“Delicious food but not quite Michelin Star service”
Review of Artabria

Artabria
Ranked #5 of 1,200 Restaurants in La Coruna
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 24, 2018

Don't misunderstand the title of this review. The service was good, but if this restaurant aspires to have a Michelin star, then the service did not quite reach that level. Specifically, at a Michelin star restaurant one should not have to pour their own wine and water from the bottles on the table, but after the first glass of each was poured for us, we had to pour the subsequent glasses. My husband and I ate here at the end of September, 2018. The decor is elegant. We started by sharing the Tempura de Pulpo which is octopus in a tempura coating. Let me say that this dish was presented at what I consider to be an elevated level. The plates themselves were quite attractive and the pulpo was covered with a creamy sauce sprinkled with paprika. All of this was served over mashed potatoes. Absolutely delicious. For our second dish we shared paletilla de cordero asado (roasted lamb shoulder) which was served with delicious thinly sliced potatoes and pimientos de Padron (often called Spanish roulette because the peppers are almost all mild, but occasionally there is a hot pepper mixed in--but even those are not extremely hot). The meat was cooked perfectly and was delicious. They have a nice wine list as well, and we shared a very good Matarromera, a red wine from the Ribera del Duero region. For dessert we shared the tiramisu, which was excellent. I highly recommend you try this restaurant if you are in A Coruña.

Date of visit: September 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,299)

Reviewed August 16, 2018 via mobile

Food is amazing however it looks like they want to go too far with their creations getting a little confused with the salads. Please use natural pine apple for your house salad.
Personnel are very friendly and professional.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed July 26, 2018 via mobile

We ordered the 5 course tasing menu and so glad we did so. Ample food - so much so that I finished some of my wives that she couldn’t quite manage! Began with an amuse bouche which was divine. Tomato, strawberry and watermelon! Served in a cute wee enamel mug. Then onto the serious stuff. The fois gras balls were coated in a raspberry gel on pistachio crumb. Superb and also you know sometimes there can be too much fois gras when it’s so rich. This was perfect. Then onto prawns wrapped in angle hair noodles - clever. Followed by tuna and beef cheeks then a deconstructed cheesecake on a jar to finish. Great service with a smile and we did have some fun with our waiter! And the tasting menu was €33!!!

Date of visit: July 2018
1  Thank MichaelNapier
Reviewed July 25, 2018 via mobile

We arrived early and saw the emergence of the restaurant, it quickly filled with locals old and young, and for good reasons. Going for the taster menu proved an excellent choice, with innovative and well-balanced concepts throughout, accompanied by an excellent white Ribeiro. Friendly and efficient staff, good atmosphere, reasonable prices. A must if you’re a foodie, I’ll certainly be back next time in Galicia.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed January 7, 2018

It was our 2nd time visiting Artabria, and what prompted us to write a review is the excellent service received and outstanding food served. It is the best restaurant in A Coruña overall, in terms of value and quality.

For our first visit, we had the menu de degustación which is a fantastic offering and a must-have for first timers at 33€ per person (we intend to try it again as they do switch up the options). There were no exorbitant markups on the Albariño wine (if you're curious to try some beforehand, the brand that they serve is the "Conde de Albarei")

We had a lovely 2nd visit, and what stood out for us was that the waiter first asked whether my wife and I were sharing. We assumed that they would just bring us extra plates as most establishments would, but they took it a step better and split our main dishes. So we had two plates of the sirloin steak and two plates of the dry aged rib dish, Genius! We rate the sirloin steak very highly. The fabulously tender medium steak was coated with a delicious port wine sauce, accentuated by the buttery foie. Exquisite!
I must also mention that the ribs were possibly the best I've eaten, so tender and juicy. They were also kind enough to entertain our request for more of their exquisite barbeque sauce.
Finally, their Bombon XL dessert was quite decadent. at 5.50€ it was a really proper portion size and my wife was enchanted. She now wishes to stop by every week!

Date of visit: January 2018