“No regard for guests safety”
Review of Avenida Hotel

Avenida Hotel
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in La Coruna
London, United Kingdom
“No regard for guests safety”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed here Sunday 25th November and had chosen this hotel for its proximity to the train station - it is in fact very close, only a three minute walk - if you go the right way!

I had a very early start the morning after I was staying here as I had to get the first train - I chose this hotel as I figured I may as well try and get as much sleep as possible. I checked out around 5am and asked the man on reception which direction the train station was. On the face of it he seemed very helpful, he came outside and explained to me in detail about where the train station was. I had given myself a good 20/30 minutes to get the to station just in case as I don't like to be hurried so when I followed his instructions and could not find a footbridge I returned to the hotel and asked him to clarify his directions which he then changed completely. Again I followed these instructions and seemed to be no nearer to the train station. I found two men in the street waiting for a bus and asked them and they sent me in the correct direction at last.

I finally arrived at the station too late to get my train and extremely annoyed as it appeared he had given me completely wrong directions - this was clarified when I arrived home and google streetmapped the route. He had sent me in the opposite direction twice.

While this would have been frustrating during the day or when travelling with someone else I was travelling on my own and it was pitch black still. There were very few people or cars around the street and I felt extremely unsafe as I don't know the city very well at all.

I speak fluent Spanish and this man was also pointing with his hands - there is no way I misunderstood his directions but I really felt very unsafe that morning. The fact that he sent a young woman out on her own in an unknown city, seemingly intentionally, in the wrong direction boggles my mind.

Aside from this experience the hotel was really very basic. The room was quite cold but the receptionist who had checked me in was extremely friendly.

I had actually booked this hotel for two Sundays in a row as I had to make the same trip 2 weeks in a row. Unfortunately the room was already prepaid and couldn't be cancelled but I made other plans as after my last experience I didn't want to go near this hotel again.

I think they really need to look at their staff as this man obviously see's it as acceptable to gamble with the safety of guests at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank babsontour

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The hotel is within easy walking distance from the train station as well as from the bus station. It is a typical business hotel with little 'ambiance'. The main road into A Coruna is also right in front of the hotel, I am not sure whether there is a parking garage. Otherwise parking may become a problem. The road is rather noisy but the windows, when closed, block the nose effectively.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Frans M
London, UK
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights in May 2012. It is a three-minute easy walk from the railway station and set back from the main road. I was not disturbed by any noise. The Reception staff speak good English and are helpful with it. Guidance & maps are offered for both this city and Santiago de Compostela, an easy train excursion away. Although convenient for the station, this hotel is a fair distance from the harbours and sights etc. However a frequent bus service from the corner opposite the station enables this. I was given a double-bed in a reasonable sized room with a good sized shower-room. Very clean and everything worked.Their was room-controlled air-con but I opened the window and was not disturbed by any noise outside. There is a restaurant/bar with food available throughout the day and I tried it several times. However the restaurant closes in the early evening until 8:30pm - Spanish custom - so there are only sandwiches etc during this time. Nevertheless the 'Meal of the day' was a bargain. Altogether a reasonable 3* hotel.

One point of caution: if you book through one of the Agencies and the hotel debits your Card account in advance, do check to see if they have billed you for 'Optionals' which is Breakfast at €11. If so, on arrival immediately discuss what it consists of and whether you will need it or not. Otherwise you might need the Agency to get it refunded.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank oldcodgerLondon_UK
Valencia-spain
Reviewed September 9, 2006

We needed somewhere to stay the night before going home so this hotel was perfect to get our heads down and head out into the city of la coruna for dinner. The hotel is situated on the main carriage way in the slightly poorer end of La coruna so isnt in the prettiest of locations but its really modern, quiet and has its own reasonably priced resturant. We just turned up and booked on the day.
The room cost 63Euros. The bathroom is divided from the bedroom with frosted glass and the room has everything you could need there´s also a glass desk with internet connection in every room.

I would recommend this hotel highly as its a stones throw from the main bus station, Train station, el Corte ingles, and 20 minutes to La coruna airport. A very short stroll and there´s loads of bars and resturants. ideal for the budget traveller or professional. would stay again - georgina

• Liked — convenient to the airport, very stylish, modern and clean. fab shower!
  • Disliked — no information for tourists although the receptionist was helpful
  • Tips/Secrets — dont bother looking for tourist information points there arnt any! apart from the other side of the city
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank norg-girl