“Excellent location and amenities”

Hotel Ceuta Puerta de Africa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ceuta
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Tryp Ceuta has an excellent location next to all useful places in the city.
Staff is very helpful
Don't hesitate to have lunch or dinner at its restaurant, very delightful meal !

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 1, 2012

A very elegant hotel, with some design elements. It is clean and the rooms are spacious. Teh breakfast is excellent. There was a problem with the wifi: When I arrived there, I wanted to confirm that there is wifi available and free of charge, but the receptionist told me that they have problems with the rooter that provides access in the rooms and that hopefully they could fix it within the day. The wifi never worked in my room until I left the room.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We stayed two nights at Tryp Ceuta in December. As there is not a lot of choices of accommodations in Ceuta, we chose this hotel because it was number 1 on Tripadvisor. I guess Tryp's rank is only due to the lack of accommodations in Ceuta...

The hotel is facing three problems, two of which are easily fixable. First, all the carpets in the hotel are quite dated, to not say dirty, even in the rooms (I can tell, I saw several ones). It is not acceptable for a hotel that is claiming to be four stars. Second, the service is polite, but amateurish. The staff knows how to greet the guests and to register them, but for the rest, they don't seem to know how to do things. Most of the staff is friendly, but they lack training. As Tryp is part of the Melia group, training sessions should not be too difficult to organize and the hotel would benefit it. To be fair, most of the staff spoke several languages quite well.

Otherwise, the lobby of the hotel is very nice and the rooms are well modernly decorated. Had I not faced those two fixable problems, I would have gave four stars to this hotel and I would recommend it. But because of the third problem, I don't.

The hotel has a sewer problem, which causes important odors in many rooms. When we noticed the odor in the room that we were first given, we told the staff and asked to change. We were propoosed a few rooms. The ones facing the main street didn't seem to have the odor problem, but they were noisy. The ones facing the small street were quiet, but quite smelly! We chose a room with the smell problem but that could be ventilated easily. It helped, but the odor was never very far. I'm not a difficult traveller, but frankly, I took my shower as fast as I could, because the smell was...disgusting! I understand that this kind of problem is difficult to fix, but it should be looked at.

Visiting Ceuta, which is charming by the way, we did notice some sewer odors, so maybe it is a generalized problem. Maybe the other accomodations in town have the same problem but if I go back to Ceuta, I will try another hotel, which is what I recommend you to do.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the main street are noisy, and the rooms facing the small street are smelly, your c...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Marie-Christine P
Reviewed August 10, 2011

This hotel is conveniently located near all the restaurants and shops. Actually Ceuta is so small that most hotels are near each other. This one is a good choice if you have a lot of luggage to carry, since the taxis line up across the street from here. The front desk staff are very nice and helpful, in fact everyone in Ceuta is. We spent one night here after traveling around Morocco for one week. The next day we walked about 10 minutes to the ferry terminal to get on the ferry to Algeciras. You can easily pay around 5 euros for the taxi ride if you have to much luggage.

Room Tip: Request high floor for the view
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2011

1. No Air Conditioning - Do you think they tell you that when making a reservation?
2. The result of number 1 is a claustrophobic and stifling dung hole the size of a closet, the only way in which to reconcile is to open a window....."Ah fresh air." Of course, the relief is temporary because the Spanish, late night boppers that they are, enjoy themselves until 6am in the morning. This means you can either have a stiflingly hot and miserable sleepless night, or a cool and miserable sleepless night listening to teenie boppers and drunks all night.
3. The individual who chose to put leather pillows on the bed should be punched in the face for stupidity.
4. This hotel is an abomination. It is a scourge upon the planet. It ruined what was otherwise an extremely enjoyable day in Ceuta.
5. The front desk acknowledged both that the air conditioning was inoperative and that the noise level was a problem. My question was "Did you have other rooms available?" Clerk, "Yes." "Why did you put us in a that room?" Clerk, "(while shrugging idiotically) I don't know."

Of course you don't, dear. Thinking is evidently not a prerequisite for employment with Tryp Ceuta.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2011

We had to spend one night in Ceuta and the Tryp was perfect for what we needed. The rooms are comfortable, the service was professional and helpful.
We didn't try the restaurant or the pool and spa facilities but would have if we'd had more time.
This is a modern, well-appointed chain hotel. The location is great too, plus they have parking.
The only criticism was that the room information booklet said the rooms had safes, and bathrobes and they had neither. It also said there was a business centre but there was not. However the receptionist kindly let us use her computer instead.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank FarachaFes
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We stayed at the Tryp Hotel in Ceuta for one night on our way from Morocco to Spain.
The hotel is modern, bright and comfortable. The bathroom is large and the bedroom is a reasonable size. Very comfortable bed. The hotel is conveniently located.
We had a good dinner in the hotel dining room. The hotel is not memorable in any way, but it's a good place to stay if you're staying the night in Ceuta.
The staff at the Tourist Office nearby were very friendy and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Metroviv
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ceuta
Ulises Hotel
Sofitel Tamuda Bay Beach & Spa
Meson de Sancho
Meson de Sancho
#5 of 19 in Tarifa

Been to Hotel Ceuta Puerta de Africa? Share your experiences!