“Great place in the city centre”
Review of San Jaime

San Jaime
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Great food and atmosphere. Particularly enjoyed the fact that we ate on the 1st floor, with a window view over the little park outside. Staff were super friendly and helpful (we were there with our 1 year old daughter). Definetly worth a visit if spending a few days in Santiago

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Near the end of the holiday we struck pay dirt. On one far corner of the same plaza as the Restaurante Barbantes stands the discretely tucked-away Restaurante San Jaime. We stood outside scrutinising the menu, liked what we saw and decided to wait a while for it to open. When we asked for another table to be prepared for us outside, from a stack of them against one wall, the waiter said curtly, ‘No, you cannot.’ At that stage we almost walked away, until we realised what was aggravating him; lying on the fenced-off newly-seeded earth in front of the place was a portly youngster dressed in dark blue shorts and T-shirt, cradling his head.
I liked the way the management handled the situation by talking to him quietly, giving him a bottle of fresh water to sip from, and then helping him inside after brushing his clothes down. After a few minutes, he was capable of walking unaided, and with his head held high he walked off down Rua Franco. No police, no fuss, a well-handled situation with someone who had drunk too much. The ants would have feasted on him.
We were guided upstairs to a smartly presented, well-spaced out L-shaped room, to find we were the first to enter. Unlike where we live in Spain, restaurant opening times seem to start from 7pm onwards, when staff come into work on the evening shift. They also seem to close around 11pm, which is far better that eating up until midnight as the norm.
I chose a lobster as my main course, without bothering with stomach-filling starters or bread. My lady boss chose a sole (“lenguado”). We also ordered steamed new potatoes, knowing the Spanish custom of not providing accompanying vegetables unless one orders a “combinado”. The little beauty was presented to me on a plate, its taped claws beating a tune on the surface as it pushed what I assumed to be its tongue out at me in a Maori greeting. I looked at it fondly before bidding it farewell as it was withdrawn before it could inflict physical damage on me.
When it returned, it had been surgically parted down the middle and its shell was a bright red colour. I used the fork that was provided to remove the meat from each half of the main shells in one piece (I’d never done it before), and enjoyed the exquisite taste of freshly cooked lobster for the first time, served in this way. It was sublime, and I barely had the room left to extract the meat from the claws and other appendages using chrome-plated pliers, while the boss looked on disgusted by my display of gluttony.
She herself was eating a rather large plaice that looked as if it would need a shovel to turn over and eat the meat on its reverse side (see the photos), so for me it was case of the pot calling the kettle names. Afterwards, we had nondescript desserts that I can scarcely remember (oh yes, I ordered fresh strawberries with cream).
The wine too was superb, and the prices we paid in total for this feast was 80 euros, 37 of which were for my lobster.
Was there a fly in the ointment? Yes; I asked for mayonnaise to accompany my main course. What did they do? They slapped a dirty old partially used plastic bottle of the stuff on the table and ran away. The lack of finesse in this part of Spain seems to be widespread, but an even better night was ahead of us in the Diezseis restaurant in Rua San Pedro, kilometres away.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

By Plaza de Galicia, this restaurant was a very good choice. It did not seem too touristic and the food was great. Staff spoke English and were knowledgeable.

1  Thank Jasmin D
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I usually go there after a tour visit and some customers love the place as well for the atmosphere, the great and fresh razor clams or just to have a beer with friends.

1  Thank Italopendola
Reviewed December 10, 2012

San Jaime is on a side street, Rua de Raina and worth walking around to locate it. They have an outdoors restaurant facing on the park, and an upstairs dining room. The service was prompt, the meal worth the stop. We had fantastic paella. The waiters pretended to understand my terrible Spanish, and were fun to talk with. The prices were very reasonable with a good wine list.

2  Thank Jim F