“Don't tell everyone”
Review of Sitges

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Durham, United Kingdom
2 helpful votes
“Don't tell everyone”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

I have been racking my brains trying to find horrible things to say about Sitges...but I can't! What a truly wonderful place this is! A place where no one judges anyone, a place where families, straight and Gay all get along together. The beaches are stunning, the old town very scenic, the poeple are the friendliest I have come accross on my travels. But shhhh....don't tell everyone, we never want it to change.

1 Thank Michael F
London
“Outlet4 Spain - never use Outlet Spain - Terrible customer service”
Reviewed August 18, 2011

I have been to Sitges 7 or 8 times and always had an amazing holiday, but on this occasion I had the worst accommodation ever. I booked it through Outlet4 Spain and it was advertised as air conditioned throughout. The only room with air conditioning was the living room, not any of the three bedrooms. We found out from the downstairs neighbour that we had to empty a very large water bottle on the balcony every day from the air conditioning machine as it drips down to her balcony when it overflows. Outlet Spain did not make us aware of this.

The apartment was old and dirty with a very poor shower. The beds were so old two of them creaked so loudly we were woken up whenever one of us turned in the night. One bed had obviously broken before and been repaired with the wrong sized screw. As a result the corner post fell off in the night and the bed support frame snapped on one side as a result. We reported it to Outlet4 Spain who said the bed was fine when we arrived so they were charging us 50 Euros and they "were not willing to enter in to discussion about it". We've used Outlet Spain many times before so you think they might have been keen to keep our custom but apparently not!

They had advertised the apartment as suitable for up to 5 people but would only give the 4 of us staying there three sets of keys. We asked for an extra set and they said they would only give us one if we paid to get one cut. They really did try every opportunity possible to get extra money out of us despite us already having paid a high price for what was very poor accommodation.

I go to Sitges every year with a large group of friends and will make a point of telling everybody via Facebook etc not to use Outlet4Spain as they obviously see the pink pound as an easy source of money they can screw over at every opportunity. Next year when everybody is booking for Circuit I'll be sure to remind them of their terrible customer service and encourage them all to use one of Outlet4Spain's competitors that I have used in the past and received much better service, accommodation and value for money. I would definitely not use them again and would encourage anybody going to Sitges to use an alternative supplier for accommodation.

P Raybould

San Francisco
12 helpful votes
“Wonderful Seaside town”
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We went to Sitges for a few days to unwind after a cruise. It's an easy 30 minute train ride from Sants Station. We stayed at the Sunway resort a little way out of town. There's a tourist informaton office near the train station and they directed us to a local bus which stopped near the hotel. Buy a 10 pass card if you plan to use the bus often.

Sitges is situated near the Mediteranian sea and the main beach promenade stretches for 2 km. along the seashore. The beaches are cleaned every day, there were lifeguards at many, and each beach has at least on little cafe that sells food and beverages as well as sometimes offering chair and umbrella rental. Some beaches are rocky and some sandy, so don't settle on a rocky beach. Also, the further out of town you go the less crowded the beaches. As advised, don't bring valuables to the beach although we never saw any suspicious activity.

The town itself has a wonderful feel, somewhat like a mini-Barcelona. It offers the usual tourist stores and locally owned business'.. We heard the town was popular with gay people. Being from San Francisco, we didn't worry too much but didn't want to be in the middle of a big party scene. Our fears were unfounded as there were a wonderful mix of people and no group seemed over-represented. Do watch the event calendar, though. The week we left there was to be a big gay pride celebration and the city could have a different feel.

All-in-all a wonderful little town that is very close to Barcelona.

1 Thank TravelingSteve50
San Jose, Ca
1 helpful vote
“Fabulous Gay Friendly City”
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Just returned from Sitges! it is a woderful diverse tolerant city. Plenty to do- 29 Gay bars and clubs, 9 beaches and totally caters to the gay community. This is a gay European destination that is a gem! I will be returning!!

1 Thank MikeSanJose_Ca
Torrance, California
6 helpful votes
“Sitges is the perfect place for you AND your gay family members to visit”
Reviewed May 12, 2011

Last year I went on what was, especially for an American, a spectacular European vacation. We visited many places with an extended family group. The place that got the most votes from the most people for place I'm most likely to move to, was Sitges, near Barcelona, Spain. The oldest of the crew did not come with us to the nude beaches in Sitges, but the five who did encompassed, gay and straight, and conservative and liberal views, and we all agreed that this place is awesome. We figured out how to take a train ride out of Barcelona (our Spanish is not the best, but it was easy) for 20 minutes or so. Arriving in Sitges, we got a free map next to the train station at a tourist kiosk which told us which way to the beach. Most folks can figure out how to say "donde esta la playa?" all over the world, I think, but the map was helpful. We found the beach, an easy walk of a few blocks through a quaint and beautiful, small town with cobblestone streets, bars, restaurants, and tiny art shops and tourist souvenir joints. We ate a lovely, casual lunch at a bar across from the beach--chosen at random, they all looked okay with indoor and outdoor seating. Afterward, we hit the clothing optional/gay/straight beach. One of my relatives who is gay told us the farther north you go, the more exclusively gay the beachgoers were. We picked one that was relatively close (we were going back to Barcelona the same day so we were only staying on the beach a couple of hours). We wanted one that rented towels and chairs for 5 bucks or so. The Mediterranean Sea was beautiful to swim in. I enjoyed throwing the clothes off and getting buck naked at 12 noon, unlike in the U.S. I just changed into a swimsuit, though, BUT while I was naked, a beach vendor tried to sell me some sunglasses. I laughed and told my wife, "hmm, wonder where I'd pull out the cash from if I were buying?" and I said no thanks and got my suit on. We did see a little bit of over the top wildness, a younger, naked man swimming up to random older gay men in the water, but such is the stuff of vacation stories for later. After a quick shower in front of the world, and gay people, lesbians, and families with children all mixed together, we dressed to leave. On the way to the train we stopped at a bar and got a drink, Diet Coke for me, and a couple beers for my friends/family. I spoke German with the bartender--he said he'd come to visit from Germany 20 years ago and never went back home. Now he owns a bar there. That tells you something about how much various Europeans love it there. Isn't it nice to go somewhere, that, for once, even your GAY family members feel like "thank you for visiting here. We accept you here, we love to have your business." Sitges made our family vacation lovely, for all of our family members, no matter their beliefs or sexual orientations. We loved Sitges and all of us hope to visit again.

1 Thank ShawnfromChicago

Been to Sitges? Share your experiences!