“Deserving of its Michelin Plate designation”
Review of Artabria

Artabria
Ranked #6 of 1,199 Restaurants in La Coruna
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 7, 2018

It was our 2nd time visiting Artabria, and what prompted us to write a review is the excellent service received and outstanding food served. It is the best restaurant in A Coruña overall, in terms of value and quality.

For our first visit, we had the menu de degustación which is a fantastic offering and a must-have for first timers at 33€ per person (we intend to try it again as they do switch up the options). There were no exorbitant markups on the Albariño wine (if you're curious to try some beforehand, the brand that they serve is the "Conde de Albarei")

We had a lovely 2nd visit, and what stood out for us was that the waiter first asked whether my wife and I were sharing. We assumed that they would just bring us extra plates as most establishments would, but they took it a step better and split our main dishes. So we had two plates of the sirloin steak and two plates of the dry aged rib dish, Genius! We rate the sirloin steak very highly. The fabulously tender medium steak was coated with a delicious port wine sauce, accentuated by the buttery foie. Exquisite!
I must also mention that the ribs were possibly the best I've eaten, so tender and juicy. They were also kind enough to entertain our request for more of their exquisite barbeque sauce.
Finally, their Bombon XL dessert was quite decadent. at 5.50€ it was a really proper portion size and my wife was enchanted. She now wishes to stop by every week!

Date of visit: January 2018
2  Thank MrShinyBuddha
Write a ReviewReviews (1,298)

Reviewed September 28, 2017 via mobile

In so many (we were 15) we went to this restaurant without reservation and, after some hesitation, we were greeted with cordiality (bonus). We tried a selection of crustacean appetizers (shrimps, grilled saintjacques, fried octopus ...) and a main dish (I tried angler and cheese: really good!) to end up with a chocolate cake. With 4 bottles of A cova do lebre ribeiro 2016 and one of sherry Hechizo Pedro Ximénez 2008 (but you can choose in a quite large list of wines, with a lot of Spanish producers). Just a little more than 35 € each. Highly recommendable!

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed September 20, 2017

We sat in a slightly make shift table in the main entrance at this restaurant having not booked in advance. So glad we did though as the main courses were some of the best dishes we've had. The starter let it down a bit. It was a nice idea of a shellfish parcel in wonton pastry but the delivery of it was too heavy handed, the flavours a bit dull and the portion size far too big.

That said, it was one mediocre dish in a meal of real class. The wine was superb and the bill, at about 85 euros for one starter, two mains and one dessert followed by dessert wine and coffee did not feel expensive. That's the thing in a Coruna, you really can eat well on a budget and even the most expensive places feel like value for money. If I lived in a Coruna I'd definitely be back.

Date of visit: September 2017
1  Thank UKLouG
Reviewed July 16, 2017 via mobile

If it wasn't for all the things mentioned in the title of this review then this would be a nice restaurant!

We were shown to our table, it was as if we had imposed on them by arriving.

They gave my husband the wrong starter and when we told them we were looked at as if it was our fault. We ordered an aperitif and they tried to pour our wine along side this ! Then after we had been served our main courses we didn't see the waiter again, we poured our own wine.

My starter was very good, toast with tomato and ham. The starters were very large portions and the mains were smaller (better portion size).

My risotto was supposed to have mushrooms in it, could see them of taste them and it was quite salty.

We were guests of someone else and he did leave a tip, if I had paid then I would not have done so due to the non existent service.

Food looked nice and was well presented, shame about the flavour!

Date of visit: July 2017
3  Thank MariaWads
Reviewed February 3, 2017 via mobile

I was here with a large group of colleagues (40 plus). The food and service was excellent throughout.

Date of visit: February 2017