“The secret is out!”
Review of Palau del Baro

Palau del Baro
Reserve with
Palau del Baro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #88 of 727 Restaurants in Tarragona
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Especializados en carnes a la brasa.
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We have been visiting Tarragona for ten years or more bringing friends who come to stay with us in Sitges just up the coast.
The very first time we came to see the Roman city we discovered this old palace now a restaurant, Up the grand staircase there are various rooms decorated in classic Catalan 18th century styles. There is also a terrace on the first floor which, disappointingly, even though there is warm weather much earlier is only open in the summer.
Our last visit coincided with a competition amongst a group of Tarragona restaurants. So for only €19 a head we had a three course tasting menu and were given a bottle of the local white wine to take away. This is very special cuisine prepared in an elegant way which belies the prices.
We too have had groups lunching in one of the rooms all to ourselves.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

A group of twenty three of us took the private dining area on a short notice booking. We were treated to a fantastic dining experience with five beautiful tapas dishes to start and beautiful steak and sea food dishes,
try the wonderful sauces and dressings, real quality food perfectly prepared by a very talented chef and his staff. Great local wine that complemented each dish perfectly.

€27 menu and wines etc all verywell priced, cant wait till were back in Taragona.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

While wandering in Tarragona my husband and I spotted this place and we were able to read the English portion of the extensive menu, so we decided, on the spot, to go upstairs to the restaurant. What a great find! We were seated at a table for two outside on a lovely private patio. (Tables available inside, if desired).
The menu of the day is long, with many selections in each category and we were very glad to have selected that way of dining, as it was such a good value.
For a first course I had grilled vegetables with Romesco sauce (a Tarragona specialty) and Tom had mussels. Both dishes were large and very good. Tom's mussels were the best I have ever eaten. For a second course Tom choose Fisherman's Paella and I had baby squid with beans and mint. For desert I had traditional Catalan soft cheese with honey and walnuts and Tom had a lovely Tiramisu. All of this food was accompanied by wine, water and delicious warm bread, included for the fixed price. The service was prompt and friendly and we were delighted.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

TIred, dated. Slow service despite there only being 2 other couple there.

My starter was still frozen in the middle. Main course had a very peculiar carrot and squash puree - it was chilled - and was served with a so-called confit de canard which was bizarre - almost boiled. Many things on menu were not available. The waiter who was charming, told us the menu is new and is being roadtested and they plan to reduce the number of options available The room is in dire need of a paint job and re furb. The good things - the wine was delicious. We were given a lovely freeby of lemon sorbet with coconut to make up for the fact that most of our choices were not available.

2  Thank catllar
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I know this restaurant well as I've been a regular customer since 2007. I bring friends and family there, as well as groups of visitors, and can say I have never once been disappointed. Not only is the food excellent, this converted bourgeouis mansion provides a delightful backdrop whether looking for a romantic, executive, or group meal. Price is also very competitive.