tourist to visit. It is within easy reach of motorways and main roads and makes a good base for touring Galicia by car. It is only a few minutes drive from Santiago (depending on the traffic, the centre of Santiago can get congested at times) but it is not a hotel I would consider if I did not have a car.

It is very good value for money, the room sizes are reasonable, the beds are comfortable and there is free parking. The staff were friendly and helpful. The daytime receptionists spoke English but not the night time receptionist I spoke to (I don't know about all of them). Staff at breakfast and the chambermaids spoke limited or no English (but it was not a problem). Most of the guests were Spanish. There are very large plasma (and possibly LCD) televisions in the bedrooms, very much larger than in any other hotel we have stayed in, although we did not watch it much because the only English speaking station was Bloomberg, the financial channel. There is an outdoor swimming pool in the garden but we did not use it.

However, there were a few drawbacks. The main one was the air conditioning. It might not be so bad in cooler weather but we were there in July in very hot weather. In the first room we had it did not work properly and was very noisy. Although it worked better in the room we changed to, it was even noisier. These were both far noisier than in any hotels I have ever stayed in. The buffet breakfast was average, perfectly acceptable, certainly not as good as the best 4 star hotels we have used in Spain but definitely not the worst. Why do they not provide desert spoons, only teaspoons for eating breakfast? Eating cereals with teaspoons is ridiculous! We did not have any other meals at the hotel but did look at the menu which offered a fairly average selection and if I remember correctly a 3 course meal was 15 Euros a head, not as cheap as some places in Santiago but reasonable for a 4 star hotel.

Its location is correctly shown on Google maps (by typing Hotel Congreso, Santiago de Compostela). Although the directions given on the hotel's website are I think correct, the GPS co-ordinates it gives are incorrect according to my GPS. The hotel sign is not that prominent when coming from the Santiago direction and it could easily be missed but turn right immediately after the Cepsa petrol station.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nigel W

Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I went to Santiago de Compostela for our honeymoon and stayed at Hotel Congreso for 3 days and 2 nights. It was a very long trip from Singapore, but I do say it was well worth it because we enjoyed our stay very much! Loved the interior design with its inviting soft ambiance, which put us at ease after a very long trip. Even with such comfortable and soothing surroundings, it wasn’t overshadowed by the modern facilities that were provided by the hotel. When we were shown our room, it was really spacious and comfortable with a slight taste of hominess to it. Everyone at the hotel was very helpful and courteous, as expected of a 4 star hotel. My only complain was the morning meal being served in the hotel’s restaurant, Oseira Buffet. It wasn’t really up to my expectations. We were looking forward for traditional Spanish breakfast but were disappointed to see the normal English breakfast like eggs and sausages. We made a complained about the matter but since we had our breakfast out from there on, we don’t know whether they have improved on their food after that.

Overall, my husband and I truly enjoyed our stay here and we highly recommend this hotel if you visit Santiago de Compostela!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2013

First and foremost I love Spain. I used to go at least twice a year when I was younger but this time it seemed even better. Me and my girlfriend had decided to venture Spain again and had finally decided to head north-west. We chose Hotel Congreso as it was highly recommended by a Spanish friend of mine and the entire viewing looked marvellous and I wasn't wrong about that! When we arrived at the hotel straight away the service was warm very kind and informative. Maybe it was our friendly attitude but we were given an incredible view which made the holiday even better. If you wanted to venture into town, it would probably be more ideal to hop on a bus but the receptionist offered a verity of suitable options for nearby locations so you wouldn't have to worry so much about that. My girlfriend LOVED the swimming pool and we also saw some pets which were a little unusual but we did see a very cute dog! Overall I would have to say, for anyone looking for a small break this is the ideal place. It’s not in a very busy area which gives you some stress-free space and you would feel very comfortable with everyone’s friendly service. We couldn't more than happy with Hotel Congresso :-)

Room Tip: We chose a Standard Room but it seemed even better than most I've experienced!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SteveBr0wn
Reviewed March 3, 2013

It was perfect for our family as we wanted to take the dog and they are a very dog friendly hotel, with plenty of beautiful space nearby to walk in too. A lovely quiet location yet not too far away from the beautiful city of Santiago de Compostela where we spent many great evenings, highly recommend the Dezaseis restaurant in the San Pedro region ;). The hotel was always a hive of activity yet due to the size of it you could always find a quiet corner somewhere to relax be that in the sauna, by the pool or in your room. We had a few problems navigating around the area by public transport (plan in advance to avoid getting lost!) but other than that it was all good!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank richardson27
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We flew into Santiago de Compostela in Spain with my family for our annual holiday, we had always wanted to go to Spain and this year we finally did it! I have to admit we did spend the first day and a half lounging around the pool, soaking in the sun and relaxing we also enjoyed strolling through the garden. On our second day after our leisurely sleep in (hey we were on holidays!) we then went off to explore the nearby sacred Art Museum what an amazing place had a meal near the Toural Square area, ohhh loved the fountain! Another day we spent the day shopping at El Corte Ingles and I still don't think we saw every single shop in there it was huge! We were certainly grateful for the pool on our return to just jump in and cool down and rest our tired feet from the day! We didn’t really know the area although I made sure to find as much information before we left for Spain but I shouldn’t have worried about all of that because the staff at our hotel were so friendly and gave us plenty of helpful advice that made our holiday an exciting one in a strange but an amazing place, we really did enjoy ourselves so much I really do think we have to return there again. The only downside to staying at this hotel was the fact that it was a little further away than I thought to activities in the town if we could just move it over a little bit it would be perfect!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Ok, so the superior rooms make you feel like a million bucks! It’s sort of being at home accept a whole lot better. I have never seen such a great bathroom; It doesn’t really have the feel of a hotel room. The beds decorations and just the whole room as a whole has a homey feeling. Sort of like a home away from home. Not to mention they have a great mini bar, free Wi-Fi and great people to help you with what you need. Room service is amazing, for all you get and the friendly and comfortable staff the prices are pretty amazing too. The food is pretty amazing too, very appealing to look at and very tasty. I love to swim and I was really glad they had a pool, but I think is could have been a bit bigger. I didn’t realize at first but they also have a garden area. One other thing too, is that I think their website could be layed out a bit better. It was a little challenging to find everything, but then again I’m not that great with a computer.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 23, 2013

When I originally planned to have a destination wedding, I was not sure that I would be able to get everything that I wanted in. Booking with Hotel Congreso was the best decision because not only is it a lovely resort, they made my wedding absolutely gorgeous and I did not have to worry about the details at all.
They set up a nice private area for our guests to sit and enjoy this lovely day with us and we were able to fit all of our friends and family into the large banquet room they provide. The chef prepared a lovely dinner for our guests and us and I cannot express how grateful I am for all of the hard work the hotel put into making this a perfect day for my new husband and I.
We were originally in a superior room, but a few days before our wedding the hotel offered us a free upgrade to an executive room as a wedding gift.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple