“Clean, comfortable and inexpensive”

Hotel SB Express Tarragona
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Tarragona
Pico Rivera, California
“Clean, comfortable and inexpensive”
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Our room was spacious and clean and the beds were comfortable. The hotel was in a quiet location and we felt very safe walking back to our hotel at the end of a night out.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Korean first
Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We stayed one night at the SB Express on our way to southern Spain for a family vacation. We booked a 4 person room, queen-sized bed and pull-out sofa bed. The pull-out sofa bed was actually one of the best I have every experienced. The staff was efficient and got the job done, but not overly friendly. The breakfast was probably the low point of the stay, but adequate. Parking was across the street, but convenient enough. Would recommend the hotel for a short stay, good price to quality.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
AlexHereza, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel SB Express Tarragona, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Dear Jozek444,

Thank you very much for your nice comments. We are glad you had a nice stay with us.Hope to see you again. Best Regards, Alex Hereza
belgium
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Far from the centrum this hotel,not friendly at all.
no fridge in the room.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed August 1, 2010

The reason our stay was so disappointing was the air-conditioning they advertise was not working at all our entire stay. There was no mention of this on the website when we booked which I believe is done on purpose so as not to discourage business but it is this reason we will never stay with SB Express hotels again! It seemed as though the air-con had not been working for a while and there was not set time for it being fixed. They lied to us several times when we asked about it. One time saying it was working a little, a second time saying they had a new part installed but it did not seem to be working, a third tme saying they were waiting for a part and a fourth time saying they expected someone would be coming to fix it in the next few days. One man on the reception did once admit it was not working, but no one else would say this, only saying one of the above things.
They would not help us at all, we did not sleep barely at all either night we stayed and checked out two days earlier than expected. They would not give us ice for cold drinks to make up for the heat in the room, would not provide a fan instead and did not even apologise any of the times we asked about the air-con. Even when we checked out two days early they did not apologise when we informed them of the reason for the early departure. No service, no smile, they did not even pretend to be sorry for the disappointing stay we had. No c ompensation offered at all!!

There also appeared to be bed bugs in our room as both my partner and myself had bites all over us when we woke up each morning which were not there the night before. I believe it was this hotel´s fault.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Aroae, Gerente at Hotel SB Express Tarragona, responded to this review, August 3, 2010
First of all, I am very sorry about your dissapointing. It is true that our air-conditioning was working only at 50% during 4 or 5 days. This is not our fault, it happened, and it was repared as soon as it was possible. This is a big machine with 2 compressors, and 1 of them was not working. It is a big reparation, of a big sume of money, and it was repared in less than 1 week in JULY!. (BUT it was working,50%, but working). It was explained each guest arrival and due to that reason, we gave during those days 2 keys for each room (one to open the door and one to be installed during 24 hours in the room. This was the solution during those days to "cool" the room).
If i had knew about that, I had looked for a solution, sure.
But bed bugs???? where??? I am very sorry but this is not true!! Coult you tell us your room number to check it? (this happened last year due to a guest ! it was not our fault, but it was solutioned. If you know about that theme you will understand me.
I apologise for your dissapointing. Please, contact direct wit me, sandra Salas, Hotel manager, and i give you a free stay to check that it was a puntual problem that has been solutioned, and you can write again here about your stay. And.. you will see that THERE IS NOT BED BUGS!I wait for your answer as soon as possible.
email: ssalas@sbgrup.com
New York
Reviewed November 16, 2009

Have stayed at this hotel several times and was always one of my favorites in Spain (travel with bands throughout Spain). However, this past Saturday (Nov. 15, 2009) I was attacked by bedbugs (I actually saw them).

Have been to the emergency room twice due to my allergic reaction: was given a shot and am now on steroids. I called the hotel and told them about my awful experienc. After 24hrs I am still waiting for a call back.

In short, if you stay at this hotel search for bedbugs. I stayed with 12 musicians and only I had an allergic reaction (not sure if there were bedbugs in the other rooms or if none of my colleagues are allergic to bedbug bites).

FYI, my room number was 407.

I WOULD NOT SAY AT THE SB AGAIN AND RISK GOING THROOUGH WHAT I AM GOING THROUGH NOW... A NIGHTMARE!!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank tapena
Aroae, DIRECTORA HOTEL at Hotel SB Express Tarragona, responded to this review, November 24, 2009
I was talking by phone with Mr. Pena last 18th november. I explained him that I could not contact before because I have been mamá and i was no working when he phone me. I explained him that we phoned to ETHYCA, a plague specialist firma and they confirmed it.They explained that the reason for that, in our case, it was not dirtiness, because everything is very clean.(that proves Mr.Pena has repeat in our hotel several times). Only, that, one guest got caught in his suitcase, only for that, it could be the reason. What is true is that was he first time it happens since the hotel opened in 2002.We closed all the floor during 1 week with a treatment, and we renoved all furniture (bed, matress, blanket, towels,sheets..).Mr Pena understood everyhting and accepted my apologizes. Next time he comes back to our hotel, his reservation will be free. I accepted it.
London
Reviewed November 10, 2009

My wife and I booked this hotel for 27pounds per night, in October 2009. We were nervous of this as this rate was so cheap, but were very pleased with the stay we had here. The hotel is very clean, is in a very nice and safe area and the room we had was huge (which was just a standard double). Parking was available on the street but be warned the spanish tend to bumper park their cars so be prepared for a mark if you are going too.

The hotel is in an area being developed so there is some construction going on nearby, it didnt bother us, but their was some noise from it. This might explain the hotel rate. I would guess that most of the construction would be finished by early 2010, as a lot looked almost done.

Our room had a good double bed, safe, widescreen TV (CNN English), seperate sofa pullout and aircon. Bathroom had an excellent shower with good pressure and was very clean. Rooms were made up well every day.

Location is probably a 2-3k walk to the beach. About 1.5k to the town, but the walk is easy along a brand new promenade. Yes its not right in town, which is why the location rating is only a 3, but its really no problem.

Service was very good, didnt really need to use them that much but when we did speak to reception they were very nice. Spoke English too which was a bonus.

Value was simply outstanding.

Check out the pictures of the hotel on google images, as they give a better representation of the hotel, i thought the ones on trip advisor made the hotel look like it was in a dark and dingy area which it isnt at all.

WiFi is available for free throughout the hotel. There is a computer point which you have to pay for (8e per hour or something). There are internet cafes in tarragona for 1e per hour nearby.

The breakfast was included in the price and was pretty good. Nice coffee, and continental food, standard for budget hotels. We ordered a couple of other things from the cafe which were reasonably priced and good. The cafe is very smokey though, due to them allowance cigarette´s inside, which might be a problem for some. All rooms and inside the hotel are non smoking.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RichnKel
London
Reviewed August 23, 2009

A group of us were arriving at 7.30pm in Barcelona and heading south to Benicassim Festival. Needed somewhere cheap and cheerful along the way to stay over night and this was a perfect choice. A new hotel on the outskirts of town just off the Autopista so easily accessible and we were able to park on the street outside (but there was a parking building opposite as well). We booked a quad and a triple - the only downfall was that we were single travellers so two of us had to share a bed. Not the end of the world given we were going to be camping together for 5 days! Would definetely recommend this for people doing similar journey. Apparently Tarragona is a lovely town but we only saw it at night. We did get a taxi down to the harbour for dinner as it seemed quite far away, but we did walk back which took about half an hour. So not ideal if wanting to explore Tarragona and be in the thick of it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends